Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why Running (Still) Sucks...

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I think the only way it makes sense to do really long distance running at all is if you're training for races of that type. Almost everybody else should be doing a different type of training, IMHO.
    Yeah, I agree. Running a marathon or half-marathon needs to be looked at as VERY sport specific and not a method for general fitness. If running doesn't appeal to you, then please go do something else. You don't have to run. I'm just sick AF of non-runners bitching about running. They literally talk more about running than runners.

With the Jack Daniels running plans, I found that they have a lot of low pace easy runs. I'd much rather take a rest from running (the junk miles) and do strength training as I think this will yield a more balanced level of fitness. I fully understand the benefit to running economy in easy pace runs but there's better ways to work that it without junk miles IMO.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I think the only way it makes sense to do really long distance running at all is if you're training for races of that type. Almost everybody else should be doing a different type of training, IMHO.
    I agree. Anything past 20-25 min of running is getting into the realm of sport specific. If you want to run, then go run. If you want to play tennis, then go play tennis.

What equal in the level of nonsense to everyone having some BS notion that they should run, but if they are bad at it or incapable, trash talk running, is the idea that you need to be able to deadlift a house etc.

To do what? "Be the strongest manager at the Verizon store?" I think about Iliza Shlesinger's stand-up routine and that line every time I see people beating themselves up chasing workouts for the sake of vanity.

Feedback Score
    My first and favorite exercise was always running. It is fundamental for almost every sport outthere. Proper running and training based on it will have a multiple benefits for your condition, health and overall fitness. That is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mmyers14 View Post
    My first and favorite exercise was always running. It is fundamental for almost every sport outthere. Proper running and training based on it will have a multiple benefits for your condition, health and overall fitness. That is the best thing you can do for yourself.
    Incorrect. Strength based training does that and is foundational to everything else, including running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Incorrect. Strength based training does that and is foundational to everything else, including running.

This lacks context though. As one would achieve more and more in their chosen specific sport, be it weight lifting or running, the more and more specific the training needs to be to have the adaptations needed to be successful. Taking someone with a sub 3 hour marathon goal and trying to get them to deadlift 315lbs isn't conducive to their goals. Likewise, if someone wants to deadlift 315lbs, having them run 40 miles a week won't further them.

The primary limitation to running is aerobic, at least outside of very short distance track events. If someone wants to be a better runner, that's primarily what they need to focus on, in addition to having a lean body composition. That's not to say strength training isn't beneficial. In Eliud Kopege's special regarding the sub 2-hour marathon, he and his team in the off season did strength training. Of course as time progressed toward the contest the training got more and more specific to the goal.

The notion of shitting all over running or strength training is click bait trash for fitness bloggers without original ideas.

Feedback Score
    Jogging, like doing a mile a day at the same pace everyday just screams out to you that your body has adapted and you are really just doing maintaining that level. After a few months, you need to run uphill. Running uphill at altitude is better. Running uphill at altitude for time is even better. Running uphill at altitude for time on an empty stomach in the morning is even better. But the body always adapts, so after awhile you need a change or you will go stale and into depression.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    Jogging, like doing a mile a day at the same pace everyday just screams out to you that your body has adapted and you are really just doing maintaining that level. After a few months, you need to run uphill. Running uphill at altitude is better. Running uphill at altitude for time is even better. Running uphill at altitude for time on an empty stomach in the morning is even better. But the body always adapts, so after awhile you need a change or you will go stale and into depression.
    Do you think there is any value to this keto diet fad thing as far as improving joint health specifically for running/jogging? I've heard full-throated testimonials going both for and against.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    This lacks context though. As one would achieve more and more in their chosen specific sport, be it weight lifting or running, the more and more specific the training needs to be to have the adaptations needed to be successful. Taking someone with a sub 3 hour marathon goal and trying to get them to deadlift 315lbs isn't conducive to their goals. Likewise, if someone wants to deadlift 315lbs, having them run 40 miles a week won't further them.

The primary limitation to running is aerobic, at least outside of very short distance track events. If someone wants to be a better runner, that's primarily what they need to focus on, in addition to having a lean body composition. That's not to say strength training isn't beneficial. In Eliud Kopege's special regarding the sub 2-hour marathon, he and his team in the off season did strength training. Of course as time progressed toward the contest the training got more and more specific to the goal.

The notion of shitting all over running or strength training is click bait trash for fitness bloggers without original ideas.
    Did you even read the post I quoted? The context was readily identifiable.

Goal focused training is application and sport specific. General health and well-being for the non sport athlete is not the same thing.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Did you even read the post I quoted? The context was readily identifiable.

Goal focused training is application and sport specific. General health and well-being for the non sport athlete is not the same thing.

Its like you are trying to come off like a twat. If that's the case then well played.

Strength training is not foundational to running. The primary limitation to running capacity is not strength.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234