Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: My reliability upgrades for the AR-15:

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3 AE View Post
    There is much wisdom in your words. On the other side of the coin. If everyone followed those six commandments the AR industry would most likely tank!
    That's not really accurate. That list is addressing reliability. The rest of the "AR industry", which I assume you mean optics, furniture, triggers, etc. has essentially nothing to do with reliability. Maybe the KAC bolt does, but I don't know a whole lot about that.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    A few quick takeaway's from a Mike Pannone article;

AR's rely heavily on Springs and Lube. Make sure the buffer, mag and extractor springs are all in tip top shape. If I didnt buy a BCM BCG, I put the BCM extractor enhancement kit in the BCG. I only run Pmags or GI and if a mag has spring or feedlip issues it gets crushed and thrown in the trash. Use a quality buffer spring and a heavier buffer. I prefer H2.

For inspection purposes make sure the BCG can stand on the bolt face without retracting. This test ensures that your gas rings are tight enough. After a simple gas ring check all you need is a thin coating of lube. AR's run better wet.
    Interesting about the lube part. Noner is currently running a test on IG on a new AR build constructed purely from random, dry spare parts to see when malfs start. He predicts 2.5-3k and was at 800rd at the last update.

Feedback Score
    Tim on Military Arms Channel is also running a non-lube failure test. He has over 4k through a dry BCM with no failures yet.
    Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otSWDrp9ebk&t=775s
    ----
    Whatever the original reason for this thread, I'm finding it really thought-provoking. I have a Sport II with close to 3k rounds, and the only issue I've had was stuck steel cases, and a good chamber scrub handled that. I am starting to think ahead about replacement of wear parts, so this thread is giving me options--THANKS for the thoughtful replies!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    My AR-15 reliability upgrades:

1. Buy a quality rifle.

2. Use good magazines. USGI Okay, or Pmag.

3. Use good ammo.

4. Clean the rifle (but no need for fanaticism here).

5. Do not use grease.

6. Apply plenty of CLP.
    Is CLP good for Cleaning and lube of Nickel Boron BCGS? THank you in advance.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    deleted
    Last edited by TomMcC; 07-28-19 at 20:02.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Vltor A5
    G SSA trigger
    Magpul MIAD gip
    Stubby VFG, if needed

Nightforce scope !!
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by shep854 View Post
    Tim on Military Arms Channel is also running a non-lube failure test. He has over 4k through a dry BCM with no failures yet.
    Tim wiped the BCG down with CLP at the start of the test. So not exactly dry.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Same here. Zero issues on mine. Not saying it couldn't happen, just hasn't happened to me. And we're talking several thousand rounds.
    Interesting, hadn't heard that. I have 2 older Sionics BCGs, one with 500, the other closer to 1000 on them and haven't had that happen. I just ordered another one, so if the extractor isn't coated, I won't be surprised. OT, but they are by far my favorite BCG. They save quite a bit of cleaning time.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678