Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New carry revolver. Advice and opinions

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

New carry revolver. Advice and opinions

I’ve finally come to the conclusion it’s now or never for a new carry wheel gun. I’ve decided on primarily .357 and it’s boiled down to the Ruger gp100 WC or S&W model 19 carry comp. From what I’ve been able to research both are solid tools that will perform above and beyond. Anyone who has either can you please let me know how you feel carrying during the day. Size, weight, comfort. And and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Feedback Score
    I have a GP100 WC and a passel of S&W 19s, though not a Carry Comp.

LOVE Ruger, but the Smith is noticeably smaller and lighter and therefore easier to carry. So much so that I've seriously considered picking up a Carry Comp for the wheel-gun sort of days.

PS - the Smith K-frame, lock or no, is one of the best weapons crafted by the hands of man. Just is. It transcends "classic."

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Take a good look at a S&W 640 Pro
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’m leaning toward the comp19 at the moment due to the size comparisons I’ve been able to find. Couldn’t really get a good side by side of a 3” k frame next to the 3” gp100 I’m sure if I keep looking I’ll find one. But I’m my search for those comparisons I managed to see that colt is bringing back their king cobra in 3” also. Ah decisions decisions. What are your views/opinions on this returning favorite?

Feedback Score
    I bought the 3” GP100 in 10mm, once upon a time I was issued a 2 3/4” 66. If you get a chance to compare them GP100 is closer in size and weight to S&W’s L frame sized gun. The S&W 19/66 is a great carry gun that won’t pull your pants off. It won’t handle as much magnum ammo as the GP or L frame but who shoots cases of .357 magnum?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Think hard about a M&P9 (or a HK VP9, G19, etc).

Six rounds and no reasonable chance of a reload in a close quarters situation, vs. 18 in the gun and 17 more in two seconds. It's your life we're considering.

Feedback Score
    I like Smiths for carry, Ruger for hunting. Just my personal pref.

NOTHING wrong with that Mod 19 CC. It would suit you well. As Greg says, I'd also look at the 640 Pro, and for close to the same size and weight of that Mod 19... I'd look at the 7-shot S&W 686 Plus.

Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    Six rounds and no reasonable chance of a reload in a close quarters situation, vs. 18 in the gun and 17 more in two seconds. It's your life we're considering.
    I don't think the OP is meaning for his ONLY carry option. But... if your on target with the first six, odds are that you won't need to reload. I carried a wheel gun on duty back in the day when it was normal. There are a lot of bad guys in the ground because of wheel guns. Most of them from measley .38 Spc..

<--- This coming from a guy that has a 5-shot j-frame in the pocket as my ONLY on person EDC 50% of the time. I try to avoid areas where I feel the need for 12-17 rounds. Short of driving into the city or interstate trips, I just have the j-frame most of the time.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Det-Sog View Post
    I like Smiths for carry, Ruger for hunting. Just my personal pref.

NOTHING wrong with that Mod 19 CC. It would suit you well. As Greg says, I'd also look at the 640 Pro, and for close to the same size and weight of that Mod 19... I'd look at the 7-shot S&W 686 Plus.

I don't think the OP is meaning for his ONLY carry option. But... if your on target with the first six, odds are that you won't need to reload. I carried a wheel gun on duty back in the day when it was normal. There are a lot of bad guys in the ground because of wheel guns. Most of them from measley .38 Spc..

<--- This coming from a guy that has a 5-shot j-frame in the pocket as my ONLY on person EDC 50% of the time. I try to avoid areas where I feel the need for 12-17 rounds. Short of driving into the city or interstate trips, I just have the j-frame most of the time.
    I mostly agree with Det-Sog, most of the time, about most things. The man has his feet on the ground, and his head out of his . . . alimentary canal. Most definitely.

But as a person who can't possibly avoid such areas (Big City, TX) I have come around to the more-is-better school of ammo. I carried a compact 1911 for ages. No more. I took a good look at urban situations, and you'd be amazed at how quick you can get to slide lock and still need more to save your hide.

And study shootings: you could make solid hits with every slug out of a J-frame and the bad guy(s) won't even blink: they will go on trying to do you in until they collapse due to exsanguination. I made the transition to double-stack plastic.

And forget that aspect of shooting that is ignored by law enforcement and concealed citizens alike: suppression fire. Shooting at the baddies to keep their heads down while you re-position or run for the next zip code. Not enough ammo. You're either out by then, or you daren't waste one of your precious five slugs on such. Not good to foreclose a very important but underappreciated tactical option.

And this business of reloading a revolver with speed strips or a speed loader? Nope! Hard enough to do at the range. Not going to happen when multiple armed thugz are shooting at you, or pummeling your person, or trying to run you off the road, or holding an ice-pick to the neck of your wife/girlfriend, or doing other nasty things, at close quarters. Whatever's in that J-frame is what you're betting your life on; there is no succour.

Get real on the mean streets. Carry plenty of ammo.
    Last edited by Uni-Vibe; 05-07-19 at 20:43.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    I mostly agree with Det-Sog, most of the time, about most things. The man has his feet on the ground, and his head out of his . . . alimentary canal. Most definitely.

…..And study shootings: you could make solid hits with every slug out of a J-frame and the bad guy(s) won't even blink: they will go on trying to do you in until they collapse due to exsanguination. I made the transition to double-stack plastic.

And forget that aspect of shooting that is ignored by law enforcement and concealed citizens alike: suppression fire. Shooting at the baddies to keep their heads down while you re-position or run for the next zip code. Not enough ammo. You're either out by then, or you daren't waste one of your precious five slugs on such. Not good to foreclose a very important but underappreciated tactical option.

And this business of reloading a revolver with speed strips or a speed loader? Nope! Hard enough to do at the range. Not going to happen when multiple armed thugz are shooting at you, or pummeling your person, or trying to run you off the road, or holding an ice-pick to the neck of your wife/girlfriend, or doing other nasty things, at close quarters. Whatever's in that J-frame is what you're betting your life on; there is no succour.

Get real on the mean streets. Carry plenty of ammo.
    A person has to be very careful about suppressive fire in an area, in CONUS, where there are friendlies about. I can't think of any place in CONUS that is classified as a free fire zone, so round accountability is important. If suppressive fire in a populated urban area is something that was taught to you by a respected instructor in recent past, I would like their name so I can attend one of their courses.

I often travel on business to inner city areas, in Chicago and St. Louis, armed with a J Frame and two speed strips. For a person who trains hard and often, a revolver is a viable self defense firearm. There may be better options, but a revolver can get the job done.

If a person is relying solely on a firearm for self defense, I believe they are committing a critical error.
    Last edited by T2C; 05-07-19 at 21:13.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Having had two Sp-101's, two Gp-100's, a S&W 442, the eight-shot S&W, and a few other Rugers and S&W revolvers, I'll tell you my favorite.

The Ruger LCR. I have three of them currently, no other revolvers. Two are .357's and one is a .327. I prefer the .327.

One of the .357's is a bit worn. (end shake) I'm not going to fire this one much anymore and no .357's. IIRC it only took about 1500 rds (I forget exactly) about 1/3 each of standard .38, +P, and .357. So I can't say they'll take a pounding like an SP-101 or larger, heavier gun. That's not a big deal because my hands have grown tired of .357, too.

But the triggers are great, they are 19 oz loaded (The .357 model) and very accurate.

I can't bring myself to carry just a revolver without a second gun. Carry a strip or two of ammo but you most likely won't be able to use it until the danger is passed.
    Last edited by Ron3; 05-07-19 at 22:59.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast