Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 notes.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

HK USP 45 notes.

Partially inspired by a great thread on Pistol Forum, I decided to pick up a .45 USP. I have owned HK45, HK45C and used to Own USP45 compacts, but I always avoided the full-size because of my impression that the gun was "too big." However, over the years I have found my sensitivity to grip size, triggers etc has dropped off. I am more likely to find a grip too small than too big.

Anyway, I found a nice one at the local gs and traded the godawful shockwave I bought on a whim. It is a 99 model in barely used condition with a single AWB era 12 rounder. I paid $550 before the trade ($225 for the shockwave which wasn't bad considering I got it from Brownells shipped for free for around $275 a few weeks ago). I quickly bought three more 12 rounders off gun broker and ordered some HD sights. Then I found me a used Galco paddle. A fully outfitted blaster with mags, sights, holster for less than a new one off gun broker. For once, I did good!

Anyway, I took it out and ran 200 rounds through it the first day and was fairly impressed with the recoil. It isn't as smooth as a 1911, but wasn't as much of a see-saw as I expected. Today I took out the Beretta 92 GSD and blazed on my pistol plates (I am lucky enough to have my own pistol pit these days). I then ran the USP with some WWB and noticed that it was pretty smooth. Obviously splits weren't as good as the heavy 9mm, but it was less than you might expect. If you transitioned between plates instead of double tapping the plates there was basically no difference...and the HD front sight is huge on the USP. Really good for 46 years old eyes that were never good.

So, I have a fair amount of property and more heavy wild life than you would expect in middle GA. I decided after a recent alligator visit that I might prefer a little more blaster than my J-frame when clearing brush, etc. The only thing I miss is the first round of snake shot in the J-frame so I guess I'll just carry both.

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr

Has anyone tried out the TLR-4 with USP clamp and ran any rounds through it? I was thinking it might be a reasonable addition for beside the bed duty. I am afraid it looks a little dinky for .45 use.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I've run CCI snakeshot out of an HK45 and it worked. You could consider doing the same with the USP, cuz I bet it'd work.

And no USP45 thread is complete without...

" Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Interesting - did the CCI snake shot reliably cycle the pistol?

I sometimes carry a 40-year-old Austin Behlert 1911, just for fun. It would be useful to have a spare mag of snake shot at times.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Interesting - did the CCI snake shot reliably cycle the pistol?

I sometimes carry a 40-year-old Austin Behlert 1911, just for fun. It would be useful to have a spare mag of snake shot at times.
    For the four or five rounds I fired out of it, yeah, it worked. I wasn't expecting it to, but, hey; H&K, I guess.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I've run CCI snakeshot out of an HK45 and it worked. You could consider doing the same with the USP, cuz I bet it'd work.
    Religion is doing what you are told no matter what is right. Morality is doing what is right no matter what you are told...

Feedback Score
    A buddy of mine went through 20 rds of snake shot from a colt Commander .45 over the years killing snakes.

He reported two stoppages. The gun has about 600 rds of fmj through it IIRC and never had had any other stoppage.

So in his experience the snake shot cycles "well enough."

My experience with snake shot mirrors his in that you have to be close. 15 ft is probably the max distance and you'll have fire two or three shot probably. 10 ft or less should be fine, but the closer the better.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The usp 45 has always been a favorite the the 45acp round for me. I have big hands and the pistol
    is not overly large to me and I shoot it better than glock, or 1911s. I'm surprised its not more poplular.

Feedback Score
    Sexy pistol. I love the modularity of the trigger system, I think there are 9 different variation a person could choose from, for the one pistol.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That's a sweet pistol. I've always loved H&Ks but never pulled the trigger on the USP due to the cost of magazines. Looks like you did exceptionally well on this deal. Can we expect a break my USP series in the near future?
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I sold my HK45 and HK45C but till have my P30 & P30sk and VP9. Its my opinion that nothing cycles as smoothly as an HK. And the mags are hands down tops quality. The guns run like they were dipped in butter. Enjoy your new blaster, the USP45 is a classic.

Im crazy enough to buy the Mark23, just one day for shits and giggles.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast