Thread: 1911 thumb safeties: Replacing a TRP's ambi safety.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

1911 thumb safeties: Replacing a TRP's ambi safety.

Looking at buying (and fitting) a single-side thumb safety for my (black) TRP to replace the factory ambi-safety.

I'd like something that will match the finish of the pistol.

I'm looking most closely at the Harrison retro and the Wilson Combat Bullet Proof retro.

Does anybody have any experience and/or thoughts about them or others? Thanks!
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I've used both the Harrison and Wilson BP parts.
    The Harrison TS locates the the thumb "ledge" lower than the standard part, it is probably more ergonomic this way, requiring less strain on your thumb joint if you shoot "hi-thumbs" as God and JMB intended. ( :

Harrison gets the nod for "finish", but that is purely subjective- both are very good parts.

I can't speak to either matching the finish of your pistol.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Love the Harrison thumb safety. Here are a couple of pictures of it on my old Springfield 9mm:

I like the slightly lowered thumb lever, like gaijin said, less stress on your thumb when you shoot with your thumb on the safety. The Springfield Range Officer's finish was parkerized so it was not as dark as the safety but the color was close enough, I don't care about cosmetics, the function was what I was after.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I got the Wilson Combat safety.

Took a little bit of filing to properly clear the sear (maybe a dozen swipes).

Finish doesn't match the rest of the pistol, but oh well.

The window into the frame isn't completely covered by the safety, though.

Guess I'll have to get the Harrison part.

ETA: Did some digging. Found posts on the interweb that this isn’t unusual. Whipped out my Vickers Guide and found at least five high-end hand built customs from the likes of Burton, Vickers, Heinie, and Swenson that are as bad or worse. So I guess I’m making a mountain of a mole hill.

Still want to get a commander style hammer to complete the retro-ish ness. Which might necessitate a new thumb safety anyway.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 07-25-19 at 00:58.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    A thumb safety that completely covers the frame window is the exception, gaps are probably the rule.

Consider the Harrison Commander hammer/sear set when/if you replace existing.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)

So the Harrison leaves no hole.

It also took most of the two-and-a-half hours it took me to fit and assemble of all the Harrison parts that I bought (hammer, sear, disconnector, hammer strut, thumb safety, slide lock). The thumb safety took lots and lots of filing.

The trigger went in pretty easily - maybe a little more fitting involved than with the 10-8 that I had in it. The sear, disconnector, and hammer all went in easily enough (once I got the hammer strut pin in, which was a pain).

I probably need to fit the slide lock a little bit, as I'm not 100% certain that it is functioning properly.

And the grip safety needed to be modified to play with the hammer. Which I did in an ugly manner, but oh well. It fits and it functions and fitting a new grip safety is not something I'm sure I want to do.

I do have to say that the Harrison parts look gorgeous and are a close-enough match to the TRP that I don't mind them not entirely matching.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 07-29-19 at 17:07.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Looks good. Well done.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I bought a SS TRP from a guy that XX rounds only to figure out the guy before him put a Wilson in, I like it. But I think it is still ambi.

PS, the gun was still in great shape as most guys don't shoot their guns that much. A used TRP for $1K is usually GTG.

Gaijin check email

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"