Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What rifles are "drop safe"?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    If you're defining, "drop safe," as possessing a firing pin safety: The HK416 and HK417 have firing pin safeties.

Most other rifles have floating firing pins or spring-loaded firing pins and rely on mil-spec hard primers to prevent the rifle from going, "boom," when it is not desired.
    I didnt know that about the 416/417, thanks.

I hadn't considered the primers, either.

I once watched an LEO back away from a bathroom sink after setting his chambered patrol AR on the counter. We were talking and as I watched the sling caught his gear and pulled the rifle off the counter. After some fast juggling he caught it just before it hit the floor.

I wonder if that rifle would have fire had he not interrupted its fall. It was facing away from us, but the room behind the wall may have been occupied, as well as the room behind that. Then there was a cinder block wall.

I think this was after the switch to Gold Dots. 55 gr I think.

I was too far away to do anything but get my hands over my ears.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    With floating firing pins, how likely is it for that firing pin to build more inertia in a drop than it has during chambering a round? In other words, if a rifle isn’t slamfiring and doubling, I don’t think a reasonable drop is likely to cause an unintentional discharge.Unless the trigger mechanism itself is not “drop safe”. But I don’t truly know the answer here, just brainstorming out loud.

I can’t say “it can’t happen” because I’m no engineer. However, I can say that I’ve never seen it happen, and I’ve seen some rifles take a spill. But maybe its more likely with civilian ammo.

Obviously someone needs to chamber a blank and drop a rifle off a roof a few times. But I bet its already been done.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Delete.
    Last edited by RetroRevolver77; 08-01-20 at 12:21.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    The 320 met all the industry norms for “drop safe,” before the internet melted. After the one specific issue was found, they fixed that too. The pistol now exceeds all the standards it can be measured against, save emotions on the internet.

I’m sure HK appreciates the internet finding a new whipping boy. I am always curious as to how many Sig and HK haters have actually owned any of those products or interacted with those companies. I own less than some, but more Sigs and HKs than most people. The products have been solid and customer service has been fine too. Maybe if they gave people a crappy hat, some condiments, and other assorted BS they would have more forum support. I’ve been happy with the guns and haven’t needed more.

As to the OP, there’s always going to be some dolt to prove you wrong, but most guns will survive a fall off the table.
    You sound like a sig fanboy which is ok. I've owned multiple sigs- sold them all. Dont get me started on 365. Only one I regret not keeping is my p220 combat. Sig used to be top tier. I currently own multiple HKs and love them all.. Still a Glock guy at heart.

Sig knew of the issue and was confronted with it on multiple accounts by high profile people in the firearms industry. They are trying to make new innovation and fast to keep up in the market but to to what expense? They discretely were making a fix until video evidence appeared and forced them to publicly address the issue. There is ongoing complaints about Sig and their QC, this is not tinfoil hat conspiracy but fact in the industry.

I do understand why Sig guys get upset when their product line is deteriorating before their own eyes. They were once one of the best.

I'm not saying Sig is an inferior product. Their lineup is above most, have great customer service and will fix issues. I'm happy they are still innovating in the market. Their suppressor program are considered IMO their best attribute this far. Once Kevin Brittingham*who founded AAC joined their program, it's been their biggest positive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    The 320 met all the industry norms for “drop safe,” before the internet melted. After the one specific issue was found, they fixed that too. The pistol now exceeds all the standards it can be measured against, save emotions on the internet.

I’m sure HK appreciates the internet finding a new whipping boy. I am always curious as to how many Sig and HK haters have actually owned any of those products or interacted with those companies. I own less than some, but more Sigs and HKs than most people. The products have been solid and customer service has been fine too. Maybe if they gave people a crappy hat, some condiments, and other assorted BS they would have more forum support. I’ve been happy with the guns and haven’t needed more.

As to the OP, there’s always going to be some dolt to prove you wrong, but most guns will survive a fall off the table.
    I too have have enjoyed my HK's and Sig's. And I think their Legion line of pistols are among the best off the shelf handguns. its MPX was my first Sig product. And that too has run great. obviously YMMV. Oh and yes their cans are quite nice too.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 07-11-19 at 13:23.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    At one time, many would ask you to direct your question to the French, but the joke was they tossed the weapon on the ground, not drop it. Now we have seen some recent French successful special operations activity on the African continent, so I would not insult those operators.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    With floating firing pins, how likely is it for that firing pin to build more inertia in a drop than it has during chambering a round? In other words, if a rifle isn’t slamfiring and doubling, I don’t think a reasonable drop is likely to cause an unintentional discharge.Unless the trigger mechanism itself is not “drop safe”. But I don’t truly know the answer here, just brainstorming out loud.

I can’t say “it can’t happen” because I’m no engineer. However, I can say that I’ve never seen it happen, and I’ve seen some rifles take a spill. But maybe its more likely with civilian ammo.

Obviously someone needs to chamber a blank and drop a rifle off a roof a few times. But I bet its already been done.
    I'd like to see this testing done, too.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Larry Vickers threw a DD out of a helicopter and it didn't fire. Someone else (can't remember who) did it with a M&P Sport II with the same result. I'd say they're drop safe provided the firing pin/carrier is reasonably clean and in good working order.

That said, some companies make them "more drop safe" by making them less prone to slam firing. Examples include the already mentioned 416 series and Bulgarian AKs.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Obviously, French Berthier rifles are "drop safe."
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    It seems most people, myself included, have rifles with aftermarket triggers and commercial-type ammunition.

Ya'll feel comfortable keeping those in condition one, too?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast