Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: With no LandCruiser 70, or Defender 90/110 in America, what

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lowprone View Post
    That GLADIATOR w/a diesel would probably be $60K ********Insane !!!
    They will sell tons to mall cruisers in San Jose ect,ect.
    Not for me and probably not thee.
    It depends.
    I must get to work no matter the weather.
    I have come to prefer a good AWD over FWD or RWD with 4WD option.
    I strongly prefer new for my primary car and tend to hand off or trade in by 125k.
    I do want true off road capability and true low 4WD.
    Whether I am getting a stuck tractor out of one of the pastures, a Gator off one of the trails, or exploring some trails.

I prefer basic priced vehicles over luxury equipped. I don’t need the extra super nav system with super stereo. I don’t want leather with a muddy mal, etc. I am not really interested in a new US LandCruiser or Lexus version of the Prado. Especially with the new Lexus grille.

While I am prejudiced towards frame on, I have to admit the old XJ Cherokees and current trail rated Jeep Grand Cherokees have proven to me a unibody can have some hardcore off-road chops.

I am very prejudiced towards the more old school look in an SUV. The current Jeep GC or Toyota 4Runner are meh to me.

I also hate hatchbacks. I also hate spares taking up interior room or on the underbody.

The Toyota FJ was close to what I wanted, but a tiny tank for horrible MPG range, cartoonish roof, etc.
    H
    I do not need a massive full sized excursion, suburban, etc.

It would be nice to just walk in to a car lot and find an old school looking AWD with true low 4, door, exterior mounted spare, without a thousand extra pounds of leather, speakers, etc.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Several put more than 100k on, one 200k.

For a 20 year old lex I expect around 150k miles, or less, and I wouldn't be surprised if it got another 150k without much issues. Of course that's not common but not hard to find. And there there's the occasional one that was barely driven. Guy at work just picked up a 1988 Lexus LS400 with 22k. Drives great but needs the sunroof repaired/replaced. I think he said he paid $7k

HP I'm not really concerned about. MPG.... higher is nice but if its in the same range as my 4Runner now I'm ok with that. I get anywhere from 18.5 to 20mpg avg depending on if I use my AC and how I accelerate

You are showing me pictures of shit off the internet.

I am currently keeping 4 classic cars going.

The number of things that pop up to keep addressing is like playing whack a mole.

I am not going to be daily driving a 20 year old 200k Lexus sedan.

Plus we are talking about about brand new options for old school type SUVs.

Until about five years ago I was getting to drive these type of SUVs and trucks not in the US market.

There are some awesome old school styles with updated drivetrains and diesel options that are sweet elsewhere.

I am not talking about the beater for use around the farm or the hunting camp.

Modern drivetrain, diesel option, new reliability daily driver with modern AWD, that can become an off road beast.
    Extra cup holders, third row seating, etc. not a priority.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    You are showing me pictures of shit off the internet.

I am currently keeping 4 classic cars going.

The number of things that pop up to keep addressing is like playing whack a mole.

I am not going to be daily driving a 20 year old 200k Lexus sedan.

Plus we are talking about about brand new options for old school type SUVs.

Until about five years ago I was getting to drive these type of SUVs and trucks not in the US market.

There are some awesome old school styles with updated drivetrains and diesel options that are sweet elsewhere.

I am not talking about the beater for use around the farm or the hunting camp.

Modern drivetrain, diesel option, new reliability daily driver with modern AWD, that can become an off road beast.
    Extra cup holders, third row seating, etc. not a priority.
    Either I'm misunderstanding what you mean or......

My point was that low mileage, relatively speaking, for the year are out there.

All the daily drivers I've had with 150-300k miles had all of two or three things that popped up. A hose here a thermostat there. Those we're all the problems I've ever had. Everything else that was changed was changed as regular maintenance. The only time my car has seen a tow truck was when I smashed the Camaro SS. The Solara with almost 300k was 13 years old. The only reason I sold it was the Corolla came up with low mileage at a good price. It was either take it now or stumble upon something else eventually. Otherwise it ran great with little maintenance

Modern drive trains don't do anything for me. Like I wouldn't know the difference to appreciate it. I get in, turn it on and drive. Diesel...take it or leave it. AWD is ok, I'd prefer real 4x4. We had this conversation before and I dropped it because we were off topic but I was still confused as to how AWD was much better

Also, I can't think of any AWD that had a true low. Not saying they're not out there just don't remember ever seeing one.
    Last edited by Arik; 07-14-19 at 20:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2000 Toyota Landcruiser with 190k miles here. Current landcruiser is ugly. Also 2007 6cyl 4-runner with 185k miles.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 07-14-19 at 21:59.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I am on my second 4runner. Great vehicle.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Are they diesel? Nope.
    Nope, no diesel found. Frankly the Diesel engine option on most passenger vehicles is on the way out, the EPA killed them. I predict Toyota will never offer a Diesel engine on a North American market vehicle. Particularly since the only candidates where one would make sense sell in low volumes making certification impractical.

That is taking into account only emissions testing. Once the affects of all the emissions gear added to the engine and the extra cost, complexity, and reduced long term reliability should be considered.

The juice is more not worth the squeeze most of the time where EPA compliant diesels are concerned.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Nope, no diesel found. Frankly the Diesel engine option on most passenger vehicles is on the way out, the EPA killed them. I predict Toyota will never offer a Diesel engine on a North American market vehicle. Particularly since the only candidates where one would make sense sell in low volumes making certification impractical.

That is taking into account only emissions testing. Once the affects of all the emissions gear added to the engine and the extra cost, complexity, and reduced long term reliability should be considered.

The juice is more not worth the squeeze most of the time where EPA compliant diesels are concerned.
    I know. That was my point. Toyota doesn't sell their diesel engines here. But others do.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    Meh. Diesels are vastly overrated, and overpriced for what they offer.

Given the ability of a direct injected and turbocharged gasoline engine to offer identical torque at identical engine speeds as a diesel, the diesel doesn’t make a good case for itself.

Factor in the DI turbo gasoline engine will likely be cheaper and more reliable as it’s not saddled with a DPF, and DEF; and the diesel argument becomes even weaker.

Then consider the raw horsepower advantage the DI turbo gas engine provides at engine speeds the diesel cannot match, and I see no point in the diesel at all unless it’s cheaper.

Since diesels are always more expensive, and diesel fuel is more expensive the money saving argument falls flat.

Keep in mind I utilize diesel engines every day at work, albeit very large ones in comparison to an automotive application. Of all the complex systems on a locomotive outside of electronics, the most common point of failure is invariably the diesel prime mover.

I would rather see the next 4Runner get a DI and turbocharged V6 or I6 gasoline engine, and maybe even an electric motor or two than a diesel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not to mention that Mazda has found a solution to the HCCI (homogenous charge compression ignition) engine calling it the SkyActive-X. That tech will eventually make it to the 4x4market since it makes 10%-30% more torque and gas mileage is 35%-45% better in lean burn mode (better than diesel).

Feedback Score
    I'm getting a 1990 Defender D110 imported from Holland rebuilt. Hopefully it will be finished by the end of summer.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast