Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Offset irons, offset red dot, or invest in new mount?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimb0 View Post
    You make a good point, I think I’ll go with offset irons.
    And it really depends where you live - obviously an offset RDS has all the RDS over irons advantage, and if you live in a moderate climate where fogging isn't an issue, go for it.

But in the summer / winter, taking a cold / warm weapon & optic outside can lead to fogging / condensation - and it typically isn't a quick fix - here in the south, you can wipe it off and you'll be ok for 15-30 seconds, then it will be fogged again and again. The optic needs to reach ambient temp before it will completely go away.

Now for a gamer gun that's going to be outside all day, likely it doesn't matter and RDS is a smart choice.

I do have an RMR in a Reptilia piggyback scope mount, but I have offset irons on that rifle too (no regular irons).

Feedback Score
    I’ve got a couple set of offset iron sights that were just $29 and basically rock, elevation drum in the rear, I shot several high power matches at different ranges with them and did quite acceptably. I think they are a great answer.

I took off my $159 set of Aero Precision flipup BUIS in favor of this simple steel offset.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    And it really depends where you live - obviously an offset RDS has all the RDS over irons advantage, and if you live in a moderate climate where fogging isn't an issue, go for it.

But in the summer / winter, taking a cold / warm weapon & optic outside can lead to fogging / condensation - and it typically isn't a quick fix - here in the south, you can wipe it off and you'll be ok for 15-30 seconds, then it will be fogged again and again. The optic needs to reach ambient temp before it will completely go away.

Now for a gamer gun that's going to be outside all day, likely it doesn't matter and RDS is a smart choice.

I do have an RMR in a Reptilia piggyback scope mount, but I have offset irons on that rifle too (no regular irons).
    Also, if you are out hunting or whatever, and it's at that magical temperature where liquid water falls and rapidly on metal turns to ice. Can really cloud up an optic beyond your ability to wipe it. Same for ultra cold when you exhale and it inadvertantly hits the glass. Done.
    Last edited by WS6; 07-04-19 at 07:29.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    I prefer offset irons as humidity / fogging optics can be a big issue down south. So if my RDS / Scope is fogged over, so will an offset RDS.
    By chance, have you tried using Cat Crap on your glass?

The paste works wonders and I haven’t had any fogging issues with my eye pro/optics/NODs.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree with PB. Magpul offsets are really nice for the $$. If you can afford the price, KAC is another good choice.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    I ran a T-1 offset to my Leupold Mark AR on my SPR... but then I went with a Vortex PST, which made more sense in the urban cessmaze, than a 3x9. But an offset red dot was veddy, veddy, nice to have.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Is there an offset BUIS set that works with the rear sight placed in front of an ACOG? Due to the very limited eye relief of my ACOG I had to mount it all the way back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    I dont have offset, but I love my KAC micros. I also would vote for the KAC sights.
    It sounds like you may know what I went through. Follow me here.

I started with A2 irons and thought they were great. But then I saw KAC rear sights and went ballistic. They were hitting distant targets and the pedestal design was so out of the way and cool. But then I bent under the optics peer pressure. I began to think I was missing something without a red dot or magnified optic. So I got a 2.5X P.A. prism. It was great for identifying targets at maybe 75-200 yards and making great shots at that distance. The QD American Defense mount held zero and I didn't have to even turn on the electronics using the black reticle. But it was heavy--about a pound all together. I wanted something lighter for home defense in the basement and around the house. I got a Sig Romeo 3. It came with a QD mount. It was "shake-awake" and was said to have a great battery life. It lasted two months, was only really effective to 50 yards, the battery died after two months, and the QD detachable mount did not hold zero. But, never fear, I was told that for a pound of weight, I could get a LPVO, 1-4x or 1-6X or 1-8X. This would let me identify threats and long distance and yet work close up. I began to research this and quickly found that close up these didn't work as well as you would think. People talked about "getting lost in the scope" at long range. Quick transitions with targets of previously of unknown position looked incredibly hard. In other words looking for targets, two eyes open, was harder. Moving targets were essentially out altogether. But there was a solution: offset iron sights.

Was I going around in circles? A2 irons were not as fast as a red dot, prisms were great in their range of operation but not that great outside it, red dots do fail and are not that accurate outside their envelope, LPVO were great at long range and identifying the target but sucked close and for moving targets, but offset irons are just irons and I was back at square one.

About this time while researching LPVO, I came across Ultradyne Iron Sights. This is a new system. It is light but expensive, $330.00. This solved my problem. They were irons in my basement and close up, they were faster than A2 sights and much more accurate, they allowed me to shoot further than the prism, my first time out with them I hit a steel target at 375 yards. They were perhaps not quite as fast as a red dot but they were more accurate. No, they don't allow me to identify a threat like a LPVO. But let's look at this a moment. I am not going to be shooting at anyone at 400 yards UNLESS they shoot at me first. At 400 yards we are not talking self-defense. But if someone is shooting at me from 400 yards, at this point, I don't need to identify them, they are simply a threat/enemy and the Ultradyne sights can make them think twice about a second shot even if I do not hit them outright.

The Ultradyne sights are second best everywhere but that is a better average than any of these other systems----and they are light. For those of us not deploying to Afghanistan or in other specialized situations, a generalized sighting system may be an advantage.

Feedback Score
    2 (75%)
    I would ask what you're doing with this gun that you'd need secondary sighting options anyway? What are the chances & ramifications of your optic going down?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaykayyy
    And to the guys whining about spending more on training, and relying less on the hardware, you just sound like your [sic] trying to make yourself feel superior.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Is there an offset BUIS set that works with the rear sight placed in front of an ACOG? Due to the very limited eye relief of my ACOG I had to mount it all the way back.
    GG&G makes offset BUIS designed to be mounted forward of an optic.

https://www.gggaz.com/45-degree-iron-sights.html

No expirience with the sights and the only GG&G "gear" I have is a shotgun sling mount.

Andy

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast