Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whose tried the 460 Rowland kits?

Feedback Score

Whose tried the 460 Rowland kits?

What's your experience been like? What kind of 1911 did you convert to 460 Rowland.

Is this boutique round worth it? On paper it looks, fun. I'm wanting a hand cannon, and since I went from daily carrying .45acp pistols (G30s and full size 1911) to a Glock 45 (9x19) for my daily. I'm strongly considering the .460 Rowland for the 1911 since I haven't been shooting it much.

It's a Springfield Armory Range Officer.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by OldArmy01; 07-05-19 at 18:17.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My Buddy has one and he likes it. He built from a Sig 1911 I think. If I wanted a hand cannon I would grab a Monster S&W in 44 or 460 or 500. 460 is the most versatile.

I dont think the round is worth the effort. Kinda cool, but just for punching paper.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    So you would recommend a S&W .460 Magnum? I have been looking for an excuse to buy a ridiculously long barreled revolver.... but there's a night and day initial price difference between a what $350 kit and a $1500 revolver... I know I didn't bring up budget, but that's substantially different price tags. I'm not sure I can justify the expense of the .460 S&W mag right now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by OldArmy01; 07-07-19 at 19:26.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Downside to .460 Rowland is COAL (Cartridge Overall Length) dictated by the 1911 magazine, as well as having to use bullets with relatively low Sectional Density.
    A .45 cal handgun is a penetration monster with 300+ gr cast lead bullets.

I’d look to a S&W or Ruger revolver.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    A .45 cal handgun is a penetration monster with 300+ gr cast lead bullets.
    Not to create a thread drift, but could you expound on this statement? I love 1911's, and with a limited budget I'm torn between carrying my .45 ACP 1911, or my G43 when out in the hinterlands. The .460 Rowland has piqued my curiosity as an alternative to .45 ACP.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Here’s John Linebaughs article that explains better than I could.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...eBaTDqgIc41XNz

He built a Ruger for Ross Seifried that Ross took a Cape Buff with at close range.

My experience with +P .45 Colt has been limited to hogs and deer.
    I have recovered 310 gr cast bullets that have shot through 4’ of heavily muscled hog.

If you are looking for maximum horsepower in a traditional sized handgun (this excludes the big S&W X frames), in a traditional/standard cartridge- the .44 mag or .45 Colt +P with heavy, cast bullets are at the top of the heap.

Feedback Score

He built a Ruger for Ross Seifried that Ross took a Cape Buff with at close range.

I have recovered 310 gr cast bullets that have shot through 4’ of heavily muscled hog.

If you are looking for maximum horsepower in a traditional sized handgun (this excludes the big S&W X frames), in a traditional/standard cartridge- the .44 mag or .45 Colt +P with heavy, cast bullets are at the top of the heap.
    4 feet!?

Also I'm not sure it's fair to stack a semi-automatic cartridge against a revolver cartridge.
    Last edited by OldArmy01; 07-16-19 at 05:00.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    That's my point.
    If you're looking for ultimate .45 caliber performance in a "conventional" sized platform, a 1911 length (1.270"+-) cartridge doesn't have the case capacity, nor ability to send a heavyweight bullet to rank with even the "standard" magnum revolver rounds of .4X caliber.

And yes, 4'.

Feedback Score
    This is why hot 10mm loads are the best "I" can do through a conventional 1911 or a Glock. As much as I'd like to play with a Desert Eagle .44 Mag or .50 AE... It's not practical for the same reason I'll never own a X-frame handgun. I can get an AR pistol for about the same weight that will do more.

Buffalo Bore and Underwood both make hot 10mm loads in hard cast that have pretty good penetration, but NO, they will not match a .44 mag or a .45 colt. They will stil do what "I" need them to do. I live in the lower 48, and a hot 10mm will drop anything that I will run in to in the woods. Sadly, my older arthritic onset wrist will no longer take .44 mag, so I had to get rid of my beloved S&W 629. I can still handle full house 10mm (for now).

I'm just realizing that if "I" want rifle type stopping power in the woods, it's time for a 6.8 SPC AR pistol. gaigin, I'm envious.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

I regularly shoot a 454 Casull Ruger Super Blackhawk with mostly 45 Colt ammunition. The 45 Colt ammo choices go from mild cowboy ammo to +P choices that will rattle your teeth. I love the round and hunt with mine regularly. The main reason I got it in 454 Casull was just in case I wanted to step it up even further. I've shot 454 Casull ammo and it's not much fun after 8 or 10 rounds. Over all the 45 Colt is a very versatile round!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast