Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Feedback Score

Quitting Smoking

It was twenty years ago this month I had my last cigarette.

I had smoked a pack a day for over ten years. With God's help and the patches I finally was able to quit after several abortive attempts over the two years between 1997 and 1999. July 1999 was my last cigarette--ever.

I don't miss it one tiny bit.

The purpose of this thread is to encourage. If you think you can quit, you CAN. If you think you can't quit, you CAN'T.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I just quit a 2.5-3 can a day copenhagen habit. About 30 yrs of it.....

Patches & lozenges for a month, then just 100% quit nicotine. Sucked. Still sucks. But been about 10 weeks now 0 nic.

For those thinking about it, my health insurance offered a program called "Quit for Life". They have coaches & people you can talk to about how to go about quitting & strategy & stuff. They will also give you patches, gum, or lozenges for free (choose the patches as those cost the most to buy yourself). But that program was free thru health insurance, prevented me from paying an extra penalty for being a tobacco user, and $100 worth of patches.

There's also kill the can forum. They weren't for me, but help lots of people with their method too. They're entirely free and take a cold turkey approach so there's no expense of patches, gem, etc either. Maybe bubble gum or Jolly Ranchers or whatever, but no real expense with them....

Feedback Score
    I started smoking on April 2, 1969, my second day in Vietnam. Smoked until 1986 when my then 4 year old daughter, hearing me cough in the morning, said that if I kept smoking I'd die and she wouldn't have her daddy. Shortly thereafter I quit cold one Saturday morning. There were no patches then, just Nicorette gum which I hated and refused to chew. It was certainly an interesting weekend and a couple of days thereafter. Anyone can do it, you just have to have the commitment to quit and be willing to deal with coming down from a nicotine addiction. For some time thereafter you have to avoid the company of those who smoke and refrain from alcohol which might weaken your resolve.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quitter.

Seriously though, good for you. It's a nasty habit I'm glad I never picked up.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Quitter.

Seriously though, good for you. It's a nasty habit I'm glad I never picked up.
    Exactly! Quitters never win!!

But I really need to. Been smoking since about 1998. A few years ago something just clicked and I quit cold turkey. Didn't even have the withdrawal, no desire, no anything. Then winter kicked in bad and our area lost power for close to a month. With no work and nothing to do at home boredom kicked in and I started smoking again.

Feedback Score
    Managed to quit due to an e-cig , now I don’t smoke and don’t vape at all. It was a big mistake even to start smoking, I began at college, enjoyed social smoking and all this turned into an awful habit.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleKohl View Post
    turned into an awful habit.
    ABSOLUTELY! Financially and health wise. It now costs me about $50/week. A cup of coffee and a pack of cigarettes in the morning is just under $10, every morning. I don't even need to get into the health aspects.

Started in highschool at about 16. Managed to quit for 2 months around 19. Then for about half year in 2014.

Started socially then with coffee, then with alcohol then after food then.....then... and before I knew it I was up to about a pack a day sometimes slightly more. And because it becomes a habit of other habits it becomes extremely difficult to quit

Back then, at 16, I thought I was cool as shit. James Dean and the Marlboro man rolled into one! Today I see teens and think omg they're just babies, did I actually look like that when I was their age?!?!
    Last edited by Arik; 07-13-19 at 10:28.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I smoked lightly/socially from my late teen years into my early twenties and thank goodness I dropped the habit before it got too bad. I was beginning to see the signs of dependence and addiction, which were hard enough to break at that point. I can only imagine how hard it is for somebody after decades of tobacco use. My sister and her husband are smokers and I've done everything, short of begging, to convince them to stop. I watched them try and fail many times. I still have hope.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I trip out when I'm driving to work in the morning and see someone smoking in their car so early. Yuck!
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I trip out when I'm driving to work in the morning and see someone smoking in their car so early. Yuck!
    Yep that's would be me. 6am on the way to work a cup of coffee and a cigarette. Time of day doesn't make a difference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast