Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasons to upgrade NVGs? (binos, WP, etc)

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    Correction to above:

I'm going to ASSume you aren't setting charges under NODs, which would be a situation you would definitely need to manually focus them. This is where a low output headborne IR light and the Eclipse really shines, but if you have a properly set infinity focus ring it's not necessary to have anything other than IR illum.
    Should be able to tie in a prebuilt breaching charge without focusing.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Should be able to tie in a prebuilt breaching charge without focusing.
    I'm trying to play devils advocate and think of reasons it could be necessary to not focus to infinity. They're few and far between and easy enough to just refocus back out if the infinity focus ring is set properly.

This is very much your domain given the community you come from and I'm silently nodding in agreement with your explanation of NODs+white light TTPs above. I run ANVIS' slightly higher in my FOV so I can peak under them for every reason you mentioned above.

Also Euro:

You can also get one of these in size 09A and drill a 6mm hole in the center for a quick focus cap. Lets you continue to use a cheaper sacrificial lens and you can pop it right off if you decide it's not worth the hassle. I'm not sure if they will work over a magnetic compass or not if that's something you use.

https://www.amazon.com/Butler-Creek-...Q2C?th=1&psc=1
    Last edited by GTF425; 07-04-19 at 12:00.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    If I had 8 K to drop on NV I'd be looking at thermal.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTF425 View Post
    I'm trying to play devils advocate .....snip....I run ANVIS' slightly higher in my FOV so I can peak under them for every reason you mentioned above
    I can definitely appreciate the logic you presented. And this is exactly how Bino NODs should be set up to enable the transition to white light.

Quote Originally Posted by mack7.62 View Post
    If I had 8 K to drop on NV I'd be looking at thermal.
    Thermals come with their own drawbacks, depending on intended use. Such as window glass. But when they have the opportunities to show their advantages, they are awesome. I would only consider them as an individual in conjunction with 14s or 15s or whatever. Unless I’m just trying to whack some critters.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)

Thermals come with their own drawbacks, depending on intended use. Such as window glass. But when they have the opportunities to show their advantages, they are awesome. I would only consider them as an individual in conjunction with 14s or 15s or whatever. Unless I’m just trying to whack some critters.
    Also if there are fires all over the place. The heat throws everything off. Best possible situation is a thermal and on to a PVS14 so that you can remove it if need be.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I can definitely appreciate the logic you presented. And this is exactly how Bino NODs should be set up to enable the transition to white light.

Exactly. Overlay is what wizards use

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    There is so much knowledge in this thread.

Thank you guys. Keep it coming.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Reasons to upgrade NVGs? (binos, WP, etc)

Thermals eat batteries too. At least the MG ones most units are issued. Heard the same about PSQ 20s too, but I haven’t used those yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    There is so much knowledge in this thread.

Thank you guys. Keep it coming.
    Indeed. It's now a sticky.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Reasons to upgrade NVGs? (binos, WP, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Indeed. It's now a sticky.
    One of these days we’ll grow to necessitating a NV sub-section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 07-04-19 at 20:52.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast