Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: U.S. Military's 'New' 6.8 Caliber Round ?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Going with a 6.8 caliber projectile is not as interesting to me as seeing a polymer style case working in battlefield conditions. Also, when this wonder cartridge comes forth what does that look like for the civilian shooter who wants to shoot/ load their own.

jpgm

Feedback Score
    I'm all for innovation. With the performance they're asking for, there are other areas of performance that would need addressed. Specifically:

- Weapon size and weight (think small frame gun, large frame magwell), there are sub-7lb AR10's out there
    - Recoil impulse mitigation
    - Ammunition weight and capacity
    - Visual and acoustic weapon signature
    - Service life

With companies like HK working with Textron, I could see the potential for things to really be optimized as a system if they're paying attention. A small frame, 5.56 sized weapon with large frame magwell could do a LOT with the right design and materials behind it. Think of things like next-gen barrel materials and manufacturing processes that could leave us with a barrel that capable of withstanding the ballistic requirements they're after with no loss in service life compared to what we're currently using. Same goes for recoil reduction capabilities, lightweight ammo in 25 round magazines, etc...How many companies actually possess the engineering and design capabilities to pull that off? I think HK and Textron are up to it, but all that engineering ain't gonna be free.

Tspeis

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    All this money they dump into these projects we could probably have energy weapons by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567