Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quitting Smoking

Feedback Score
    I started as a teen and I quit New Year’s Day 2000 when I was 26...about ten years with the last few at my heaviest. Cold turkey no patches etc. I smoked at least a pack a day and more on weekends. I strongly believe it is more psychological than physical and have for years. My wife’s uncle is the dept chief of Psychiatry and a professor at a major teaching hospital. I asked him his thoughts and he said there was a lot of data to support that. I also never felt a buzz or anything from smoking. I feel it is as least 50% similar to people biting their nails or cracking knuckles. For me I think it was 90%

It sucked and it took years to not want a smoke when I smelled someone light up (more evidence it’s mostly psychological). Now I can’t stand the smell. My biggest motivation was my friends telling me how hard it was and how they couldn’t do it. I’m hyper competitive and that is all I needed. My two best friend continued for several years after me and I threw it in their face all the time! They eventually quit in their own time.

The worst contributor to this “addiction” is smoking on a schedule- morning drive, after meals, when drinking, etc.

I will leave you with this- two years ago they found a small low grade tumor in my bladder that was removed. My doc and several others I consulted strongly believe it was caused by my smoking all those years ago. I’m not 100% convinced but glad I stopped. I also cut out artificial sweeteners and soda just to be sure. Cystoscope checkups every 6 months suck.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Yep that's would be me. 6am on the way to work a cup of coffee and a cigarette. Time of day doesn't make a difference
    That's harsh.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    That's harsh.
    I don't have issues with time of day and stuff like this. Even food. If I'm up it doesn't matter. 6am I can have liver and onions on a pizza with a beer and whiskey. Just as easy have oatmeal for dinner. Whether it's 6am or 6pm doesn't matter to me

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Me too with food. And I'm not an anti smoking nazi... but something about that sunrise smoke... Yowza.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12