Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasons to upgrade NVGs? (binos, WP, etc)

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Thanks! I know zip about lanyards other than its intended function. Will 550 fit through the pvs lanyard loop?
    There's a lot of ways to tie down NODs. I've been to different training that all required different tiedowns for various equipment, but the simplest way is to route gutted 550 around the body of your -14, secure it to itself with a weight bearing knot, then make a separate loop with a weight bearing knot that you attach a small carabiner to. You can keep it secured within a pouch this way, then simply attach the carabiner to your helmet (either another loop of 550 on the shroud, a piece of nylon on a helmet cover, a helmet band, whatever).

It won't win cool points on Instagram, but the guys who knock tiedowns most likely never had to tell their Squad Leader that they lost their NODs. It's been 11 years and I'm still sore.

The helmet lanyards do nothing to secure your NODs in a pouch; where they will live the majority of the time.

I keep my PVS-14 secured to a carabiner within a small general purpose pouch and use a SAM splint as a protective insert.

As for helmet/etc;

1) The Norotos Dual Dovetail Adapter is fantastic.
    2) Go with the G24 if you can afford it. They keep a lower profile when stowed than Norotos arms, and this is from a guy that uses an AKA2 and wishes it was a G24.
    3) Team Wendy Exfil LTP; you'll love it.
    4) If your NODs are stowed, just turn them off. Yes; the DDA will maintain the auto-off function. It will not turn back on- it simply kills contact when stowed and you have to manually turn it to off and then back on again. So if you're gonna stow a PVS-14...just turn it off.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    most likely never had to tell their Squad Leader that they lost their NODs. It's been 11 years and I'm still sore
    “Go ahead and elevate your stupid effing feet”

hahahaha

Tie your shit down, guys.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    “Go ahead and elevate your stupid effing feet”

hahahaha

Tie your shit down, guys.
    Bro-

It was a religious experience. And yep- my NODs were found, but you can bet I never lost shit again.
    Last edited by GTF425; 08-24-20 at 12:39.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If you like reading test data, these are interesting

A Comparison of Monocular, Biocular, and Binocular Night Vision Goggles for Traversing Off-road Terrain on Foot
    ARMY RESEARCH LABORATORY
    https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/4ac...43332fdc1b.pdf

Night Vision Goggle Research and Training Issues for Ground Forces: A Literature Review
    United States Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences
    https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a347071.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Well she arrived! Carson lenses, Vyper-C body, L3 UF WP 1701 tube. Thoughts/ideas/how is this?

photocathode 2856k: 2203
    EBI: 0.1
    Luminescence gain: 64,204
    SNR: 34.1
    Center Res: 64
    Center Res (high light): 36
    Halo: 0.7

Zone 1: Clean, Zone 2, Clean, Zone 3 (One) blem, 0.003-0.006
    (X) Dark Spots </=0.003 are acceptable

oddly, there was only 1 blem on the L3 sheet, but I've found a couple, lol! Overall I'm very pleased as the only one I really notice is the one at around 8:30, and I'm assured it's okay and won't enlarge or anything bad/isn't a sign of air at the tube or anything funky.

Tonight was a very dark night. Cloud cover, no stars, and I live in the middle of nowhere (taken sometime after midnight with full cloud cover).

This thing soaks up light! It was EXTREMELY dark with no moon, no stars, no artificial light sources.

This was taken a bit earlier, around 10pm, when the clouds still had a bit more glow to them:

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Those specs seems solid. That EBI is killer, Halo is pretty good too, and the SNR paired with it really makes that a solid tube.

I'd be excited for sure.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    Those specs seems solid. That EBI is killer, Halo is pretty good too, and the SNR paired with it really makes that a solid tube.

I'd be excited for sure.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    I actually ended up trading it off. Exchanged it for a L3 warrior systems 22um tube 2376fom minimum spec MNVD. Reason was the mnvd owner wanted a vyper body for use with kve shoes on a bridge with thermal, and I wanted a pvs14 body for use with a norotos dda. It worked. Being as it's what it is, I dont know the specs, but its solid.

Feedback Score
    I don't need NVGs. I don't need NVGs. Then this thread happens.

#$@#.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Lots of good info in this thread. Thanks for sharing everyone. If only it was in a NODs sub-forum....
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Gotta say, being a johnny come lately with a WP PVS-14 and helmet setup...

If you are at all a shooter and not a gun accumulator with the potential need to shoot at night for pest control (hawgs, yotes, other undesirable things)...

DO IT.

DO IT NOW.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast