Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: With no LandCruiser 70, or Defender 90/110 in America, what

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So what's out there now with AWD and L4?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    I figured I'd contribute to this thread with a vehicle I have totally enjoyed. This is a 1994 Land Rover Discovery 1, built in March 1994 and purchased by me in June 1994. I am the original owner and it currently has 277,400 miles on it. It is a rare 5 speed, and in 1994 only 5500 Discovery 1's came into the US, and only 200 were 5 speeds. I have not seen any Discovery 1's with the manual trans in subsequent years. I replaced the first clutch at 110,000 miles and I am still on that replaced clutch. The cruise control went out a long time ago and I replaced the Pioneer Radio with a Kenwood Stereo with bluetooth. Other improvements were a 1.75 inch Old Man Emu Lift, ARB front bumper with Warn 8000 winch, Hella Lights and Wolf NATO Steel Wheels and BFG 10 ply 255/75/16 tires.

Some of you may know that the 3.9 liter, 241 cubic inch V8 was a GM design and in the 1964 Buick Skylark. The 182 horsepower engine has a lot of torq, but is not suited to fast starts. I am guessing the 241 cubic inch aluminium block V8 is the smallest production V8 ever produced, but I may be wrong. GM used to have a 260 in the 1979 Olds Cutlass.

This vehicle has been a back-up "luxury" grocery-getter for the ranch. I bought this as a promotion present when I reached O-4 in 1994. When I promoted to O-3, I bought a Colt AR15-A2 HBAR:

I have to admit there is a guy locally in a crunch for crash with a great price on an ‘03 with 120k on it.

All power windows, sun roofs, cassette and CDs, third row jump seat, leather, etc.

Kind of the opposite of a bare bones one.

And of course automatic.

You can get ven the range rovers that old for a similar price,
    But I like the taller storage of the discovery.

Again, these tend to run a tenth or less than the price of the similar era Defender.

I’m not sure if I am up for leaking headlights, blown head gaskets, failed dash lights, and the usual Land Rover hijinks, but it would be fun.

I have recently seen enough photos of the upcoming Defender to know it’s not going to do it for me.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    I was driving around on Saturday and someone had a Defender 110, I think, set up with the side benches in back. Bunch of kids riding around in it. I was behind it and it pulled into a park and I followed, but they were just cutting through and didn't stop. It was a really nice one, well restored. Everything shined. Couldn't see any badges on it to see whose work it was, but it had FLA plates. FLA-to-CO in a soft-top that slow doesn't sound like fun.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Bollinger B2 Electric

...will be in production next year.

Feedback Score
    The new Defender pictures have leaked (from the set of the new Bond film). I am prepared to be underwhelmed.

https___api.thedrive.com_wp-content_uploads_2019_08_Leaked-2020-Land-Rover-Defender-Bond-Film-Se.jpg

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    The new Defender pictures have leaked (from the set of the new Bond film). I am prepared to be underwhelmed.

https___api.thedrive.com_wp-content_uploads_2019_08_Leaked-2020-Land-Rover-Defender-Bond-Film-Se.jpg
    Wow... a souped up Scion BOX.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Great a vehicle with all of the build quality of a Land Rover, with all of the personality and capability of a crossover.

Basically it’s a really expensive Trabant.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Great a vehicle with all of the build quality of a Land Rover, with all of the personality and capability of a crossover.

Basically it’s a really expensive Trabant.

Hey now! Those have character!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Great info in this thread. Look to be getting a new Tacoma when they release the 2020. Has more capability than what I will use it for.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    I am still steadfast in my opinion that there is a serious market for a frame on SUV, true in line drive train,

With a sophisticated AWD full time system like a trail rated Jeep Grand Cherokee,

With a true low 4WD option,

That has the classic boxy shape. You lose a ton of your cargo space with the soccer mom sloped down rear roof. Not having a flat roof also screws up your rack option.

With 20/25 type MPG gas drivetrain, or better diesel.

With a side opening read door with rear mounted spare. Hatch backs are for soccer moms. Under body, under floor or other position cargo space eats a ton on interior storage.

With typical Japanese reliability. But updated drivetrain.

The current 4Runner drivetrain is pretty dated.

The next generation update,
    If they would put a LC 70 looking body on it would be a huge sales win in America.

If Nissan ever updated the Frontier drivetrain, they could probably put a 4th or 5th gen Patrol looking body on and
    Garner some great sales. Not updating the drivetrain is what killed the XTerra.

I am,
    Less than enthused with the look of the new Defender.

The “updated” look of SUVs with the slope rear, hatchback, etc. kills me.
    Just like the updates geille of the GX killed me.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast