Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cali quakes..anyone here involved & what are you & others doing for prep?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Cali quakes..anyone here involved & what are you & others doing for prep?

Any members here involved in the recent quakes in Cali?
    What is the general sense out there..panic? Calm? DGAF?
    What are YOU doing to make ready in case of a really big one?
    For those of you behind enemy lines..May God bless & keep you & yours safe.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    We made it through a little more than 800 quakes greater than a 2.5 before we pulled chocks and headed out of town. We needed sleep, and we weren't getting it with all the seismic activity. I've been in earthquakes in 3 different countries and this has been the worst. The 6.4 and 7.1 are really what got our attention.

We suffered a lot of broken glass ware and most of our books wound up on the floor. The house smells of rum, because the bar took a hit. Every cabinet is booby trapped. It was really taking a toll on the kids (16 and 7).

After the 6.4 on the morning of the 4th we had BOBs ready to go. We cleaned up the broken glass and liquids and rigged for sea. I realized our large armoire really needs to be anchored to the wall. I put ratchet straps around the beer fridge, because they kept shaking the doors open. I secured the gas to the house before we departed.

Reactions varied in town, but the constant after shocks just ground everybody down.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for that update brother- stay safe..report back anytime.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here!!!! experienced both, but did not feel the second earthquake. wife and I were walking so I did not feel it. my wife felt like her vertigo kicked in, but it was the earthquake. my family and friends all over felt it and they were freaked out.

Feedback Score
    I care a lot. There are some nuke plants near the fault lines in Cali. Like we could have a Fukushima in this country?

https://frontiergroup.org/blogs/blog...thquake-faults

In the United States, several nuclear reactors in California and New York are located on or near known faults.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Some thoughts so far:

Prep for a natural disaster starts with your insurance. I was amazed how many people were complaining that X,Y, of Z insurance company wouldn't ADD earthquake insurance in the middle of this. Virtually no one around me (myself included) knew what the deductible was on their policy for earthquake damage. Knowing where you stand insurance wise takes away one more thing to worry about. It gives you more time and effort to worry about the important things (your family). There were some high ticket items we keep meaning to add to our insurance. It never seemed important enough until last week. Thankfully, those items survived. This is not an insurance commercial. You pick your horse and take your chances. Just don't snivel afterward if you chose poorly. Years ago, one of my friends lost everything but the clothes on her back in an apartment fire. If it happened to me, at least the next PCS would be easier.

My wife worried about a lot more of our "stuff" than I did. If it didn't survive, so be it. I knew what was important to me. That being said, I've got some stuff I would really miss.

I believe in a simple evac. An evac bag should cover the basics. My wife and daughter packed a bit heavier. I don't argue. I'm just the evac driver. My wife insisted on the lifted 3/4 ton truck as our steed out of town. I was joking when I asked her if I should pack the chainsaw. She commented that she packed a hatchet. There is always one in my toolbox. When informed she responded that two wouldn't hurt. We were prepared for a Dantes Peak style drive out of town. The Subaru would have been sufficient. Of course, the ability to run the BLM roads out here sure is comforting. Just ask the folks in Trona. Lots of dirt roads in and out of Tona, but everything paved was covered in rocks.

People are fantastic. Our neighbors and the people in the town did some darn nice things watching out for one another.

People suck. After days of not sleeping, tempers were flaring everywhere. This included the gas pumps. It felt just like a hurrivac in that respect. People have been returning and continue to return their broken TVs to Walmart.

You can never have enough bottled water. The utilities infrastructure can really take beating. One of the houses around the corner had a ruptured gas line. I secured our gas after the 7.1. I should have secured the water when we left for a couple of days. It is just too easy not to.
    Last edited by Chubbs103; 07-12-19 at 14:26.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Additional thoughts/observations:

More than a few items in our non-perishable food stash were over a year past their expiration dates.
    Comfort items for the kids are essential and should be considered such.
    Keep the kids involved/occupied/informed.

I don't know if I did any of this right, but multiple days into the ordeal my seven year old was super-proud of himself for eating his granola bar into tectonic plates and showing me how earthquakes were made.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs103 View Post
    Some thoughts so far:

Prep for a natural disaster starts with your insurance. I was amazed how many people were complaining that X,Y, of Z insurance company wouldn't ADD earthquake insurance in the middle of this. Virtually no one around me (myself included) knew what the deductible was on their policy for earthquake damage. Knowing where you stand insurance wise takes away one more thing to worry about. It gives you more time and effort to worry about the important things (your family). There were some high ticket items we keep meaning to add to our insurance. It never seemed important enough until last week. Thankfully, those items survived. This is not an insurance commercial. You pick your horse and take your chances. Just don't snivel afterward if you chose poorly. Years ago, one of my friends lost everything but the clothes on her back in an apartment fire. If it happened to me, at least the next PCS would be easier.

My wife worried about a lot more of our "stuff" than I did. If it didn't survive, so be it. I knew what was important to me. That being said, I've got some stuff I would really miss.

I believe in a simple evac. An evac bag should cover the basics. My wife and daughter packed a bit heavier. I don't argue. I'm just the evac driver. My wife insisted on the lifted 3/4 ton truck as our steed out of town. I was joking when I asked her if I should pack the chainsaw. She commented that she packed a hatchet. There is always one in my toolbox. When informed she responded that two wouldn't hurt. We were prepared for a Dantes Peak style drive out of town. The Subaru would have been sufficient. Of course, the ability to run the BLM roads out here sure is comforting. Just ask the folks in Trona. Lots of dirt roads in and out of Tona, but everything paved was covered in rocks.

People are fantastic. Our neighbors and the people in the town did some darn nice things watching out for one another.

People suck. After days of not sleeping, tempers were flaring everywhere. This included the gas pumps. It felt just like a hurrivac in that respect. People have been returning and continue to return their broken TVs to Walmart.

You can never have enough bottled water. The utilities infrastructure can really take beating. One of the houses around the corner had a ruptured gas line. I secured our gas after the 7.1. I should have secured the water when we left for a couple of days. It is just too easy not to.
    My fire insurance came in at over $3000.00 this year before I started whittling them down. Virtually nobody can afford earthquake insurance on top of this. I am not near the San Andreas Fault and my home is engineered to withstand a 7.5 quake. That will have to be good enough. How many people in the Mississippi River Valley have flood insurance yet demand we rebuild their homes after every flood? That is the real problem.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I was awakened middle of last night by a 4.6 earthquake that shook the Seattle area. Whole bed was rattling like crazy and a nightstand drawer flew open. Thought I had a poltergeist.

We have a stash of about 6 months of Mountain House freeze dried, water treatment, etc. At first we couldn't get quake insurance due to living in the Cascadia subduction zone, but eventually found Amica insurance would give us a rider.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    My fire insurance came in at over $3000.00 this year before I started whittling them down. Virtually nobody can afford earthquake insurance on top of this. I am not near the San Andreas Fault and my home is engineered to withstand a 7.5 quake. That will have to be good enough. How many people in the Mississippi River Valley have flood insurance yet demand we rebuild their homes after every flood? That is the real problem.
    In your situation, I wouldn't have it either. I'm really not encouraging it for anyone. What I am recommending, is to have an understanding of what your risk level is and to make a decision that you can live with. Do that early, so when the balloon goes up, you are not burning brain cells worrying about it.
    Last edited by Chubbs103; 07-12-19 at 20:30. Reason: grammer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast