Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 notes.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    They haven't regularly had the LEO stamp since around 2005. So it sounds like those mags are a minimum of 14 years old *and a max of 24) so that might explain the springs. My gun was made in 99 so it has one LEO mag. All the other 6 mags I have had to buy are all unmarked.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Well that's good to hear.

I might buy a couple new HK mags.

I guess used USP 9mm's fetch a higher price?

Feedback Score
    Any test specific to the HK to see if the recoil or other springs are weak?

This gun has not been fired much. Judging by the wear, I'd guess between 500 and 2000 rds. Probably in the middle of that range.

Feedback Score
    If I remember correctly HK suggest recoil and hammer spring replacement every 25,000 rounds and other springs every 50,000 rounds. I met a guy who had over 200,000 rounds trough his issue USP (9mm, that is what some units use here) without replacing any parts or springs until his slide cracked. Probably his slide would be still GTG if he replaced springs on schedule.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post
    If I remember correctly HK suggest recoil and hammer spring replacement every 25,000 rounds and other springs every 50,000 rounds. I met a guy who had over 200,000 rounds trough his issue USP (9mm, that is what some units use here) without replacing any parts or springs until his slide cracked. Probably his slide would be still GTG if he replaced springs on schedule.
    That seems pretty nuts. I'd guess 5000 for the recoil spring and maybe 10k for other springs.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I don’t think 25,000 is unheard of for USP recoil spring assemblies. Minimum of 10,000, at least. Same for other springs. If I buy a used gun, I usually replace the most failure prone parts right away, just because.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I would totally buy that on the 9mm, it is massively overbuilt, even as a .40.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I'd guess 5000 for the recoil spring and maybe 10k for other springs.
    From certain HK P30 long term test:

So the big news this week, obviously, is that we passed the 25,000 round mark! HK’s Director of Sales, Mark Osborne, volunteered to shoot #25,000 and of course we were there to record the moment:

P30-25000

The day before that photo was taken, the P30 got its 25k maintenance performed. Parts replaced were:

trigger return spring
    hammer spring
    hammer strut
    firing pin spring
    recoil spring & guide rod assembly

That’s it. With that, HK expects the gun to make it to 50,000 rounds. I’ve never owned a pistol that required so little in the way of upkeep. Changing the recoil spring just once every 25k … that’s unbelievable.
    HK USP dual spring recoil assembly actually has a bit easier job to do than in P30, thanks for later unlocking and slower slide speed.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Well that's pretty cool.

The slide returns to battery just fine with hammer cocked and gun held straight up while releasing slide as slow as possible.

So, I'll leave it alone. I did notice the dual recoil springs are pretty stout! (Big)

Feedback Score
    I know people say the grip is "huge" but I have medium hands and disagree.

Comparing it to a Beretta M92 with standard style grips the USP is a little narrower and no longer. Maybe a little shorter even. (Front to back)

The USP is a little shorter overall. (Slide/barrel length) The rest of the dimensions are nearly equal.

It seems the Beretta (with 16 rds of 124 gr) weighs about 1 oz more. (40 vs 41 oz loaded) The S&W 2.0 full-size .45 I had weighed 38 oz if I recall. (Loaded with 10+1)
    Last edited by Ron3; 08-08-19 at 07:24.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast