Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do AR Pistol Lower Receiver Holes Take More of a Battering?

Feedback Score

Do AR Pistol Lower Receiver Holes Take More of a Battering?

On TOS there is a long thread on high round count AR's and it comes to light that the receiver holes on AR pistols eventually egg out more due to the more violent recoil impulse from a shorty barrel (under 14.5").

HOWEVER....

Battlefield Vegas rents primarily full auto AR's for use at their range. I'm curious: those of you with semi-auto only AR pistols with high round counts, have you noticed the receiver holes go south quicker? What round counts are we talking? Is it only with budget lowers or all lowers regardless of quality?

Just curious if an AR pistol by its very nature should be shot less than a rifle unless one intense to install the KNS pins?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Don't believe this is an issue with military XM177's and MK18's.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    With a proper gas port and buffer/spring there’s no reason a “pistol” will go south quicker.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    With a proper gas port and buffer/spring there’s no reason a “pistol” will go south quicker.
    I would expect a carbine gassed gun with a 10.5 - 11.5" barrel to have less parts breakage than one with a 16" barrel due to the increased dwell time with the longer tube. The carbine length gas system was developed for the CAR-15.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I would expect a carbine gassed gun with a 10.5 - 11.5" barrel to have less parts breakage than one with a 16" barrel due to the increased dwell time with the longer tube
    I'm curious as to what you're basing that statement on other than feelings.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I'm curious as to what you're basing that statement on other than feelings.
    The words "I expect" imply that I am not providing imperial data.

Making an assumption based on a lifetime of working with mechanisms is hardly "feelings".

Since you wish to cast aspersions on my theory, please feel free to supply quantifiable data to support a counter argument.

Andy

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    What the **** is with this pistol bs

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    What the **** is with this pistol bs
    For my part , I am just argumentative and have poor social skills.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The words "I expect" imply that I am not providing imperial data.

Making an assumption based on a lifetime of working with mechanisms is hardly "feelings".

Since you wish to cast aspersions on my theory, please feel free to supply quantifiable data to support a counter argument.

Andy
    Your assumption tells me you have very little experience with either. SBR's have a long history of being harder on gas rings, BCGs, barrels than 16" rifles, but that only matters if both are shot enough to wear parts out. Both will last forever sitting in a closet.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    SBR's have a long history of being harder on gas rings, BCGs, barrels than 16" rifles, but that only matters if both are shot enough to wear parts out. Both will last forever sitting in a closet.
    As I suspected. I plan to run the heaviest buffer that will function both 5.56 and .223 in order to wring the maximum reliability out of the pistol.

I'm curious as to the round counts people are getting before major problems (like cracked bolts, egged receivers, etc.) start occurring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast