Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sights options for M&P 2.0 compact and shield

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    Sorry you had to learn that the hard way, but thanks for posting the info. A good tip for me, as I have 20/15 at distance but the same issue within 24." I rechecked the rear sight notch width on the HD XR for the M&P, they say 0.169" which is really wide, front post at 0.122", and I couldn't find what the lamp width is. But bottom line, that's a big difference between the front and rear widths, plus with the bright lamp, it should help folks with presbyopia. The Wilson set has a better front-rear width differential than the Trijicon FO, but not as good as the HD XR. So it's down to the Wilsons, the HD XR, and now I'm gonna reconsider the 10-8--because with those you can choose a wider rear site notch at 0.156" to pair with an average or narrow front post for the FO.
    Well, Today I ordered HD/XR Orange for the G21. While ordering I found a set of Trijicon HD/XR for 17, 19, 34, 45 MOS models. Both on the way.

Looked at Dawson and 10-8 before final decision. Tried finding a rear sight to work with the Trijicon FO front at .200 tall. Bud's again and Amazon are supplying the sights.

Anyone want a try with the Trij FO sight for G20/21?
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ^After research and this thread, I decided same and order a set of of the HD/XR for my M&P Compact, since I have a sight pusher for those and can install easily myself. I'll see what I get for accuracy and any POA/POI issues at various distances at the range, and also test in different lighting conditions at home. If I like these, I'll add them on my 2nd Compact and on the new Shield. Have seen a few scattered reports of POA vs POI issues especially up close, but this does not seem to be a majority or consensus view, so I'll try the XR's.

Still not 100% on the trade-offs between tritium and FO front sight. I've gone to FO front on all my 1911's and love those, but they are no longer my CCW's. I've done limited low light testing at home with a flashlight and in different lighting conditions, and I see the FO's fine in all cases, even when using the light which washes out the FO sight color but you still get the outline--just as with a tritium or any other front sight when using a light.

What swung me to try the HD/XR:
    * Some research on the trade-offs of a front FO sight, versus a combined Tritium + Neon outlight front like the HD/XR. See this guy's testing/pics as an example.
    * Some discussion about the same trade-offs between front FO vs Tritium + Neon front, for example this thread.
    * What I think tentatively (but will wait to add the HD/XR to my other pistols until I see how this set does):
    - A front sight that includes tritium is not essential for a CCW. There are other things that can work, like a front FO, or even brass, even a white dot sight. IMHO, the 2 leading options are a front FO or a front tritium + neon outline. There are enough experienced shooters who work in low-light conditions who have demonstrated that this is the case.
    - However....from what I can see, thought it's not essential it DOES look like a front sight that includes tritium, AND some kind of daytime visibility enhancer like a neon outline, gives improved visibility in some conditions vs a plain FO. If you have a good tritium + neon outline front, it should be good-to-go in all the same conditions that a fiber optic is (daytime shooting, or nighttime shooting using a WML or flashlight out front, etc.). Under those conditions, neither of these sights would have much advantage. But there are a few cases of low light use where you CAN see your target, and you CAN see an FO front, but you can see a Tritium + Neon front slightly better. At least that's my working theory, based on some pics and discussion, I'll see how it pans out.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Today I received my HD XR Orange replacements for my G21 I had previously installed the FO's.

I ALSO received the Trijicon HD XR Orange for the 17/19/25 MOS slides. Now I basically have all my pistols with the same sight.

The Ameriglo Agents have a thin frt sight like HD XR's are. Seperate front sight I later found. Even my G48 has Ameriglo's with a .125 frt sight.

My M&P 1.0 with an RMR has Ameriglo Black Suppressor sights.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I have the HD XR's on my M&P2.0 Compact but yellow/green. I love them!

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Here they are, Trijicin HD XR Orange for the Glock MOS slides, 17/19/45

Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    Today I received my HD XR Orange replacements for my G21 I had previously installed the FO's.

I ALSO received the Trijicon HD XR Orange for the 17/19/25 MOS slides. Now I basically have all my pistols with the same sight.

The Ameriglo Agents have a thin frt sight like HD XR's are. Seperate front sight I later found. Even my G48 has Ameriglo's with a .125 frt sight.

My M&P 1.0 with an RMR has Ameriglo Black Suppressor sights.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12