Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Hornady lock n load system

Feedback Score
    A case gauge is easier, but the cost of having a specific gauge for each cartridge is expensive. I reload for about 25 bottle necked rifle cartridges. Having one tool that will handle all of them is great. Plus, the Hornady headspace comparator is by no stretch of the imagination difficult to use.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yeah.. that makes sense for a bunch of calibers.

I'm just .223, .308, and 300 WM for the most part. So that's just 2 gauges and the chamber on the big boy for me.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have the LNL head space gauge kit it works well I believe Sinclair makes a little nicer head space kit also. I started out using a Sinclair bullet comparator just using a larger caliber hole to drop the comparator to the shoulder of the case it worked OK you can also check headspace by putting in a primer in a sized brass but leave it proud then chamber the brass this seats the primer then measure how high the primer is left sticking out of the brass this compared to the brass length should be your head space. I understand the high volume reloading I whore out many parts of my RCBS turret press and RCBS was fantastic about sending me replacement parts no complaints about them at all. I have since bought a Forster CO-AX and Redding T7 both very very nice presses. A good thing to compare when press shopping is shipping weights in the catalogs a RCBS turret and a Redding T7 turret press “look the same” the T7 weighs almost a third again more than the RCBS those shipping weights tell the real story on build quality.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If you are going to run an alloy (aluminum) press as a do all (main) press, you will have to clean the ram tunnel frequently. My recommendation would be to buy a cheap used steel press for decapping operations as the primer residue is the abraisive that wears out presses. I took MarkM's approach years ago and decap and size on steel O frame press in seperate operations to reduce the cleaning frequency of my Dillon.

I took a quick gander on Midway's site and it appears the H L&L press is available with a cast iron frame also if I'm not mistaken. For the long run, it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What did the OP end up getting?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    What did the OP end up getting?
    Nothing at this time.

Still looking at some other models. Just contemplating the LNL because I know hornady factory ammo is gtg and it has everything needed in the box.

I want to thank everyone for their feedback and openings, as they did not fall on deaf ears.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by countryboy27012 View Post
    Nothing at this time.

Still looking at some other models. Just contemplating the LNL because I know hornady factory ammo is gtg..
    Sorry, but what does Hornady factory ammo have to do with the LNL?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 223to45 View Post
    Sorry, but what does Hornady factory ammo have to do with the LNL?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Absolutely nothing, but being that they have good ammo, I would assume other items that share their name would have similar quality. That is all.

Feedback Score
    I have a Hornady LnL AP press. I like it a lot. It has performed admirably for me.

When I was in the market for a progressive about 18 months ago, I only looked at two seriously: the Hornady, and the Dillon 550B. The other offerings were either too limited in their apparent user base (e.g., RCBS), or were, in my view, lesser quality (Lee).

I concluded that both would have made me happy. What swung the decision in the favor of the Hornady was two things: Auto-index, and price.

The 550B requires you to turn the shellplate by hand each time; not so the Hornady. And the 5 stations of the Hornady allow a bit more flexibility w/r/t a separate crimp die or a lockout die.

The other thing Hornady did was offer free bullets along w/ the press. Currently, if you buy the LnLAP you receive 500 free bullets which makes them worth about $100. The net cost to me was significantly less.

The Hornady dies are also eligible for the Get Loaded offer, with 100 bullets free instead of 500.

Changeover of the Hornady is quick with the bushing system. It takes me just a couple minutes to change from small to large primers or back again.

There are lots and lots of satisfied LnLAP users; that can't be an accident. But by the same token, so too are there lots and lots of satisfied Dillon users, and that is no accident either.

It comes down to what's important to you. You won't go wrong with either.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12