Thread: Filing buffer tube -- potential issues?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Filing buffer tube -- potential issues?

As is, the receiver extension sufficiently covers the buffer retaining pin. For whatever reason, I'm anal about how much coverage the buffer tube has over the retainer. So while it works as is, I wanted to get one more rotation of the buffer tube.

In order to get one more rotation, I filed down the entire face of the buffer tube; eliminating the lip at the bottom, as well as taking a bit from the top of the tube as well.

Again, all is well. I can now get another full rotation of the buffer tube and the detent has adequate coverage to soothe my annoyance. Uppers close without issue and while I haven't fired it yet, the bolt catch engages on an empty mag.

With that said, I did shorten the tube, albeit a very small amount and thus shortened the amount of rearward travel the BCG has before the buffer bottoms out.

What potential issues can arise from me shortening the tube? Again, while it is a very small amount, it is still shorter than before.

Best guess, I removed ~ 1/16".
    Last edited by phixion; 07-02-19 at 17:09.
    Shooter like Kukoč

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I seriously doubt you will find any different in the function of the weapon. People stick quarters in their RE to decrease space, so your minimalistic creation via material removal shouldn't be noticeable.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This sounds like a bad idea at face value. Although it may work most of the time, the additional rearward travel of the bolt/buffer gives the bolt catch enough time to spring up into proper position to catch the front of the bolt.

Hot ammo and/or an over gassed gun combined with this modification may give you failures to lock back properly in live fire... or may cause the catch to engage the carrier and not the bolt.
    Last edited by markm; 07-02-19 at 18:37.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    All risk and no gain.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Fair enough; one detractor was all I needed. I'll install an unmodified receiver extension.

The buffer, while under spring pressure, pushes the retainer forward (obviously), giving even less coverage of the retainer. Without the buffer/spring installed, there is clear forward/back movement when I wiggle the retainer.

When the buffer tube kisses the post of the retainer, no movement is present when under pressure from the buffer and spring or when I manipulate it by hand. Because of that, I filed the buffer tube down to get that extra rotation needed in order to "kiss the post".

Again, truly a non-issue, it's just an annoyance of mine.

It's a Colt lower w/ a Colt LPK. 3 different Colt receiver extensions provide the same coverage of the retainer. It may be just how this particular lower was drilled. I'll press on.

Thanks
    Last edited by phixion; 07-02-19 at 20:01.
    Shooter like Kukoč

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The thing is this...

When you close the action on a properly made AR, the back of the bolt carrier pushes the buffer back slightly as the upper pivots down onto the lower. Thus the retainer is not under load by the buffer and is centered up in its hole.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    You could always go to Forward Controls Design and get their enhanced buffer retainer pin that has a bit more girth. Won’t allow the RE to cover more of the pin, but the extra material will mean that it’s more durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.