Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One of the last few direct action units in AFG

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

One of the last few direct action units in AFG

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    I have mixed feelings about that. It mentioned that one of the EOD techs killed while attached to 10th Group went to SFAUC. Aside from reps conducted after that school, I’m not sure what else could realistically be done with that. Also, the mechanic that was killed in Niger was assigned to 3 SFG so it was no surprise that he was working with them. It is hard to say what opportunities he has to train at the BN level, but my impression after seeing documents about that ambush was that he actually put up a hell of a fight.

I don’t know how well equipped EOD units are, but I was under the impression that they’re better off than most big army units. I could see radios being an issue and if the EOD guys have Peq 2s and PVS-7s, those definitely would be as well, but I highly doubt that’s the case. Ultimately, I don’t know what can be done about the equipment. Each SF BN can’t just have a ton of extra shit to give their uplift unit whenever they deploy. The liaison and training between them should be better though, but even then, I think it’s rare that the uplift units are stationed in the same part of the country before deploying, much less same post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 07-18-19 at 05:34.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Damn.

18 years in service and a SGM? Hell yeah! While that rank/time-in-service combo is not unheard of, I have no doubt he was a hard-charger. No 18X either; he was a regular 3rd ID grunt for OIF. Damn shame.
    At age 40, he must have been one tough "hard-charger". I was two months short of my 40th birthday when I retired in 1999. At some point, you've got to take that experience and use it for training the young studs, and let them do the heavy lifting. It is a "Damn shame".
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    I have mixed feelings about that. It mentioned that one of the EOD techs killed while attached to 10th Group went to SFAUC. Aside from reps conducted after that school, I’m not sure what else could realistically be done with that. Also, the mechanic that was killed in Niger was assigned to 3 SFG so it was no surprise that he was working with them. It is hard to say what opportunities he has to train at the BN level, but my impression after seeing documents about that ambush was that he actually put up a hell of a fight.

I don’t know how well equipped EOD units are, but I was under the impression that they’re better off than most big army units. I could see radios being an issue and if the EOD guys have Peq 2s and PVS-7s, those definitely would be as well, but I highly doubt that’s the case. Ultimately, I don’t know what can be done about the equipment. Each SF BN can’t just have a ton of extra shit to give their uplift unit whenever they deploy. The liaison and training between them should be better though, but even then, I think it’s rare that the uplift units are stationed in the same part of the country before deploying, much less same post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I saw elsewhere that Navy EOD is part of NSW while Army EOD is regular Army. Making EOD (or part of it) fall under USASOC could alleviate some of the training gaps and other issues so deployed SF has more of an organic EOD element.

Most of the uplift and attached units/personnel don’t find out they’re being attached until they’re in country. No chance to train together pre deployment or fix some of the equipment disparities.

I think the mechanic in Niger was part of the B team.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12