Thread: Another massive data breach...

Feedback Score

Another massive data breach...

This seems to be almost a routine occurrence anymore. Anything on electronic media can be breached, it seems, either from internal or external agents. I remember the old days when everything was on paper files in filing cabinets. Impossible to access unless you physically broke into the building or stole the files.

"Capital One said Monday personal information, including Social Security and bank account numbers, of more than 100 million individuals was compromised in a massive data theft that led to the arrest of a Seattle woman.

Paige A. Thompson is accused of stealing data from Capital One credit card applications in what is one of the top 10 largest data breaches ever, according to USA TODAY research.

The FBI arrested Thompson Monday for the theft, which occurred between March 12 and July 17, court records show. Among the data allegedly collected from a company cloud-based server were Social Security and bank account numbers"

https://news.yahoo.com/massive-data-...c=bell-brknews
    Last edited by Slater; 07-29-19 at 20:25.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Companies are worried about the bottom line and IT is considered a liability on the balance sheet. They do everything they can to reduce this cost in interest of profit margin at the expense of the customer's privacy. Bottom line: they don't actually care about you. Just your money. They will try to make it seem like they care about you as an individual but they don't.

Simple solution: Don't get loans, credit cards or accounts that "need" to house your data somewhere. This is a good tip for many reasons actually but it helps here too. Then, in conjunction with this step, put a lock on your three credit bureaus which will require a phone call and verification of you in order to even attempt to get a credit account.

If you take that advice you see a headline that says "Massive data break of XYZ company..." and you think to yourself "self, you've never had any dealings with XYZ company so feel free to go on with your life never thinking of this headline again" which is a good feeling.
    I'm not fat, I'm tactically padded.

Tactical Commander Fast Action Response Team (F.A.R.T.)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Simple solution: Don't get loans, credit cards or accounts that "need" to house your data somewhere. This is a good tip for many reasons actually but it helps here too. Then, in conjunction with this step, put a lock on your three credit bureaus which will require a phone call and verification of you in order to even attempt to get a credit account.
    Not saying this isn’t sound advice, but do you have a list of banks or creditors that don’t “need” to house your data somewhere? Cus I would wager every place houses your data somewhere. Who knows for how long.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    Not saying this isn’t sound advice, but do you have a list of banks or creditors that don’t “need” to house your data somewhere? Cus I would wager every place houses your data somewhere. Who knows for how long.
    Again, limiting loans you take out or situations where you give your information to creditors also limits your exposure to fraud. I didn't say it was a 100% perfect solution but Person A who has never (or very few times) given his information to lending institutions has a significantly lower risk of having said information breached than Person B who has tons of accounts and signs up for every credit card promo under the sun with any old lending institution & takes out loans left and right. Somewhere between those is where you personally need to decide you would like to be and what tolerance to fraud you are willing to accept for the types of things you think you need. Nobody can answer that but you but you can probably tell what side of that scale I like to remain.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Unless you pay in cash, grass, gold, or ass.....

Your data is out there.

Sleep tight!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm trending towards as much cash transactions as I can practically handle. I put a freeze on my credit with the major agencies too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Again, limiting loans you take out or situations where you give your information to creditors also limits your exposure to fraud. I didn't say it was a 100% perfect solution but Person A who has never (or very few times) given his information to lending institutions has a significantly lower risk of having said information breached than Person B who has tons of accounts and signs up for every credit card promo under the sun with any old lending institution & takes out loans left and right. Somewhere between those is where you personally need to decide you would like to be and what tolerance to fraud you are willing to accept for the types of things you think you need. Nobody can answer that but you but you can probably tell what side of that scale I like to remain.
    Sadly that cat's already out of the bag for me. The federal government has lost or compromised my SPII, THREE times.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    Sadly that cat's already out of the bag for me. The federal government has lost or compromised my SPII, THREE times.
    Yeah, that super sucks. Tough to not give them any business try as I might.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Looks like their suspect is a mentally disturbed transgender woman. Allegedly she wanted to distribute the information, admit she doxed Capital One and then check herself into a mental institution where: "I can just f------ stay somewhere and be in peace indefinitely.”.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/financia...-alias-erratic

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/30/paig...ples-data.html
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by glocktogo View Post
    I can relate... I shred everything that has my name or address on it. I'm trying to make it hard on someone to steal my identity but uncle sam doesn't seem to want to help me...