Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Reasons to upgrade NVGs? (binos, WP, etc)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I just got my first set of NVGs last Monday.

I jumped on the NGI/DTNVG set that TNVC introduced in July. The spec isn't out of the world but for my first set and being $3K less than their premier tube set I am happy. EBI is solid and there is only one blem that I can see an it's all the way on the outer perimeter. I really dig the ActInBlack housing. Shot about 100 rounds Sunday night and it was a lot of fun.

I considered duel PVS14s but it would have been the same price [if not a little more], heavier and less flexible.

I considered a single PVS14 and maybe buying a second down the road but I wanted the tubes to be at least similar in performance. I was worried about getting headaches if one tube is far different from another. Not sure if this is a real problem or me just overthinking it. Then there is the "buy once cry ones" mentality.

Honestly, I think a single PVS14 would work for my needs just as well, Im not LEO or MIL, just an Architect trying to have fun. I think that would apply to most people.

If I am ever in a situation where I need one eye without a tube in front of it, I can just rotate one of the tubes up and it automatically turns off.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have a L3 and ITT pinnacle PVS-14 gen3. Will always have the L3 zero blems. But for what it is there should be zero blems.

my new lady and I have only ever worn NVGs in Iraq and Afghanistan mainly and they were PVS14s. No training issue there but she is trying to steal my peq15. I always tell her buy your own Marine stop stealing the Army's stuff.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    I have a L3 and ITT pinnacle PVS-14 gen3. Will always have the L3 zero blems. But for what it is there should be zero blems.

my new lady and I have only ever worn NVGs in Iraq and Afghanistan mainly and they were PVS14s. No training issue there but she is trying to steal my peq15. I always tell her buy your own Marine stop stealing the Army's stuff.
    Gear adrift is a gift!

Feedback Score
    35 (100%)
    I sold everything NVG last year with plans to upgrade and actually got most of what I spent back which was great. I am now mentally and physically preparing myself to deal with the load of shit I am going to be in when the wife finds out how much all the new gear is going to cost. She's gotten really good at searching online for what I buy in order to call BS on what I tell her it cost, LOL...
    PAIN IS WEAKNESS LEAVING THE BODY

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MSteele View Post
    I sold everything NVG last year with plans to upgrade and actually got most of what I spent back which was great. I am now mentally and physically preparing myself to deal with the load of shit I am going to be in when the wife finds out how much all the new gear is going to cost. She's gotten really good at searching online for what I buy in order to call BS on what I tell her it cost, LOL...
    The key is to have a tote in the garage, separate business that takes little time for moderate returns, and a separate bank account that only flows to business expenses, gun stuff as business expenses if you can find a way to legitimize this, and a self-directed IRA to surprise her with in 15 years.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    It's been almost a year since I got into NV. I am still rocking a PVS14, and still happy. I do consider duals sometimes, but passive aiming is cake with my 14 (same as in daylight, really, just bring the gauge up and BOOM!), and it has worked just fine for hiking/staring at stars, etc. Maybe one of these days I will talk myself into RNVG or DTNVG, but I have yet to see how they would do better for me, and they certainly would be more of an investment.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Well, today was that day. I am now waiting on my duals to be delivered. I cannot help it, I have weak willpower and destined to always be poor.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Well, today was that day. I am now waiting on my duals to be delivered. I cannot help it, I have weak willpower and destined to always be poor.
    I'm curious what you think going from a PVS-14 to dual tubes. What housing and tubes did you end up going with?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    I'm curious what you think going from a PVS-14 to dual tubes. What housing and tubes did you end up going with?
    RNVGs, L3 filmless, my spec.
    Last edited by WS6; 11-04-21 at 03:40.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Well in light (pun intended) of current events now seems like a good time to bring this up again. I had two older ITT 6015's (PVS-14 type without manual gain, now sold) and two PVS-14's made around 2005-6. What I concluded from research was that bino high FOM WP filmless is the new hotness, but along with that comes high demand, low supply so long wait times. Also the feature set of some of the most popular bino's turned out to be lacking in what I wanted/required:

1. Adjustable Diopter
    2. Manual gain
    3. Articulating
    4. Individual pod shut off

Turns out finding bino's with those four features is surprisingly difficult, the L3/Harris PVS-31A and BNVD1531's do not have pod shut off, the DTNV and Katana have pod shut off but no manual gain. In fact the only two I am aware of are the Elbit PVS-31D/F5032 thin filmed and the BNVD's like those sold by JRH either Elbit thin filmed or L3 filmless. After going back and forth on the whole filmless/thin filmed thing I concluded after watching videos that with high FOM units the filmless might have a slight edge but IMO not enough to make a real difference. So since we all know the Marines never make wrong equipment choices, and I found them in stock, and I got a good price, and they come with a G24 a set of PVS-31D's should be arriving this week.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 03-06-22 at 07:04.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast