Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. Military's 'New' 6.8 Caliber Round ?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Yes, but with 22” of barrel, not 13”. And with the case size of 7.62x51, which I do not find desireable.

That velocity in a 13” barrel is.... hot.
    Thanks for the clarification. So, are they looking to replace both of 7.62 and 5.56 in multiple applications with a single cartridge?

That specification probably requires development of some new type of gunpowder. Any word on this? I remember reading an article a few years back about a new high-tech lower volume/lower temperature powder development, but not sure if that went anywhere.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What you guys are probably forgetting is that the pentagon isnt worried about fighting the last war. They want to fight wars of the future. This round may not even be fired from the M4 carbine as we know it. Most likely this is next gen space force solcitions for their mobile infantry.

Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    That’s intriguing, not only the round but the platform and long recoil system.

I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That cartridge will be hell on barrels. However, I like the design of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    How will all this help if there is no additional money for more training?

Someone smart can probably come up with a calculation of this program vs. equipping standard M4A1's with

- Free float handguard
    - Better trigger ( sturdy for field use )
    - 4-6x optics being procured already
    - Ammo improvements

And most importantly, more good training and range time.

How many servicemen have the actual weapon handling and marksmanship skills to utilize the performance gains this would give ? ( keeping in mind the negative effects, such as increase recoil, weapon weight/size )

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    This? Really? Okay then... I guess the industry delivered what the army spec'ed out.

I have a sarcastic tone here as *I personally* see zero chance of this being ever adopted. They might as well adopt an existing platform something like this: https://falkordefense.com/rifles/petra/

I have been wrong before though and we have seen multiple examples of some weird small arms platforms being widely adopted, albeit typically for a short period.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuukka View Post
    How will all this help if there is no additional money for more training?

Someone smart can probably come up with a calculation of this program vs. equipping standard M4A1's with

- Free float handguard
    - Better trigger ( sturdy for field use )
    - 4-6x optics being procured already
    - Ammo improvements

And most importantly, more good training and range time.

How many servicemen have the actual weapon handling and marksmanship skills to utilize the performance gains this would give ? ( keeping in mind the negative effects, such as increase recoil, weapon weight/size )
    The Army is working on addressing the training issue: https://gatdaily.com/the-army-update...on-tc-3-20-40/

The article is relatively lengthy for those who zone out after 250 characters. It does point out that this new standard is not the "be all, end all" but it is a step up from the old.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alx01 View Post
    This? Really? Okay then... I guess the industry delivered what the army spec'ed out.

I have a sarcastic tone here as *I personally* see zero chance of this being ever adopted. They might as well adopt an existing platform something like this: https://falkordefense.com/rifles/petra/

I have been wrong before though and we have seen multiple examples of some weird small arms platforms being widely adopted, albeit typically for a short period.
    No one is addressing the weight/bulk issue.

Any combination that is better on paper but decreases rounds carried for the same weight loadout is a non-starter.

Or increased weight for the same loadout.

Until a breakthru happens this is a non-starter. Caseless, new powder, etc.

I think it's a good idea to keep pushing the state of the possible, I just don't see this particular implementation as a practical solution yet. But interesting idea.

They have to address, weight, recoil, and bulk. Otherwise as mentioned they could just pick 270 WSM now, that's not what they're trying to do.

Feedback Score
    I see this going the way of the OICW.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast