Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best spring/buffer combo for a Magpul UBR?

Feedback Score

Best spring/buffer combo for a Magpul UBR?

I've finally spec'd out my 'the british are coming' build and sent my upper parts to a gunsmith (decided I didn't trust my northern freight drill press with a $400 barrel so I sent the upper to the best gunsmith in the state). For the life of me, deciding which stock to go with has been the single hardest choice for my build. I wanted to go with a normal A4 fixed stock but the colt stock w/ metal buttplate is way more money than it should be for what it is, and all the non-colts I've seen on the market are not of the sort of quality I would put on my "Git sum" rifle, hell even the colt a4 stock is barely what I was looking for. So, after a long and fairly retarded process I've begrudgingly decided that the Magpul UBR gen 2 is the best choice. I dont fancy magpul at all but the ubr hits all the ticks, especially compared to everything else, on things that I'm looking for such as length of pull and rear weight (this rifle is going to be very front heavy when its assembled)

What I need help with now is, what spring/buffer combo should I go with for it? I will be running the UBR on a 20" hbar / rifle length gas system. I've been perusing various forum posts and youtube videos and the advice that I am seeing is all over the place ranging from "go with a green spring h2 setup" to "a green spring is going to cause cycling issues, go with a colt spring". And, frankly, ever since A5 buffer systems became a thing I find the whole topic of buffers to be mind-numbing. Searching for gun part advice online makes me wish the internet were never invented with how all over the place advice is..

So here I am, what would be the literal BEST "cost is not a factor" spring/buffer combo, to run on a 20" hbar, rifle length gas system, with Magpuls proprietary UBR gen 2 buffer extension, to ensure maximum reliability?

Thanks

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    The UBR 2 with spacer removed fits the rifle spring with A5 buffer, so that seems like the perfect arrangement if you don’t want to use a standard fixed stock.
    I’ll go out on a limb and say the A5H2 buffer is your starting and probably end point.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I use a Colt rifle spring and A5H2 with my UBR 2 and wouldn’t change a thing. I’m shooting 77 gr SMK’s at 2750- recoil impulse is smooth and gas is minimal

ETA: 16” barrel with mid-length gas
    Last edited by gunnerblue; 07-12-19 at 21:15. Reason: More info

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    deleted
    Last edited by mrbieler; 07-12-19 at 22:34.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    The UBR 2 with spacer removed fits the rifle spring with A5 buffer, so that seems like the perfect arrangement if you don’t want to use a standard fixed stock.
    I’ll go out on a limb and say the A5H2 buffer is your starting and probably end point.
    Thanks for the input

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I use a Colt rifle spring and A5H2 with my UBR 2 and wouldn’t change a thing. I’m shooting 77 gr SMK’s at 2750- recoil impulse is smooth and gas is minimal

ETA: 16” barrel with mid-length gas
    Have you ever used it on a 20" upper? I've read that it would be fine with a 20" upper for precision shooting but might run into cycling issues with rapid shots/double taps.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docdubz View Post
    Have you ever used it on a 20" upper? I've read that it would be fine with a 20" upper for precision shooting but might run into cycling issues with rapid shots/double taps.
    Ive ran a 20”
    The action ran smooth without any hiccups at all.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Vltor A5H2 and spring
    Quote Originally Posted by docdubz View Post
    So here I am, what would be the literal BEST "cost is not a factor" spring/buffer combo, to run on a 20" hbar, rifle length gas system, with Magpuls proprietary UBR gen 2 buffer extension, to ensure maximum reliability?

Thanks
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Definitely go with the rifle spring and A5 buffer on the UBR 2.0, I prefer the Sprinco "Green" to go with it.

The combo of rifle spring and A5 buffer was specifically designed for a 20" upper. I've been running it that way for a couple years now through training and competition, and it's my favorite rifle to shoot. It's certainly a little heavier than my pencil-barreled uppers (also running Sprinco greens and A5 buffers), but it's just so smooth.

BCM 20" Government upper and UBR 2.0

"Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the help guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast