Thread: NFA wait, "Pending" Vs. "In Process" (with examiner)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

NFA wait, "Pending" Vs. "In Process" (with examiner)

So I did a little research and came up with nothing. Though I feel I've read some related things in the past.

So I have stamps that had the check cashed and went "pending" July 31st, 2018. This may of 2019 I started calling the ATF to see the 'status', On the 5 I was allowed to ask for the day they were all "Pending" was the word given.

I called back beginning of June, another woman told me they were all "Pending". At this point I has learned to ask if the had been assigned to an examiner, none had.

Today, July first I called for my monthly update. This time I spoke to a man, and he said "In process", I asked if it had been assigned to an examiner and he said yes, and asked if I wanted to be connected to that extension. I said no and checked my four others for the day. All five I was allowed to check today were "in Process" and with an examiner. I asked this ATF man if "in process" was different than "pending" as I'd previously been told "pending", in standard ATF fashion he said "all he could tell me was the status of the submission"

So here are three questions:

1) Are "pending" and "in process" two different ATF terms?

2) How long does it typically take to be approved once an examiner has been assigned. I've read some people who stated they called and it was "pending" then shortly later it was "with an examiner" and that days after that it was approved. Is the wait mostly over once its assigned an examiner?

3) Do I have anything to be gained from speaking to the actual examiner? Are there certain questions worth asking them?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Once I hit 10 months I started calling once every month. Last time I called and mine were pending, then less than two weeks later I had them in the mailbox. So I imagine if they are in processing then you should get them in a week or two. Took mine right at 12 months turn around.

ETA: on another stamp, it was 14 months and I called for the first time, lady said I needed to speak to a supervisor since it was over 12 months. She forwarded my call and I left a message. Next week I had stamp in hand.
    Last edited by ace4059; 07-01-19 at 13:00.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    I would lean towards them being the same thing. “In Process” is the status you’ll see in EForms instead of Pending.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMS951 View Post

1) Are "pending" and "in process" two different ATF terms?

2) How long does it typically take to be approved once an examiner has been assigned. I've read some people who stated they called and it was "pending" then shortly later it was "with an examiner" and that days after that it was approved. Is the wait mostly over once its assigned an examiner?

3) Do I have anything to be gained from speaking to the actual examiner? Are there certain questions worth asking them?
    1) I would agree with BigWaylon, they are likely the same thing.

2) The time to actually approve an application once someone begins working it probably varies somewhat from examiner to examiner and application to application. Some have errors to be corrected, others not. Some have trusts to be reviewed, various numbers of responsible persons, etc.

3) I'd say it's better to let them be and allow them to work without bothering them. If there's an issue with your application they will contact your dealer, possibly you as well, if they have contact information for you on the form 4.

I once had a customer who called the ATF weekly to check on a single suppressor. He eventually got the same operator enough times that the gentleman at ATF suggested he stop calling.

I know it's frustrating not knowing where you are in line, but calling doesn't actually provide much in the way of useful information and doesn't speed things up. I certainly wouldn't want to be the guy who's called enough times that they start to recognize my voice...
    Last edited by Tx_Aggie; 07-02-19 at 07:35.

Feedback Score
    Good advice from Tx Aggie.
    I called to check on a FM1 (I was trying to make sure filled out correct) I got a response then a E-mail returned disapproved and a note to resubmit and refund of $ can be held up to 1 year. Paperwork filled out same way, resubmitted back with second $200 approved in 3 to 5 weeks. First $200 returned months later.
    Now if it's over a year I'd probably check in on it, my second 30 cal can did but I already had one so no real rush for it.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Ok, so I called again today. I have 10 pending stamps, you can only check on 5 in a day they tell me.

Yesterday I checked on 5 of my 6 that went pending 7/31/19.

Today I checked a wider spread, my submissions range 9 months. Here's what I got.

Today, all of them were "pending", I rechecked some of yesterdays to see what term the guy today would use, all those referred to as "in process" yesterday were "pending" today. So its two terms for4 the same thing. Mystery solved there.

Today I checked one form 4/19, one from 9/20/18 and three from 7/31/18. The one from 9/20/18 had not yet been assigned to an examiner.

All 3 from 7/31/18 had been assigned examiners (I knew this). Today I tried asking for the examiners name, it was given to me. All three are with the same examiner.

At this point I will leave them alone and feel secure my first 6 stamps from 7/31/19 are not long out.

Feedback Score
    Today I received an update from my congressional representative's office on my seven outstanding Form 4's. They received a notice from the ATF. For each outstanding firearm the ATF stated " Application for serial number: X is currently being processed" where X is the serial number of the firearm. I agree with you, just different words for the same thing.