Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: HK USP 45 notes.

Feedback Score
    Can someone post here (or PM me) the link to the PistolForum discussion on the USP45?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    And just like that, what was old is new and fashionable again!

At least we haven't devolved back to 22LR J-frame talk again. HK USP45s is something I can get behind!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon167 View Post
    Can someone post here (or PM me) the link to the PistolForum discussion on the USP45?
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....5-field-pistol
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Most of the pistol forum thread on the USP is devoted to its efficacy as a field pistol firing 45 Super vs bears and other such critters.

I think I will start a thread over there about the USP 45 where the primary focus is it being used as a carry gun.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    And now, living in bear country, I'm super interested in a USP 45 for shooting 45 Super.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Are the Expert and Mark 23 the only pistols HK made with an ambidextrous safety?
    You can install ambi safety kit on any USP, USP Compact and HK45 variant. However models that come with ambi safety stock from factory are:
    Mark 23, all P30S series, USP Match (discontinued), USP Expert and USP Elite.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    I kinda want a USP 9mm full-size now after enjoying my USP .45 lately.

The 9mm FS is a little shorter in the grip than the .45 FS, which is good. The USP compact 9mm has too short a slide / barrel for the frame. (my opinion)

Why do some prefer the USP in .45 instead of 9mm?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by montrala View Post
    You can install ambi safety kit on any USP, USP Compact and HK45 variant. However models that come with ambi safety stock from factory are:
    Mark 23, all P30S series, USP Match (discontinued), USP Expert and USP Elite.
    Thanks for that tidbit.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I believe the main appeal of the USP 45, based on the P-F thread, was its suitability for firing 45 Super in a field pistol role. For EDC I would prefer a 9mm.

Interestingly, the HK45 did not seem to perform will with 45 Super but the HK45c did.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post

All this is just my opinion, but it's my thought process that led me to getting the USP 45 spun up as my carry gun.

Personally, I just like .45 Auto and think it's very good for a defensive pistol round. All that increased bullet technology that has brought 9mm to where it is today has also improved .45 Auto in my opinion. Darryl Bolke's observations on Pistol-Forum of .45 Auto 230 gr +P HST's real world performance lend to its effectiveness.

As for the USP Fullsize, it makes more sense to me in .45 Auto and while I've become a fan lately of it in .45, all of my enthusiasm doesn't really translate to the USP in 9mm.

For the USP 45, it does stuff for me that other pistols don't:

- Capacity: It gives me 12+1 capacity in .45; to me that is a sweet spot where I don't feel like I'm really giving up a whole lot capacity wise to a 15+1 9mm. That decision matrix changed when I was looking at an 8+1 1911 or a 10+1 HK45. Having 3 less rds than a 9mm was not a big deal to me, but having 5 or 7 less rds in the gun makes a 9mm more attractive

- Recoil: the recoil reduction system & blocky grip works for me; I feel the USP has the least felt recoil of all the 45 pistols I've tried, that ease of shooting a .45 offsets that the sights do not track straight up and down. I can live with the different sight tracking characteristics, because my grip never breaks and I have to concentrate less on grip/recoil control.

- Accuracy: it's stupid accurate; even more so in single action with the Match tigger. My USPs are all Variant 9, so the safety does not de-cock and I carry it cocked and locked like a 1911 and all shots are SA

So ultimately, my feelings are the USP 45 gives me 1911 accuracy and trigger sweetness, high capacity with HK reliability/durability, in a package that is not really noticeably larger than a Glock 17 or HK P30LS (as that size relates to carry/concealability).

However, in the USP 9 the calculus changes a bit for me. Because the 9mm recoils a lot less than 45, the recoil reduction system and blocky grip don't really give me any benefit over the P30LS. Because of less recoil, the P30LS doesn't squirm in my hand like the HK45 does. Since grip/recoil control is not an issue, I prefer the P30LS straight up and down sight tracking over the USP 9. I do like the trigger better in the USP though.

The USP 9 is also not very size efficient for a 9mm. Due to the thick polymer mags, it only offers 15 rds. I've always thought an easy improvement for the USP would have been for HK to develop a steel mag for it. With the reduced thickness, I think they'd have an 18 rd mag with HK mag awesomeness that does not extend below the USP grip. That would be a compelling package for me.

Ultimately, I think the USP 45 offers some things that no other .45 out there does, where I feel there are plenty of 9mms that offer advantages over the USP 9.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast