G&R Tactical
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Do AR Pistol Lower Receiver Holes Take More of a Battering?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    8,703
    Feedback Score
    0

    Do AR Pistol Lower Receiver Holes Take More of a Battering?

    On TOS there is a long thread on high round count AR's and it comes to light that the receiver holes on AR pistols eventually egg out more due to the more violent recoil impulse from a shorty barrel (under 14.5").

    HOWEVER....


    Battlefield Vegas rents primarily full auto AR's for use at their range. I'm curious: those of you with semi-auto only AR pistols with high round counts, have you noticed the receiver holes go south quicker? What round counts are we talking? Is it only with budget lowers or all lowers regardless of quality?

    Just curious if an AR pistol by its very nature should be shot less than a rifle unless one intense to install the KNS pins?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    936
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Don't believe this is an issue with military XM177's and MK18's.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,331
    Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    With a proper gas port and buffer/spring there’s no reason a “pistol” will go south quicker.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,123
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    With a proper gas port and buffer/spring there’s no reason a “pistol” will go south quicker.
    I would expect a carbine gassed gun with a 10.5 - 11.5" barrel to have less parts breakage than one with a 16" barrel due to the increased dwell time with the longer tube. The carbine length gas system was developed for the CAR-15.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    741
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I would expect a carbine gassed gun with a 10.5 - 11.5" barrel to have less parts breakage than one with a 16" barrel due to the increased dwell time with the longer tube
    I'm curious as to what you're basing that statement on other than feelings.
    "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."- Neil McCauley

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    11,102
    Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    What the **** is with this pistol bs

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,123
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    I'm curious as to what you're basing that statement on other than feelings.
    The words "I expect" imply that I am not providing imperial data.

    Making an assumption based on a lifetime of working with mechanisms is hardly "feelings".

    Since you wish to cast aspersions on my theory, please feel free to supply quantifiable data to support a counter argument.

    Andy

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    741
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The words "I expect" imply that I am not providing imperial data.

    Making an assumption based on a lifetime of working with mechanisms is hardly "feelings".

    Since you wish to cast aspersions on my theory, please feel free to supply quantifiable data to support a counter argument.

    Andy
    Your assumption tells me you have very little experience with either. SBR's have a long history of being harder on gas rings, BCGs, barrels than 16" rifles, but that only matters if both are shot enough to wear parts out. Both will last forever sitting in a closet.
    "Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you feel the heat around the corner."- Neil McCauley

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    8,703
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    SBR's have a long history of being harder on gas rings, BCGs, barrels than 16" rifles, but that only matters if both are shot enough to wear parts out. Both will last forever sitting in a closet.
    As I suspected. I plan to run the heaviest buffer that will function both 5.56 and .223 in order to wring the maximum reliability out of the pistol.

    I'm curious as to the round counts people are getting before major problems (like cracked bolts, egged receivers, etc.) start occurring.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    1,123
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    What the **** is with this pistol bs
    For my part , I am just argumentative and have poor social skills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •