Thread: aimpoint magnifier w/ burris mount isses

Feedback Score

aimpoint magnifier w/ burris mount isses

so I just purchased a new Aimpoint 3xc with a burris at pivot mount for a full co-witness. I have a aimpoint h-1 and a American defense QD full co-witness to work with my iron sights if need be. So my problem is when ever I'm using the magnifier I'm shooting 4in high at 50 yards. Take off the magnifier and I'm zeroed all day. I have tried different ways of reseting the magnifier on the mount. The mount is solid on the rifle not moving around at all. I have spoken to a couple of different people and they all say it is probably the mount. That it is unlikely for the magnifier to be causing the issue because it only magnifies the picture. That this specific mount setup is not working properly? I just ordered a Larue mount for the magnifier. You guys ever heard of any problem like this before?? Thanks

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Have you tried adjusting the magnifier using the centering adjustments on it? This might help.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    Have you tried adjusting the magnifier using the centering adjustments on it? This might help.
    In addition to this, a magnifier adds significant parallax IIRC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drtywk View Post
    yup did not make any difference on POI

Feedback Score
    91 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by matt20 View Post
    yup did not make any difference on POI
    Swapping the mount out should correct the issue if centering the dot didn’t work. I run the new Scalarworks flip to side mount with my 3X-C and it is awesome. So much so, that I will be picking up another combo.
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

- George Orwell

Feedback Score
    So I got a Larue mount to try and to correct the issue same problem. I’m giving up and returning all the products

Feedback Score
    Did you center the dot in the magnifier and re-zero at 3X? After re-zeroing, the POI shift disappeared for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by essjay View Post
    Did you center the dot in the magnifier and re-zero at 3X? After re-zeroing, the POI shift disappeared for me.
    I did not try this due to me fearing it would throw my zero off on my red dot when not using The magnifier. Everything I have read or heard as been that there should be no adjustment when you ass the magnifier

Feedback Score
    That may be true for some people, but it wasn't for me. My original zero was dead on (or, dead-on enough), but on installing my 3X-C and centering the dot, I found that my magnified POI was maybe 1-1/2 inches left at 50 yards. I re-zeroed using the magnifier, and then re-checked my POI unmagnified (and re-checked back and forth repeatedly at 50 and 100 yards). After doing this, I found that the POIs both matched, with slightly better magnified grouping. My guess is that the offset is a result of the increased dot clarity when magnified (ie: when magnified and adjusted using the diopter, it's a clean, crisp 2 MOA dot when set to the optimum brightness setting, but, unmagnified, it can appear larger depending on your eyes, the optic's brightness setting, and the lighting on the target). There's also the issue of parallax when using the magnifier, which has a relatively tight eye relief and eye box.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by essjay View Post
    That may be true for some people, but it wasn't for me. My original zero was dead on (or, dead-on enough), but on installing my 3X-C and centering the dot, I found that my magnified POI was maybe 1-1/2 inches left at 50 yards. I re-zeroed using the magnifier, and then re-checked my POI unmagnified (and re-checked back and forth repeatedly at 50 and 100 yards). After doing this, I found that the POIs both matched, with slightly better magnified grouping. My guess is that the offset is a result of the increased dot clarity when magnified (ie: when magnified and adjusted using the diopter, it's a clean, crisp 2 MOA dot when set to the optimum brightness setting, but, unmagnified, it can appear larger depending on your eyes, the optic's brightness setting, and the lighting on the target). There's also the issue of parallax when using the magnifier, which has a relatively tight eye relief and eye box.

But I am 4in in a difference between POI if it was minimal then yes I would think I need to re zero with the magnifier but I think that’s just to much for a difference. I was at 50 yards would shoot a group of 3 magnified 4in high. Then I would shoot just on the H1 and it would be all on target. (Shooting 3in paper circles) I will give it a try though can’t hurt right!!