Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 notes.

Feedback Score
    I love and have been a big proponent of the USP45 for years. The most accurate gun I've ever shot. I've used mine in multiple training classes. I don't shoot it much anymore as I mainly shoot 9mm, but I still get her out every now and again. I've got 12,251 rounds through it and haven't changed a part yet... even though they've been hard miles. What a tank of a gun.

And yes, even though I don't have the manual in front of me, the recoil spring is good to 25k I think in the 9 and 45 and 20k in the 40. Something like that. I've got 20,600 rounds through my P30L V1 9mm and have only changed the TRS as scheduled maintenance.
    Last edited by Talon167; 08-08-19 at 16:53.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Like Greg, that Pistol Forum thread got me to look at the USP 45 again. I have been debating going to the 1911 or HK45 over my P30LS for carry, and these USP45 threads got me thinking about it, especially the 12rds of .45 Auto aspect. A good deal/impulse buy later and I'm now the owner of a USP 45 Expert.

While it's a big pistol, the grip is a lot smaller than I remember it being and seems to lock in very nicely. With the flat magazine base pads it's actually shorter than the HK45, so should be no issue carrying AIWB. Will wring it out at the range this weekend, and if it behaves like I think it will, then there will likely be a USP 45 Tactical or standard USP 45 in my future for carry.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've had one since about 1998. I need to shoot it more as well. I always struggled finding a decent holster. What are folks finding out there these days?

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    Partially inspired by a great thread on Pistol Forum, I decided to pick up a .45 USP. I have owned HK45, HK45C and used to Own USP45 compacts, but I always avoided the full-size because of my impression that the gun was "too big." However, over the years I have found my sensitivity to grip size, triggers etc has dropped off. I am more likely to find a grip too small than too big.
    After shooting my USP 45 Expert, I've decided to go to the USP 45 Expert/Tactical for carry. One of the clinchers was seeing the "actual" size of the USP 45 vs the internet reputation of the USP 45 being giant and "too big."

For AIWB carry, the USP 45 is essentially the same size as a P30L. Just 1/5 of an inch taller. Here's the "giant" USP Expert 45 next to my P30LS.

Last edited by Hunter Rose; 08-17-19 at 22:32.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I totally agree. A lot of guns I used to think of as big are not. Basically, everything that is bigger than a J-frame or a Shield is big, and is going to require a lot of effort to conceal. You might as well have the best gun you can carry.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Rose View Post
    After shooting my USP 45 Expert, I've decided to go to the USP 45 Expert/Tactical for carry. One of the clinchers was seeing the "actual" size of the USP 45 vs the internet reputation of the USP 45 being giant and "too big."

For AIWB carry, the USP 45 is essentially the same size as a P30L. Just 1/5 of an inch taller. Here's the "giant" USP Expert 45 next to my P30LS.

Are the Expert and Mark 23 the only pistols HK made with an ambidextrous safety?
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Are the Expert and Mark 23 the only pistols HK made with an ambidextrous safety?
    The USP Elite 6" barrel target version also comes with a factory ambi.
    Last edited by Hunter Rose; 08-18-19 at 01:31.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    I totally agree. A lot of guns I used to think of as big are not. Basically, everything that is bigger than a J-frame or a Shield is big, and is going to require a lot of effort to conceal. You might as well have the best gun you can carry.
    It's interesting to me because the common perception is the USP 45 is a giant, chunky gun compared to everything else out there. In reality, the standard USP 45 is essentially Glock 17 or P30L sized overall. If you can conceal a P30L or Glock 17, you can likely conceal a USP 45.

Somebody posted in the Pistol-Forum thread that the USP looks/feels much larger than it actually is. I think that is a very accurate statement.

Feedback Score
    I’ve had a 2000 USP 9mm for years, I think this platform is best in .45 but couldn’t turn down this one for the price. Has almost no recoil so is a good platform for hot loads. One of the few pistols I can easily shoot one handed or off handed. While it is a big pistol, it still feels better in my medium sized hands than my 92fs or G40.

The mags that my 9mm came with have springs as strong as the new mags I bought two years ago. And I picked up a new recoil spring last year but the original spring had the same length and appeared to show no wear, so it’s saved as a spare. USPs really don’t seem to have any weak spots or faults, if you like the ergos & trigger it’s a solid bet. May not be the best option for a competition/race gun but one of the best service grade choices available.

I also used to have a Sig p220 & p226, both great older guns but they’re gone, the USP stayed. If something goes bump in the night it’s the USP that comes out.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    The P30S is factory ambi safety.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast