Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Broward Sheriff’s Office loses its accreditation

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    You guys keep bring up that ruling... While I think its a bad ruling, i could see it applying to an officer on patrol, etc. And especially if in a suit by someone harmed by officer inaction in some random crime.

Resource officers are not beat cops, at least in our state. Completely different job description and R&R. Cush duty, except when its not.

Their primary responsibility is the protection of students and teachers. Not enforcememt or "peacekeeping".

I think there is a point when a reasonable person would say an officer would be ok not to advance. Well barricaded bad guy, outgunned, bad tactical situation, chose not to advance.

But that is not what happened here... It is on camera. The guy hid outside, did not even go in adjacent buildings.

He's an outright coward, and I cant believe the armchair lawyers defending the behavior.

Same for the officer who arrived on scene and took control. Then did not allow anyone to enter.

Something is seriously broken in Broward.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pinzgauer View Post
    You guys keep bring up that ruling... While I think its a bad ruling, i could see it applying to an officer on patrol, etc. And especially if in a suit by someone harmed by officer inaction in some random crime.

Resource officers are not beat cops, at least in our state. Completely different job description and R&R. Cush duty, except when its not.

Their primary responsibility is the protection of students and teachers. Not enforcememt or "peacekeeping".

I think there is a point when a reasonable person would say an officer would be ok not to advance. Well barricaded bad guy, outgunned, bad tactical situation, chose not to advance.

But that is not what happened here... It is on camera. The guy hid outside, did not even go in adjacent buildings.

He's an outright coward, and I cant believe the armchair lawyers defending the behavior.

Same for the officer who arrived on scene and took control. Then did not allow anyone to enter.

Somebody gotst to go have a look or how the hell does anyone even know whats going on where and what action can be taken.

Yeah Im sure that sucks alone but FFS you can at least push yourself foward til it actually gets hairy or you can pin down a location and a semblance of a situation

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It is good to bring up the supreme Court ruling. Perhaps someone will go look it up when the powers that be make the claim police are there to protect people as they try to sell gun control and similar initiatives.

Feedback Score
    You guys keep bring up that ruling... While I think its a bad ruling, i could see it applying to an officer on patrol, etc. And especially if in a suit by someone harmed by officer inaction in some random crime...
    I remember when our Legal Officer told us about this court decision at In Service Training (back in the ‘80’s). He seemed delighted and I was aghast. IIRC, a woman in Washington, DC called Police to report her ex-boyfriend was trying to break into her house. The Police showed up, spotlighted the residence, and cleared the call.

Evidently the ex-boyfriend had gained access to the residence and spent the next several hours sexually assaulting her. Yet SCOTUS ruled Police have no duty to protect any one individual.

I know most municipal police officers have stacked calls but I would have at least exited my patrol car and made contact with the Complainant before moving on to the next call.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    You can't expect policemen to trade their lives for those of children that they don't know. They didn't sign up for that.
    Actually they did sign up for it.

And get this, Fireman sign up to run into burning buildings to save people they do not know.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation (CFA) cited BSO’s mishandling of the Parkland school shooting last year and the Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport shooting in 2017 as reasons for its decision in a 13-0 vote last week.
    2 years too late. Perhaps if they took action right after the airport, changes could have been made before Parkland.

But yanking the accreditation now, years after the incidents, when most of the senior personnel responsible are gone, is typical bureaucratic bungling. They should have their ability to accredit/disacredit anyone yanked.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    2 years too late. Perhaps if they took action right after the airport, changes could have been made before Parkland.

But yanking the accreditation now, years after the incidents, when most of the senior personnel responsible are gone, is typical bureaucratic bungling. They should have their ability to accredit/disacredit anyone yanked.
    The whole system is broken in Broward County at nearly all levels.
    Remember, the School System was key in covering up some of the perps escapades so as not to make their record look bad.
    How many times were people out to that house to interview this guy because of some very questionable behavior?
    Then there is the Teacher who looked the other way when this guy came on campus and even failed to report his presence while he was carrying that gun in a case.
    That's likely the last place I would want to live in and or raise kids in. The only people who are safe are the Cops, the Politicians and the School Board.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    The whole system is broken in Broward County at nearly all levels.
    Remember, the School System was key in covering up some of the perps escapades so as not to make their record look bad.
    How many times were people out to that house to interview this guy because of some very questionable behavior?
    Then there is the Teacher who looked the other way when this guy came on campus and even failed to report his presence while he was carrying that gun in a case.
    That's likely the last place I would want to live in and or raise kids in. The only people who are safe are the Cops, the Politicians and the School Board.
    Again all those things were years ago. Thus they should have pulled it years ago. Or better, have a probation period to fix stuff, say 6 months then pull if not fixed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Again all those things were years ago. Thus they should have pulled it years ago. Or better, have a probation period to fix stuff, say 6 months then pull if not fixed.
    I believe they waited this long in an effort to allow a lot of CYA to take place.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Actually they did sign up for it.

And get this, Fireman sign up to run into burning buildings to save people they do not know.
    Entertainingly (or not. Maybe just fascinatingly?) enough, firefighters have the inverse problem: Too many firefighters are too willing to run into burning buildings, even when no one is in the building. No people, no pets, not even anything especially valuable and irreplaceable. And it gets firefighters killed over basically nothing. But firefighters still want to charge into the blaze.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast