Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Offset irons, offset red dot, or invest in new mount?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sry0fcr View Post
    I would ask what you're doing with this gun that you'd need secondary sighting options anyway? What are the chances & ramifications of your optic going down?
    Going 3x9 at CQB range made an offset optic necessary. Going with a better magnification scope (1x6), helped me get rid of it. Lived and learned.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Is there an offset BUIS set that works with the rear sight placed in front of an ACOG? Due to the very limited eye relief of my ACOG I had to mount it all the way back.
    I use my KAC offsets forward of the scope (with the larger rear aperture), because the MUR-1 Upper has that larger F/A, preventing mounting behind the optic.

Works fine out to 100 yards on a small steel torso target.

Feedback Score
    Offset sights only fill a very small nich. And none if your a door kicker. If they are flipped up and ready in case your primary optic goes down they going to get snagged on everything. If your primary does go down and your in a sustained firefight your stuck using your rifle canted. Whereas with regular BUIS you can remove the optic and still shoot your rifle normally.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Offset sights only fill a very small nich. And none if your a door kicker. If they are flipped up and ready in case your primary optic goes down they going to get snagged on everything. If your primary does go down and your in a sustained firefight your stuck using your rifle canted. Whereas with regular BUIS you can remove the optic and still shoot your rifle normally.
    Sure, but there are plenty of things that don't translate from .mil/.gov shooter to civie use, and vice versa. As a door kicker, you have 1-10+ buddies around you to help if your optic goes down. Same buddies can shoot while you get your shit together during a sustained firefight. Heck, some of the door kickers I work with don't even have BUIS on CCO / ACOG / LPV equipped rifles.

But John Q Public gun-owner will likely have a fleeting opportunity for a shot, be it in home defense, pest control, or hunting. He / She likely won't have someone else who can take the shot if they can't. The likelihood of a 'sustained fire-fight' is near zero, but being able to get the shot off very quickly or lose the opportunity is very real. Where I live it's more pest control, but if I get a handful of seconds to shoot the coyote / fox / pest that has been killing ducks / cats / dogs, some offset sights / RDS may allow be to still shoot if the main optic is fogged / obscured.

Last time I was out with my 2 offset equipped rifles, I paid particular attention to confirmed zero and their use. As they are designed to still be over the bore of the AR when rotated, they are easy to use.

Feedback Score
    3 gun competitors are doing quite well with offsets and optic transition, I don’t see that at all as a nonstarter. Practice with them out, or fixed position offset even better.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
    3 gun competitors are doing quite well with offsets and optic transition, I don’t see that at all as a nonstarter. Practice with them out, or fixed position offset even better.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    NRA Life Member, CRPA member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / FPC / CCRKBA / GOA / NAGR / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member - Support your defenders!
    Here is a 3 gun competitor who disagrees with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRQMtr7Dl8k

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    I have a set of Dueck Defense offset sights on mine, and they work pretty good. If I had to do it over, I'd save up for a T2 in an offset mount. Sometimes the iron sights are hard to pick up with my gun leaning over.

Feedback Score

Offset irons, offset red dot, or invest in new mount?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post

Ok. There is always someone who thinks opposite any single subject you can identify. I made it 20 seconds into that video, wow. Maybe nice guy but horrible on camera.
    https://youtu.be/X5iomKlf0QE

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
    Last edited by lordmorgul; 07-05-19 at 23:12.

Feedback Score
    Stop stirring the pot with click bait comments and links to videos that don't actually refute anything said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Honesty time.

In the year 2019, you’re able to equip a rifle with an offset MRDS and mount for at or around the same price as a set of decent irons. Either the manufacturers of traditional sights are ripping us off, or I’m missing something.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast