Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cloudy finish post color fill.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by essray View Post
    Thanks for the input for those who gave advice. it was a rookie mistake. I’m new to ARs and was not looking for an IG show piece like um I didn’t know a cerecoted pink tool gun. I was simply adding a training aid in identifying “safe” and “fire” at a glance. My deepest apologies.

It does make me chuckle when asking for advice and the feedback is straight mockery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Training is what you need to identify if the gun is on safe or fire. Not nail polish.

Truth.

Never have redundancies. Measure once, cut once. Never spell check. One look in the rear view mirror and you are good.

Ha! Have a great day guys

The measure twice, cut once idea is great for carpentry but has nothing to do with operating a carbine. Neither does your rear view mirror analogy.

You're new here and you could learn a ton about the AR15 if you cut the attitude and spend a bunch of time reading old threads and new.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Double tap.......
    Last edited by Five_Point_Five_Six; 07-10-19 at 08:51.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    OP, you may get some crap, but people who have commented want you to understand something important. There are threads somewhere on filling the markings, as is done by military level companies such as HK and LMT. So while some might give you a hard time on that, the bigger point is that it is 100% unnecessary with the most basic proper training.
    One could make the case that colors could help identify selection in low light while not retaining the weapon, but I’m not sure that really would hold water considering the size of the selector and the fact one could visually identify whether or not it is pointed up or to the side, without red/white markings.

There’s nothing wrong with imitating quality companies because you think their method looks cool. I hope you got an answer to your actual question.

Stick around, this place has a wealth of practical knowledge, though members can be harsh about what they believe to be impractical. That’s not all bad.
    “God doesn’t need your good works, but your neighbor does.” - Luther

Quote Originally Posted by 1168
    7.5” is the Ed Hardy of barrel lengths.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Training is what you need to identify if the gun is on safe or fire. Not nail polish.

The measure twice, cut once idea is great for carpentry but has nothing to do with operating a carbine. Neither does your rear view mirror analogy.

You're new here and you could learn a ton about the AR15 if you cut the attitude and spend a bunch of time reading old threads and new.
    Indeed I could learn a lot and was seeking advice from seasoned members (who may have started out as I am now) as I regret my nail polish haste. Hence signing up for the forum. But they were analogies And don’t have to contain the same gravity applying to. I’m just not sure why I would not want redundancy or some would mock safety.

That said.

I will abide and I absolutely didn’t mean to unsettle any members. It’s all good and my deepest apologies. Have a wonderful week guys.

Feedback Score
    When the safety lever is up and down, the safety is off. This lever position is visible at a glance from several yards away. The writing is small and therefore harder to see and not useful at all.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    OP, No apologies necessary. Personally, color fill is fine if it's kept to a minimum, as in your case. I'm sure we have all seen some examples where it has gone overboard and the end result is reminiscent of a Tokyo Ginza billboard! Hell, some owners are even "Witness mark" addicts. A plethora of red, green, or white dots and dashes all over the weapon. Now THAT would be a distraction. Rock on and be one with your weapon!

Feedback Score
    You gotta have thick skin around here. Nothing wrong with color fill, but nothing gained either but asthetics.
    The safety position can be seen by looking at it- you need to get to know safe/fire and where they are.
    If you have to read it- you need to spend more time with it.

That said, if you like the nail polish, rock it and ignore the comments.
    ��

Feedback Score
    Maybe. It really comes down to the finish (smooth or rough) of the anodizing. If it's rough, like a LaRue mount for example, it's going to have that cloudiness that can be stubborn. If the finish is smooth(ish), here's what you do. Purchase a pure acetone product from a hardware store. Can't be sure what you started with, but since you used nail polish, it should come right off. You may need to use an old toothbrush to get in the pores, if the finish is rough. Try to dab it, instead of rub/scrub, to wick the acetone into the wipe along with the color. You may have to try several methods to get it clean. Once you get all that color out, you're done. Leave it be and enjoy reading the forum.

I tried to color in the “fire safe” on my HM defense lower. After removing the excess I was cloudy. I tried some nail polish and it’s still a touch cloudy.

I put some oil on it after reading that some ar finishes do this

Is this reversible?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Indeed I could learn a lot and was seeking advice from seasoned members (who may have started out as I am now) as I regret my nail polish haste. Hence signing up for the forum. But they were analogies And don’t have to contain the same gravity applying to. I’m just not sure why I would not want redundancy or some would mock safety.

That said.

I will abide and I absolutely didn’t mean to unsettle any members. It’s all good and my deepest apologies. Have a wonderful week guys.

Even though I think 99% of the time color filling looks silly and amateurish, I don't care what other people do to their guns and my issue isn't that you like color fill. I'm trying to tell you that relying on colored selector notches is a piss poor way of determining the condition of your rifle. Nobody in this thread and nobody on this forum would mock useful safety procedures.

A tactile feel of the selector will tell you everything you need to know about whether it's on safe or fire. If you have to rely on colorful words, you lack familiarity and training.

A while back there was a safety selector being advertised with a tritium insert to aide in operation in the dark. The only people, and I mean 100% of the people who I saw saying it was a good idea were people with zero training. Your method falls in the same category.

I'm not trying to be a dick to you, I'm trying to help you avoid wasting time learning things the hard way. I wish I had access to forums like this when I started out in the late 90's. It would have saved me a lot time, effort and energy unlearning bad habits that I acquired.

Feedback Score
    OP: you know, I know, and everyone here knows redundancy and safety had zero to do with the color fill. You thought it looked cool. Fine. People busted your chops and you made up a justification, when you could have just said, “I thought it’d look cool. Piss off.” People like myself would have thought, “Eh. Not my thing but whatever” and moved on.

Instead you’re trying to turn it into “I don’t know why everyone is so opposed to being as safe as me” garbage when a) the color fill is irrelevant to safety and b) that has exactly zero to do with your reason for the color fill to begin with. That’s bound to get some hackles up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast