Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Reasons to upgrade NVGs? (binos, WP, etc)

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    You could go the “poor man’s” route, and get another 14 and bridge mount.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Screw that noise. If you’re not going whole hog on a dedicated set of Binos, **** another 14; slap a FLIR Breach on that second eyeball with a flippy boi bridge and rotate/season-to-taste.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    You could go the “poor man’s” route, and get another 14 and bridge mount.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Screw that noise. If you’re not going whole hog on a dedicated set of Binos, **** another 14; slap a FLIR Breach on that second eyeball with a flippy boi bridge and rotate/season-to-taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Or just get a COTI.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Eurodriver inquired about bino’s. Another PVS14 and bridge mount is the least expensive route with the least amount of loss if it doesn’t fit his needs. I have 2xPVS14’s and a bridge mount, but wish I had a set of bino’s. If the experience is desired, my suggestion is valid.

I have reached the conclusion, for myself, that a PVS14 and thermal on a bridge mount could fit my use better. But, I’ll still have two 14’s.
    Last edited by TXBK; 07-05-19 at 07:07.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Advantage of a pair of 14s is the fact that you have two. Basically equal the performance of binos and have the ability to split for another user if needed, mount one on a weapon or still have NV if a unit goes down. I believe that 85-90% of the work can be done with 14s and would have to think hard about the other 10%. Honestly I not sure that WP or binos give you anymore depth vs green. Its a individual eye thing honestly. The BIG plus to dual system is wearing NV for long hours and pistol shooting with a red dot. Also the ability to shoot your rifle passive on your RDS NV settings if your equipped.

The previous comment about building a NV gun I believe is just. There are things you will want like a higher RDS mount.

I ran bridged 14s for a long time and the only negative is weight and honestly if set up correctly with a really good bridge and counter weight its very manageable. I can do everything under NV that I can do in the daylight and that should be your training goal. The only time I change my focus from infinity is if I know I am going into house type structure where the rooms are to be short in depth as in 20 feet or less. Everything under NV has to become slower and much more purposeful. Remember NV brings stealth and stealth brings security.

Your comment about your eye under your 14 makes me think you have your gain adjusted too high. Try adjusting it down and that will help as well as give you much more depth and contrast with the shadows or dark areas. Having the gain turned all the way up doesn't help you see in the dark better. It actually causes more eye fatigue and makes it harder to look around or beyond your 14. If you can try pushing your unit out away from your eye as well, at least an inch. Many times guys get sucked into the tube and get stuck in it. Focus front, back and sharpen finally in the front one last time.

I am deep in the NV game. I dont know what you have in the way of your IR laser/illuminator but you might want to consider that before binos. The MAWL is game changing and should be on your list if not already on your rifle. IR illumination is very important if you want to take full advantage of your NV especially at distance for positive ID or actually want to see what your laser is pointed at.

The thought of having NV as an BIG edge if SHTF is somewhat slimming. Lots of guys as a result of the GWOT have the training and night hunting is the fastest growing segment in the hunting industry. Be able and equipped to work passive as well.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by crossgun View Post
    Advantage of a pair of 14s is the fact that you have two. Basically equal the performance of binos and have the ability to split for another user if needed, mount one on a weapon or still have NV if a unit goes down. I believe that 85-90% of the work can be done with 14s and would have to think hard about the other 10%. Honestly I not sure that WP or binos give you anymore depth vs green. Its a individual eye thing honestly. The BIG plus to dual system is wearing NV for long hours and pistol shooting with a red dot. Also the ability to shoot your rifle passive on your RDS NV settings if your equipped.

The previous comment about building a NV gun I believe is just. There are things you will want like a higher RDS mount.

I ran bridged 14s for a long time and the only negative is weight and honestly if set up correctly with a really good bridge and counter weight its very manageable. I can do everything under NV that I can do in the daylight and that should be your training goal. The only time I change my focus from infinity is if I know I am going into house type structure where the rooms are to be short in depth as in 20 feet or less. Everything under NV has to become slower and much more purposeful. Remember NV brings stealth and stealth brings security.

Your comment about your eye under your 14 makes me think you have your gain adjusted too high. Try adjusting it down and that will help as well as give you much more depth and contrast with the shadows or dark areas. Having the gain turned all the way up doesn't help you see in the dark better. It actually causes more eye fatigue and makes it harder to look around or beyond your 14. If you can try pushing your unit out away from your eye as well, at least an inch. Many times guys get sucked into the tube and get stuck in it. Focus front, back and sharpen finally in the front one last time.

I am deep in the NV game. I dont know what you have in the way of your IR laser/illuminator but you might want to consider that before binos. The MAWL is game changing and should be on your list if not already on your rifle. IR illumination is very important if you want to take full advantage of your NV especially at distance for positive ID or actually want to see what your laser is pointed at.

The thought of having NV as an BIG edge if SHTF is somewhat slimming. Lots of guys as a result of the GWOT have the training and night hunting is the fastest growing segment in the hunting industry. Be able and equipped to work passive as well.
    Good post. I have two full power PEQs on my rifles and a G19 with both an RMR and an x400V. The G19 is sneaky. Talk about passive and active use. It takes about 0.5 seconds to switch. In fact, 99% of my shooting is done passive with that but the laser makes it so easy to shoot out of vehicles or in unconventional positions. It’s almost cheating. I have a twist base for my rifles with T2s and can run passive on them by putting my 14 behind them, I’ve been doing that since TNVC released their mount years ago but the problem then is that I cannot see unless my rifle is pointed at something. You certainly can’t walk like that. A dual 14 helmet mount would be great for that.

I’ve found POI shifts when using a 14 on my left eye and a day optic on my right. Is that just me or what? I understand the concept but it doesn’t seem very precise for me.

Still, as you said, it’s interesting how much NV is picking up. A decade ago no one had night vision. No one. Now it’s almost “common” among guys. In a SHTF scenario I used to imagine it being a force multiplier. Now it seems more likely just a force equalizer.

I know the Mawl represents a true paradigm shift but I’ve already got the PEQs and the training to go with them. That’s money I’d rather dump on ammo.

ETA: I do always max out the gain on NV. I’ll play with it and see what that does.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 07-05-19 at 08:20.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    In a SHTF scenario I used to imagine it being a force multiplier. Now it seems more likely just a force equalizer.
    I don’t know about all that. I’d be pretty surprised if more than 300 guys in the country have good NODs (14 or better), a laser, and know how to use both well. And the vast majority of them probably roll in the same circles. There may be tons of hunters and the like with NVG capability, but we all know that doesn’t necessarily mean shit. Even with those guys factored in, I’d be surprised if 5% of the population has NODs.

Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I don’t know about all that. I’d be pretty surprised if more than 300 guys in the country have good NODs (14 or better), a laser, and know how to use both well. And the vast majority of them probably roll in the same circles. There may be tons of hunters and the like with NVG capability, but we all know that doesn’t necessarily mean shit. Even with those guys factored in, I’d be surprised if 5% of the population has NODs.

Then you would be VERY surprised. I did a 2 gun match a few yesrs ago that was NVG only. There were at least 50 competing and all of the oters there and we all had quality products. So at least 100 total with NV..... give or take.

I also know many people that have them. I would bet there are at least 300 people in my county that have quality NVG. My local FFL also sells them and the PVS 14 and 7B are their top seller. But then again this is Texas.

You are also forgetting about all of the other NV devices out there that work in some limited way. I can think of several lower quality ones that work just fine that i have....... the NV capability of the Ring on my doorbel, the backup camera on my car and truck and even the camera on my phone has one.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    This. My dapartment Head isn’t even into tactical stuff, and just bought a PVS-14 for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Then you would be VERY surprised. I did a 2 gun match a few yesrs ago that was NVG only. There were at least 50 competing and all of the oters there and we all had quality products. So at least 100 total with NV..... give or take.

I also know many people that have them. I would bet there are at least 300 people in my county that have quality NVG. My local FFL also sells them and the PVS 14 and 7B are their top seller. But then again this is Texas.

You are also forgetting about all of the other NV devices out there that work in some limited way. I can think of several lower quality ones that work just fine that i have....... the NV capability of the Ring on my doorbel, the backup camera on my car and truck and even the camera on my phone has one.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast