Thread: Bipod Mount Screw Contacting Barrel

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Bipod Mount Screw Contacting Barrel

I have an 18" CHF chrome lined/phosphate Rainier barrel with a 15" ALG V0 Mlok rail and a Magpul bipod mount. When I installed the mount, I noticed there was only 1/8 - 1/16" of space between one of the screws and the barrel (hard to measure). I could squeeze the rail against the barrel and make the screw touch, but I decided that would never happen under normal use.
    I was cleaning and inspecting the rifle yesterday after a range session when I saw that the bipod mount screw had significantly marked the barrel where it had been contacting it.
    Obviously I underestimated the effects of barrel whip and rail flex and am interested to see if accuracy/consistency increases after I grind down the screw a bit.
    The rifle has not shot as well as I expected during zeroing and casual shooting, but I was inclined to think it was the Indian not the arrow.

BLUF - if you think something is too close to touching your free-floated barrel, you are probably right.

Andy

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    If you get a chance google up barrel whip video.. They shake and wiggle like string of spaghetti! I try to keep everything 1/8" away from the barrel.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    For sure, barrels whip around pretty good, always check your LPGB/hardware clearance as well, it's even worse.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    This is a common problem with modern, ever-shrinking MLOK handguard designs. There's barely room for the gas block in many of them, so you end up with about 2" of unusable rail space underneath because any rail covers, rail sections or accessories you attach will hit the gas block or barrel.

Feedback Score
    Almost every build I do has this problem in one way or another. As long as I can tighten down the screw all the way, it gives me an indication of how much to Dremel off. Then I hit it with cold blue and oil.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    G's MK4 and MK13 to the rescue.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!