Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Long-Term Effects of Shooting (Lead/Heavy Metals)

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Thoughts on Long-Term Effects of Shooting (Lead/Heavy Metals)

I've done a small amount of research on the long-term effects of shooting in regard to exposure to heavy metals. The best source I've found so far is the military, but it seems even their research is limited (probably some liability concerns). We all know what's in ammo and in any other circumstances you wouldn't willfully expose you or friends/family to the same substances. This is stuff that stays in your body forever, with the only plausible treatment basically being a form of dialysis that is incredibly expensive. I really started to consider it after my last trip to the local indoor range. It's dark and I've always felt the ventilation is terrible - and I have no idea if there's any kind of regulation of them in the state where it's located. I enjoy shooting outdoors a lot more, but we have 4 very distinct seasons, so that's not always an option. Besides, from what I've read, it doesn't decrease your exposure all that much.

To mitigate exposure, I wear exam gloves when I clean my guns and if I'm loading more than a few mags of ammo. Other than that, I'm not really sure what else there is to do, practically.

So, I'm curious, what are your thoughts on the long-term health effects of our hobby/profession? Do you guys take any steps to mitigate it?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've read that vaporized lead is the big exposure... both from poor ventilation and dry tumbling/handling dirty brass.

My concern is shooting suppressed with bullets that have exposed lead base bullets. I almost never shoot those FMJ type bullets anymore, but even the trapping of the primer residue in that gassy cloud that the suppressor creates worries me.

Cleaning guns and brass doesn't worry me. I wet tumble now, so no airborne concerns.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've read that vaporized lead is the big exposure... both from poor ventilation and dry tumbling/handling dirty brass.

My concern is shooting suppressed with bullets that have exposed lead base bullets. I almost never shoot those FMJ type bullets anymore, but even the trapping of the primer residue in that gassy cloud that the suppressor creates worries me.

Cleaning guns and brass doesn't worry me. I wet tumble now, so no airborne concerns.
    Yes, forgot to add that - I only buy Speer Lawman handgun ammo now, especially the Cleanfire if I can find it. I'm so deep on regular 5.56 that it doesn't make financial sense for that, though. I'm only buying it in 9mm and .45 as I go through the other stuff I have.

Feedback Score
    Lead exposure is why I don't like indoor ranges. I would think if you're outdoors and there's even a light breeze it shouldn't be any worry. Guns have done more damage to my bank account than anything.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have been shooting, reloading, and cleaning firearms for 35 years. About 15 years ago I began using nitrile gloves to handle bullets and to minimize my exposure to cleaning solvents. The latex gloves don't survive the harsh reality of some bore cleaners. I have also abstained from indoor ranges. The noise and byproducts of combustion found in a room that is supposedly well ventilated warrants my continued participation outdoors. I have also developed some headaches while shooting big bore rifles that produce near 120 pounds of recoil.

Exposure to lead, products of combustion, cleaning solvents, noise, jarring recoil. Yes, shooting firearms over a lifetime may be detrimental. But I can assure you that my career as a firefighter since 1995 may be worse. Take care of yourself, get regular exams, wear PPE as appropriate. Can't cheat cancer forever as life causes cancer.
    Last edited by Krazykarl; 07-10-19 at 11:02.

Feedback Score
    Heavy recoiling rifle calibers can lead to retinal detachment. I have eye issues so I was warned by an ophthalmologist years ago.

Feedback Score
    I've been considering green primers in my 223 plinking reloads, as primer gasses are #1 in lead exposure when shooting. And shooting suppressed means I breathe more of that crap.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    As far as I can tell your greatest risks of toxic metal exposure are primer dust, vaporized lead from bullet bases (or pure lead bullets), and casting lead. Shooting indoors is far worse than shooting outdoors, although really good ventilation will make it less worse. Most absorption of lead, etc. is from breathing or eating particles, not skin contact. I only shoot outdoors, and after each range session I shower and wash the clothing I wore. Shooting related stuff like a prone mat, holsters, range bag, etc. is kept out of normal living areas (garage workshop). I try not to eat or drink while shooting, but if I need to for a long competition day I minimize it, I wash my face whenever possible before eating, and again I shower ASAP.

Feedback Score
    Among the other tips mentioned, shower after shooting, and have dedicated range shoes. They are going to be absolutely covered in residues.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I guess all those years in my youth smelting lead = not such a good outlook for long life?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast