Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Duty Ammunition, If Given A Choice.....

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Federal, Speer, Win Ranger, Hornady.....they’re the only 4 manufacturers that I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    If it was high end stuff, not just some range ammo built with HP bullets. In all Reality, I would guess you shoot anybody 2 or 3 times in the chest and its gunna hurt. But no need to do that, increase your odds with good shit.

PB

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Not a fan of +p anything as I can usually get faster splits and be more accurate with standard velocity rounds.

Federal 147 HST has been very consistent between multiple lots for me for years. Until there is something significantly better, it's the standard for me.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Federal HST 147 Grain

Hornady Critical Duty 135 Grain +P

Speer Gold Dot 124 Grain +P

Federal HST 124 Grain

You’ll be around vehicles all day, barriers which are typical to being on the road performing police duties etc...

Which do you choose?
    If those are the only options, then 147 HST. Though it’s not bonded, it tends to act like it. That said, if your primary concern is barriers, you can’t beat Win Ranger bonded or even Federal’s 135+p bonded.

Quote Originally Posted by davidjinks View Post
    Would any of you have an issue carrying a standard pressure 124 grain load for the same duty role?
    Depends on the size of the gun. Glock 17, no issue. Anything smaller, even a 19, and it wouldn’t be my first choice, but that’s just the opinion I’ve formed after reading a lot of ballistics tests. Heavier tends to do better against barriers, if the bullet design is otherwise good (HST). The only fairly reliable performers across handgun barrel lengths that I’ve noticed in 9mm is 147 or the 135 Federal. Barrel length seems to have a greater effect on the lighter rounds.

Feedback Score
    For duty we are issued the Critical Duty. I like the barrier tests and the penetration for duty work. When I retire in the not so far future I will probably carry the HST.

Reason being I will take the less penetration and higher expansion as barriers should be less of an issue when out of police work .

Feedback Score
    I have to laugh.....I remember back in the 90's when 147gr 9mm JHP's were at the bottom of the list as far as terminal ballistics were concerned. Fast-forward 20 years and 147gr top-end ammo is the shiznit. Obviously advancing bullet technology has made this possible, but I can recall when 147gr loads were like holding a cross up to a vampire!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I have to laugh.....I remember back in the 90's when 147gr 9mm JHP's were at the bottom of the list as far as terminal ballistics were concerned. Fast-forward 20 years and 147gr top-end ammo is the shiznit. Obviously advancing bullet technology has made this possible, but I can recall when 147gr loads were like holding a cross up to a vampire!
    As I recall, the comparison was to a 158 gr., RN lead .38 Special.
    Zounds! May as well throw a rock..............

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    That was when expansion was the name of the game and no one cared about penetration, or thought 147 would over penetrate. The Miami shootout pretty much killed 115gr duty loads. Now most top shelf stuff expands somewhat and everyone is chasing the “right” amount of penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    As I recall, the comparison was to a 158 gr., RN lead .38 Special.
    Zounds! May as well throw a rock..............
    I’d be willing to wager more people have been put in the ground by police armed with 158gr LRN than any other load/caliber.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sundance435 View Post
    That was when expansion was the name of the game and no one cared about penetration, or thought 147 would over penetrate. The Miami shootout pretty much killed 115gr duty loads. Now most top shelf stuff expands somewhat and everyone is chasing the “right” amount of penetration.

I’d be willing to wager more people have been put in the ground by police armed with 158gr LRN than any other load/caliber.
    ^^No doubt true.
    However the issue was not lethality, but “immediate cessation of hostilities”.

The 158 LRN was/is a piss poor performer unless with a CNS hit.

Feedback Score
    Bought the 147 HST for the 9mm carbine. Shot it in the pistol to see what it would do. It was one of the three most accurate load that pistol shoots. It is now the primary load for that pistol.
    Last edited by JDH1; 08-15-19 at 21:06.

Feedback Score
    147 Grain HST tends to expand more and penetrate less. So it might not be the best choice in 147. The opposite is true of the 147 G2 Gold Dot. I know it's not on your list though. 124 gold dots would be my choice if I couldn't get the 147s.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast