Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: With no LandCruiser 70, or Defender 90/110 in America, what

Feedback Score
    I love the 4Runner. Even two years ago I was sick of waiting for an update.

Toyota/Lexus, in the GX has proven you can get 15 city, 19 highway, 16 combined with a 300hp/320 tq full time 4WD vehicle that weighs 5200 pounds.

Yet in the 4200 pound 4Runner we are stuck with 17/20/18 at 270/278 hp/tq.

In the LC or LX we get 380hp/400 torques with full time AWD in a 6000 pound vehicle at 13 city/18 hw/ 15 combined.

In a trail rated Grand Cherokee weighing 4500 pounds with full time AWD and a true 4L- and a true SUV in line drive train- despite being unibody instead of frame on, as capable as any of the above before modifications,
    You get 295hp, 260 ft lbs with 18/25/21 mpg or 360/390 at 14/22/17.
    And there are more powerful options,

Toyota needs better mpg in a base 4Runner and it needs a stronger option.

Jeep has been selling about 200k grand Cherokees a year.
    They have been selling about 200k Wranglers a year.

Toyota had been selling less than 50k 4Runners a year. They gained most of the former XTerra and FJ Cruiser buying market when those ended, and the current reinterest in outdoorsy overlandy stuff has helped them get up around 120k unit’s a year over the past five years.

They need to update the 4Runner base drivetrain.
    They need an upgraded option- probably the GX drivetrain would be easiest to do.

If I was god emperor of Toyota I would look hard at the poorly selling LC and Seqouia.
    I would probably look at the 4Runner platform, tell the engineers to get the GX drivetrain in it.

I would also tell them to give me an LC70 Wagon / troop carrier looking set of body panels for the 4Runner, with door panels and a roof panel removable in Wrangler fashion.
    Drop the sequoia and LC,
    And bring that on as the Toyota Land Cruiser Classic.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score

Toyota/Lexus, in the GX has proven you can get 15 city, 19 highway, 16 combined with a 300hp/320 tq full time 4WD vehicle that weighs 5200 pounds.

In the LC or LX we get 380hp/400 torques with full time AWD in a 6000 pound vehicle at 13 city/18 hw/ 15 combined.

In a trail rated Grand Cherokee weighing 4500 pounds with full time AWD and a true 4L- and a true SUV in line drive train- despite being unibody instead of frame on, as capable as any of the above before modifications,

Toyota had been selling less than 50k 4Runners a year. They gained most of the former XTerra and FJ Cruiser buying market when those ended, and the current reinterest in outdoorsy overlandy stuff has helped them get up around 120k unit’s a year over the past five years.

They need an upgraded option- probably the GX drivetrain would be easiest to do.

If I was god emperor of Toyota I would look hard at the poorly selling LC and Seqouia.
    I would probably look at the 4Runner platform, tell the engineers to get the GX drivetrain in it.

I would also tell them to give me an LC70 Wagon / troop carrier looking set of body panels for the 4Runner, with door panels and a roof panel removable in Wrangler fashion.
    Drop the sequoia and LC,

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Statham's reaction to the Lexus in this Audi Super Bowl ad pretty much sums up how I feel about every Lexus. I'm a fan of Toyota but see Lexus for people who are clueless about cars especially luxury vehicles.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by themonk View Post
    Statham's reaction to the Lexus in this Audi Super Bowl ad pretty much sums up how I feel about every Lexus. I'm a fan of Toyota but see Lexus for people who are clueless about cars especially luxury vehicles.

I'll take that old Lexus over any new German car. Or any German car in the last 20 years

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post

Drop the sequoia and LC,
    Easy button for the 4Runner is just bring the Land Cruiser Prado (which is a GX) with that drivetrain and call it the 4Runner. Do it when the LC Prado gets an update (push it up!) and then Toyota can enjoy economies of scale by having the Prado service all markets including NA. Hell just call it the Land Cruiser Prado for all I care. Make sure it can be had with the AWD Torsen center and a rear locker at a minimum, offer the 4.6L V8 as an option, maybe slap DI on it to up power and mileage, put an 8 or 10 speed behind it. Offer a few trim levels so a guy can get the mechanicals he wants in the budget he can afford. If sales prove successful offer a diesel variant in the 270-300hp/460-500lb-ft range, this engine should also be optional in Tundras, Sequoias and the luxury big Land Cruiser.

Toyota will of course not do any of that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    See I don't want an updated 4Runner. It's the 6920 of the SUV world and that's exactly why I like it. I would not buy another one if they updated everything to make it like every other soul less unibody crossover on the road.

4Runners have always been weird archaic dinosaurs and that's exactly why people buy them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Have a Range Rover-blown 5.0-and been looking around. Considered the Jeep Trackhawk -707hp- but couldn't justify price tag(92K) on a Jeep.

Just(hr. ago) brought home Range Rover -blown 5.0, 510hp. -and really like it. Good trade-in value on old Rover so went with it.

That Trackhawk is a NASTY MF'er; though. 3.5sec. 0-60 and top of 185.

Now need to figure out how to mount HK 21E out of one of sunroofs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post

Drop the sequoia and LC,
    Be careful what you wish for. They could decide to bring over the 3rd gen Tacoma drivetrain, the 2gr-fks 3.5L v6 with a 6 speed auto. That engine is terrible in a truck. It makes no low end torque, you have to rev up to 4K to get ANYTHING from it, which of course kills the mpgs even further. It’s only saving grace is that it’s in lots of their vehicles and is proven Toyota reliable

Feedback Score
    When I say update the 4Runner I mean same or improved power with same or better mpg. Not make it curvy useless CUV clone.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mom bought it new in ‘02, I picked it up this year after 106k commuter miles. Replaced exhaust from the cats back, plugs, wires, and battery. Motor and trans work well together but I really wish it had a TD. The 4L makes up for it on the trail though.

Really hoping it lasts for a while cause I don’t want to have to deal with importing a 70 series....

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast