Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much Bolt Carrier Staking Is Enough?

Feedback Score

How Much Bolt Carrier Staking Is Enough?

We've all encountered varying degrees of staking to bolt carrier screws over the years. Given that "enough" is whatever it takes to keep the fasteners from loosening, how much is enough?

Referencing the pic below, I've always gravitated toward Colt and BCM bolt carriers because they tend to have what I've labeled "GOOD" staking as in the picture. I recently purchased a bolt carrier from RightToBear that was "just inside" this quality of staking as well.

But how much is enough? Although I'd hesitate to call the "WEAK" staking on the right good enough to keep the fasteners from loosening under pressure--I could be wrong, couldn't I?

So "how much is enough?" Is deforming the opening next to the fastener head enough, or must enough material be displaced that it visibly covers part of the fastener head?

STAKING COMPARISON.jpg

Feedback Score
    I prefer to see the "good" example. I can improve the staking on the other two myself.

Which BCG did you buy from RTB?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    I prefer to see the "good" example. I can improve the staking on the other two myself.

Which BCG did you buy from RTB?
    This one:

https://www.righttobear.com/Mil-Spec...ey-p/phclc.htm

Feedback Score
    Funny. I almost bought that two months ago. The specs looked good, and it says it's properly staked. Which picture best describes that one?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tehpwnag3 View Post
    Funny. I almost bought that two months ago. The specs looked good, and it says it's properly staked. Which picture best describes that one?
    It's on the "good" side, just a tad less aggressive. The displaced material covers the fastener more like the divots on the right side of the "GOOD" pic rather than the left--if you can see the difference..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Wish the manufacturers believed in "do it right or not at all”.

Half assed assemby of gun parts is getting old.

Feedback Score
    Brownells does offer a staking tool if you've got one that isn't up to snuff. I have one bolt carrier in a parts box somewhere that could probably benefit from this:

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...content=Social

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    It's also important that proper carrier key screws are used and torqued properly (58 in/lbs from the IG armorer notes).

There are a coupe of manufactures (Young Mfg and I don't recall the other) that do not stake the key screws at all and stand by the torque spec being sufficient (though not to mil-spec).

Feedback Score
    Smith Enterprises, which I've owned and never had a problem with.

Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    It's also important that proper carrier key screws are used and torqued properly (58 in/lbs from the IG armorer notes).

There are a coupe of manufactures (Young Mfg and I don't recall the other) that do not stake the key screws at all and stand by the torque spec being sufficient (though not to mil-spec).

Feedback Score
    Here it is, just the carrier is $180.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod77828.aspx

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast