Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pin Gage Set to Measure GPs

Feedback Score

Pin Gage Set to Measure GPs

Is there a reasonable option for a set like this in the sizes needed to measure gas ports? All I see are massive sets with 90% of the set too small or big for this application. Doesn’t someone make one just for this application? Any ideas or advice? Thanks!
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Black River Tactical recently recommended using drill bit as an accurate way to measure gas ports. Of course, there are probably less options as opposed to dedicated gauges.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    Black River Tactical recently recommended using drill bit as an accurate way to measure gas ports. Of course, there are probably less options as opposed to dedicated gauges.
    This^, been doing it for years

Sent from my Alcatel_5059R using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    EDIT - Sorry I lost track of what you wanted.

Just google: '.073 pin gage' substituting the number you want.

I have this set of pin gauges ($49.95):

https://www.amazon.com/HFS-0-061-0-2...gateway&sr=8-3

These sound better from the description ($69.00):

0.061''-0.250'' x 190 Pcs, size electro etched on each piece
    Overall length 2'', all members 2'' long, centerless lapped
    Finish: Each gauge has a 10 micro finish or better
    Hardness: Heat treated 60-62 RC
    Tolerance: All gauges with .0002'' limit, plus or minus

https://www.amazon.com/Accusize-Tool...ateway&sr=8-13

The wire drill bits might be accurate, but there are 13 different dimensions to measure (if you want to hit them all) and those drills bits would likely cost you more than the pin set.

Trigger pin holes ought to be .155, here you go ($2.75):

https://megadepot.com/product/vermon...SABEgJmlPD_BwE

Just google '.155 pin gage' substitute the size you want and go from there.

Class ZZ Gages - These gages have an inch tolerance of .0002” and a metric tolerance of .005mm. They are practical where good precision and speed are important.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 06-29-19 at 13:20.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I just run a big sewing needle. It's tapered. I insert the needle and use calipers to measer the needle where it stops in the port. Good enough to get me within .001"
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Is there a reasonable option for a set like this in the sizes needed to measure gas ports? All I see are massive sets with 90% of the set too small or big for this application. Doesn’t someone make one just for this application? Any ideas or advice? Thanks!
    This is the set I bought...

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/pr...ages/S4003-250

The first three rows has the size range for gas port measuring. When I was first shopping around for a set I tried to find a quality set with just that range and gave up. After buying this set I've found I use the larger pins more often for other tasks than I do measuring gas ports. That said every barrel I touch gets a stick down the hole, in fact, I broke it out just a few weeks ago at one IG's armorer courses.
    Last edited by titsonritz; 06-29-19 at 16:08.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post

The first three rows has the size range for gas port measuring. When I was first shopping around for a set I tried to find a quality set with just that range and gave up. After buying this set I've found I use the larger pins more often for other tasks than I do measuring gas ports. That said every barrel I touch gets a stick down the hole, in fact, I broke it out just a few weeks ago at one IG's armorer courses.
    Do you have a link to IG's armorer courses?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Do you have a link to IG's armorer courses?
    He posts them all the time here...https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdispl...ents-amp-AAR-s
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I just run a big sewing needle. It's tapered. I insert the needle and use calipers to measer the needle where it stops in the port. Good enough to get me within .001"
    That’s a great idea. I will try that while exploring some of these options

Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post

What did you mean by “first three lines”?

I got excited about the Megadepot site until I saw the $100 minimum.....
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast