G&R Tactical
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Why Running (Still) Sucks...

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,623
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I generally don't agree with Will because of my disdain for any type of fitness blogger. But, I sort of agree.

    That being said, I think running needs to be looked at as a sport specific type of thing. So, if I were to tell you that figure skating is THE most beneficial activity ever, but you had zero interest in it, what good would it do to advocate that you start skating twirly shit?

    You can't have an honest conversation about running without talking definitions. What do you call a jog? What about an interval, or repeat? How about a tempo or threshold run? What I'd consider a jog, that is easy pace running in which you can have a conversation, is terrible when you consider the time vs benefit. For those runs to be beneficial, they need to be long, much longer than most people would want to. For a fit person, they are very easy to recover from. Hence, its a way to accumulate a lot of miles, a yard stick by which a lot of runners measure themselves.

    If you're a person trying to loose weight, its a terribly inefficient way of doing it. If your diet isn't dialed in, you definitely can't outjog junk calories. You also run into the problem of taking someone who is fat AF and completely sedentary and telling them to jog for whatever amount of time. They can't do it or if they can, its too hard to be sustainable. Weight training is much more incrementally loadable.

    The problem with intervals or repeats is that most people don't do them hard enough to be beneficial. An interval is slower with a relatively short jog recovery, a repeat is faster generally with a walk recovery of sufficient duration to enable the next repeat to be preformed at the target pace.

    I strongly caution about walking , just because I've observed way too many horrible incline treadmill walkers. The ones where they hold onto the machine and lean back to they're perpendicular the treadmill's belt, and thereby no longer walking at an incline. Pure hot trash. A close tie to the stair machine people who are all melted over and leaning onto the machine. If you can't walk those stairs with your arms at your side, go do something else.

    Bottom line, if running doesn't appeal to you, don't do it. There's other stuff you may enjoy. If you like running, don't let people talk you out of your chosen activity. They're likely not runners anyway.

    Of all the running plans I have come across, Run Less Run Faster is my favorite. The workouts are hard, but there's much less of them. There's less junk miles.

    The Army seems to be moving in the direction of RLRF as well. The exercises to improve the 2-mile run for time are intervals, hill repeats and what could be considered a temp run; that is running at a pace you could maintain for an hour during a race; comfortably hard running. That particular pace has a lower physical benefit that the other two in my experience, but has a mental toughness aspect to it. No running on consecutive days either. The recovery time in the Army's new doctrine and RLRF was one of my biggest likes, being 41 years old now.
    Last edited by bp7178; 07-13-19 at 01:05.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Posts
    150
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    If you're medically cleared for such things, a few sessions per week of HIIT or SIT would likely be of considerable benefits.
    I am cleared for anything, it's the motivation that is lacking.
    I started lifting because of a back problem. I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 that was causing leg pain and numbness and was told the only solution was fusion of L4/L5. I declined surgery and began lifting, 4 weeks after beginning weighted squats my leg pain and numbness went away and has never returned.
    Last edited by P2Vaircrewman; 07-13-19 at 09:38.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,020
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by P2Vaircrewman View Post
    I am cleared for anything, it's the motivation that is lacking.
    I started lifting because of a back problem. I was diagnosed with spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 that was causing leg pain and numbness and was told the only solution was fusion of L4/L5. I declined surgery and began lifting, 4 weeks after beginning weighted squats my leg pain and numbness went away and has never returned.
    Then you may want to consider something like:

    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...d-Guy-Workout-)
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,645
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bp7178 View Post
    Of all the running plans I have come across, Run Less Run Faster is my favorite. The workouts are hard, but there's much less of them. There's less junk miles.
    I hadn't heard of this, but it seems reasonable. It's not exactly the same thing as HIIT, but, really it's consistent with the same core idea: you get stronger/faster/fitter/etc. NOT by doing something where you just grind away for a long time at the same pace. You improve by PUSHING yourself and using your muscles in shorter, harder bursts. And the RLRF sounds like a way to do that for folks who CAN run. I think the only way it makes sense to do really long distance running at all is if you're training for races of that type. Almost everybody else should be doing a different type of training, IMHO.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,020
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    I hadn't heard of this, but it seems reasonable. It's not exactly the same thing as HIIT, but, really it's consistent with the same core idea: you get stronger/faster/fitter/etc. NOT by doing something where you just grind away for a long time at the same pace. You improve by PUSHING yourself and using your muscles in shorter, harder bursts. And the RLRF sounds like a way to do that for folks who CAN run. I think the only way it makes sense to do really long distance running at all is if you're training for races of that type. Almost everybody else should be doing a different type of training, IMHO.
    And even then, varying the distances and intensities, as well as adding some RT, gets the best results in performance for them. Long distance types are often more psychologically driven than science or logic driven in my experience. Also, long distance runners the most injured and immune suppressed athletes I ever worked with, often with the T levels of a 12 year old girl. Often very neurotic to put it mildly. Some claim the "runners high" as addictive as anything else known to be addictive, and like any addiction, often done to the point of decreased health and performance.

    Exercise addiction is not specific to running to be sure, but it does seem the most common among runners compared to others. Seen plenty of gym addicts too.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,645
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    And even then, varying the distances and intensities, as well as adding some RT, gets the best results in performance for them.
    What's odd is, some sports have known this for a long time. For instance in high school track team I ran 400, 800, mile. For these what you'd loosely call 'middle distance' runners where you needed stamina AND speed, we trained exactly like that. And this was, oh, quite a few years ago. But it seems like this has not been widely understood among all distance runners, especially LD ones.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    14,020
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
    What's odd is, some sports have known this for a long time. For instance in high school track team I ran 400, 800, mile. For these what you'd loosely call 'middle distance' runners where you needed stamina AND speed, we trained exactly like that. And this was, oh, quite a few years ago. But it seems like this has not been widely understood among all distance runners, especially LD ones.
    Some of the reasons are not that they're not aware per se per comments above.
    - Will

    General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

    www.BrinkZone.com

    Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

    www.OptimalSWAT.com


    “Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    17
    Feedback Score
    0
    At this years physical the doctor said if I keep jogging I'll need knee replacements in about 5 years. If I substitute a brisk walking pace most of the benefits of jogging will be realized and stretch the knees out to 7-10 more years. Longer by going to riding a bike.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Posts
    150
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have to say that after literally thousands of miles running over my 75 years my knees and hips are fine, other parts not so much.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,623
    Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JDH1 View Post
    At this years physical the doctor said if I keep jogging I'll need knee replacements in about 5 years. If I substitute a brisk walking pace most of the benefits of jogging will be realized and stretch the knees out to 7-10 more years. Longer by going to riding a bike.
    So "doctors" give advice on the premise that what is less likely to be harmful to the majority of people. The majority of men in this country can't bench 135lbs...for a single. They can't run a mile, at any pace, to save their life. The average person isn't in the gym...at all. They don't work out. They don't run.

    This is the same medical establishment that told you to stay away from fat and cholesterol and all the while sugar was the real poison.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •