Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol grip star lock washer direction

Feedback Score

Pistol grip star lock washer direction

Is there a direction the pistol grip star lock washer is supposed to face? It has a rougher side and a smoother side. Is the rougher side supposed to face against the screw or the polymer of the grip? It seems like the rougher side against the screw would be better.

Feedback Score
    It doesn't matter. As long as the teeth grip both sides.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I really don't think it makes much difference in the overall scheme of things, but if I had to make a policy on which way the rough side faced, one of my considerations would be what am I trying to stop form turning (loosening) in this case, the bolt, so if I had to make a policy for grip screws it would be sharp edges toward the bolt.

Again, I don't think it matters much in this application.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. I too thought it made more sense to put the sharp side against the bolt.

Feedback Score
    That’s how I do it, teeth facing bolt.
    No idea if it makes a difference but if it does, logically it seems this is how it should work.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You don't stake it? Friggin' hobbyists.....

I agree with "probably does not matter in the least"...but do toward the fastener too. At work we use lots and lots of fasteners and all have a range of torque values, specific installation positions/directions, stack-up sequences, etc. Of all that, basic star washers have none of that - they go in between other fasteners but direction irrelevant. So my toward the fastener head preference is only because it is slightly convex if it only "has teeth on one side" so install it like a belleville washer.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The teeth should be against the bolt preventing it from loosening. Smooth side against the pistol grip.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbieler View Post
    The teeth should be against the bolt preventing it from loosening. Smooth side against the pistol grip.
    Though I do the same, exactly is this any better against loosening? The toothier side may turn less, bit the other side will still turn.

From an engineering perspective, you normally use coarser threads/teeth on softer materials. And smaller on harder. (Larger teeth just flatten between metal)

Edited to add, I don't thing it is a critical thing.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    In this application, I don't believe it's critical either, but the question was asked.

The teeth on the washer are to prevent to prevent rotation/loosening. The grip/grip post are stationary. The bolt turns.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Took a closer look at a lock washer. Looks like it would work either way as long as it’s got some pressure on it. But, I put the rougher side against the screw. That way does seem to put more resistance against the screw turning.
    Last edited by Androctonus; 07-07-19 at 23:16.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast