G&R Tactical
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41

Thread: Duty Ammunition, If Given A Choice.....

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,356
    Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Running “pistol” ammo in a carbine/PCC will increase velocity depending on barrel length.
    I’ve experienced a 200 to 250 gain in a 10.5” barrel.
    This will affect bullet performance; expansion/penetration.
    The bullets; HST, GD, whatever are designed to be optimum at X velocity.

    Something to consider.

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,301
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Running “pistol” ammo in a carbine/PCC will increase velocity depending on barrel length.
    I’ve experienced a 200 to 250 gain in a 10.5” barrel.
    This will affect bullet performance; expansion/penetration.
    The bullets; HST, GD, whatever are designed to be optimum at X velocity.

    Something to consider.
    Exactly, pushing a bullet past its intended velocity can result in underpenetration as the bullet expands too quickly aka the drag parachute effect

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,084
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    Exactly, pushing a bullet past its intended velocity can result in underpenetration as the bullet expands too quickly aka the drag parachute effect
    "can" being the important word.

    Without testing it, there is no way of knowing for sure.

    And beyond 10", a 9MM round velocity gains drop off considerably (depending on the loading, of course).
    - Rhino

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    36
    Feedback Score
    0
    HST 147 is what I carry. I always prefer heavy for caliber. I also stick with Federal brands.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    40
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    "can" being the important word.

    Without testing it, there is no way of knowing for sure.

    And beyond 10", a 9MM round velocity gains drop off considerably (depending on the loading, of course).
    Watch this HST Bullet from a 16 inch barrel. Not only is it still picking up speed past 10 inches of barrel, it picked up so much that the bullet fragmented and under penetrated.


  6. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,356
    Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    Yep, that's my point.^^

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    40
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Yep, that's my point.^^
    I wonder how it would do with a bonded hollow point like a Gold Dot or Critical duty? I wish these testers would do more testing with various loads. There’s a big market for that information. Wish I had the time and resources.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,356
    Feedback Score
    42 (100%)
    No way of knowing without testing.
    But if we’re in bonded “bullet exceeding design envelope velocity” guesstimate mode, mine is- GD will sacrifice penetration for earlier/greater expansion.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    295
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Well we just sent probably half a pallet back to winchester. 180 gr .40 ranger ammo. One guy had a squib at the range and we have found a few primers in upside down. Dept contacted winchester about this and apparently the FBI gets better quality control than others. They told us to send back the ammo and they would replace it with an equal batch of FBI lot ammo. We have run the gammit of ammo since I have been there. Started with federal hydrashocks, some remington golden saber, winchester ranger, back to golden saber till winchester gets back to us. I think the driving factor is price.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    42
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think FBI switched to critical duty, plus Im guessing they're going exclusively to 9mm.

    I'm still rocking RA9T. I just can't find it in stock anywhere.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •