Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polymer tip ammo in your AR?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Polymer tip ammo in your AR?

I am having issues with the polymer tips breaking off during chambering. The rifle is a BCM 16" mid-length with a BCM bolt carrier group. The ammo is Hornady VMAX 55 grain handloads. Is there any secret to get polymer tips to function reliably in an AR or is it just the nature for them to break off due to the violent chambering of the cartridge? Thanks.
    Live free or die trying!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Never had any issues with tipped ammo in an AR. Two things come to mind:

1. Your bullet seating depth may need to be changed (probably shorter if you have OAL set to 2.250") or...

2. There's a low probability that there's an issue with the upper. i.e. miss-aligned barrel extension, etc.

(also... PMAGs have a higher feed angle than USGI, so that might help it you're not already using them.)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.56Geo View Post
    I am having issues with the polymer tips breaking off during chambering. The rifle is a BCM 16" mid-length with a BCM bolt carrier group. The ammo is Hornady VMAX 55 grain handloads. Is there any secret to get polymer tips to function reliably in an AR or is it just the nature for them to break off due to the violent chambering of the cartridge? Thanks.
    Umpteen vmax and tmks through ARs. I'd follow markm's breadcrumbs above.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Has this upper ever worked with plastic tips? If this is a new batch of bullets they may be defective.

Feedback Score
    I have fired over 20,000 rounds of V-Maxes through ARs. Never a broken tip. It’s likely a COAL problem or your bullets are old and have become brittle. That isn’t uncommon with polymer tips, especially with light exposure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by twm134 View Post
    Has this upper ever worked with plastic tips? If this is a new batch of bullets they may be defective.
    This is a possibility. We had some Nosler Accubonds that had defective/brittle tips. I doubt this is the case with Hornady, but you never know.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks guys for the replies...

A little more information:

1. COAL is 2.25” on these hand loads
    2. I have only used Magpul PMAGs magazines
    3. I have never shot any Polymer tipped ammo through this BCM
    4. These projectiles are about 3 years old but have been stored in a sealed container in the reloading room

I did try and break the tip off a few unloaded projectiles which proved to be a bit difficult. I will re-seat these a little shorter. Where should I start?

Thanks again guys. My apologies to those of you that have heard/seen this topic umpteen times. I come in peace and appreciate and recognize the wealth of knowledge found here so I yield to you with the upmost respect.
    -Geo
    Live free or die trying!

Feedback Score
    I would try them at 2.20-2.22” range. Be sure that isn’t going to increase your pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Factory Hornady ammo loaded with 55 V-max measures about 2.225". Maybe try that COAL.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    I would try them at 2.20-2.22” range. Be sure that isn’t going to increase your pressure.
    I agree. Pressure shouldn't be an issue unless you're really running a stout load already. That extra jump to the lands bleeds off a sliver of initial pressure, so I'd just spin that seater down and give it go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast