Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New HK SP5K

Feedback Score

New HK SP5K

I decided to get the actual factory HK SP5K. It has been about 20 yrs since I shot an MP5 but I always wanted one, so this is the closest thing I figured! It shoots amazing and is very accurate. But, I found out the hard way they are ammo sensitive. I assumed it would cycle anything. So, I brought a box of 50 Men. ammo and 300 rds of cheap Rem. UMC. It shot the Men. perfect and grouped less than an inch at 25 yds. But it would not cycle the Rem at all. I mean double feeds every other other rd. But after doing some reading I found that the HK's need full power ammo apparently. I was a little pissed because I also brought my CZ Scorpion and it cycles anything! Do not get me wrong the HK is heads above the CZ but kind of ironic.

pics-

https://i.imgur.com/JjnwPxl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/4D6IYb1.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/q6zahKU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/z9tyEC4.jpg

Feedback Score
    I forgot- I went slightly different route on the brace. I tried some others and I did not like them. SO, I went with an adapter from HKparts, a Hera folder and Gearhead works Mod. 2. I like it so far. The down side though to be aware of is that this set up makes using the irons very hard due to the cheek weld being so high. You have to tilt your head weird to see them right. So, that stinks but I put the red dot on it anyway. But, if you wanted to use it with no sight this set up would not work well at all.

I will probably change it later to a brace from Custom Smith man.

Feedback Score
    Congrats on the new purchase!! I have a SP5K that has been sbr'd ...mine didn't function 100% until I put about 500 rounds of full power loads thru it (used Win NATO) Lube the hell out of it, break it in with full power loads, & I will lay odds it starts running like a sewing machine.

Feedback Score
    So what do you consider "full power" loads? What grain bullet and brand? I'm taking delivery on a PTR 9KT in the next few days and would like to stock up on a proper round for the break in period. BTW this is a late serial numbered PTR as the early ones had issues from what I have read.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Im very surprised it choked that bad on any ammo. My Zenith with eats steel cased crap to 147's to everything I feed it. (This is not a Zenith vs HK comment). I have the longer barrels nd wonder if the shorter system maters? My buddy has one and it eats everything. Just seems to strange. I would buy one more lot of cheap 115 grain range ammo and see how it does.

If it shitcans maybe get it checked out. Other guys on the forum know a lot more than myself, I'll be interested to see what they say.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don’t feed MP5s weak ammunition. Weak ammo in an MP5 is well known to cause malfunctions. Blazer brass case (weak) caused the prototypical double feed with crushed ejecting case and resultant toasted extractor spring in my MP5K-N. My MP5s only get fed Fiocchi, Magtech, IMI, or Ruag 115gr and 124gr FMJ or Fiocchi 158gr subs. Any NATO pressure 9x19 will do as well.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 07-11-19 at 21:29.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    So what brand/grain is a hotter load? I've carried plenty of 9mm pistols over the years, but it was strictly GI issue Lake City stuff and while on duty.
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    If the ammo break in question was directed at me...I use any 124 grain, or 147 grain pushing +P velocities...Win NATO 124 grain is my preferred range/plinking ammo..but after the break in, my particular example will run cheap 115 grain Winchester white box fodder from Wal-Mart.
    But as JoshNC noted the MP5 was never intended to run weak ammo, so mil-spec ammo or a close equivalent would function best.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My friends bought some Blazer 147's and said it was noticeable hotter than the norm. I bought some but have not shot it yet.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantee View Post
    If the ammo break in question was directed at me...I use any 124 grain, or 147 grain pushing +P velocities...Win NATO 124 grain is my preferred range/plinking ammo..but after the break in, my particular example will run cheap 115 grain Winchester white box fodder from Wal-Mart.
    But as JoshNC noted the MP5 was never intended to run weak ammo, so mil-spec ammo or a close equivalent would function best.
    Thank you, sir. Your advice is appreciated.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast