Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: With no LandCruiser 70, or Defender 90/110 in America, what

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have an ‘07 FJC with 280+K.
    It’s been beat to crap at the ranch, but was purchased to my specs (posi-trak, true 4 WD), has a security box in back.
    I’ve replaced tires, batteries, windshield and starter.
    Have no plans on getting rid of it.

Would love to have something like a new FJ40 though.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    This was my choice. I'd love a 40 but I have a wife and 4 kids. I compromised on the IFS instead of an 80 but it's awesome so far. 195k. Runs like a top. I have big plans for it. It has surprised me off road in spite of the front end limitations.

Attachment 58041

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Well I've only ever owned one new car. A lease back in 2005. Since 1997 every car I've owned (except the lease) has been used and all but one of the used with close to 100k. Aside from occasional maintenance I've never had ANY problems. A radiator change, new axle, thermostats, top cover gaskets, occasional hose here and there. That's about it. My second to last car went to almost 300k without mechanical issues. A radiator at 220, several thermostats and top cover gaskets. Of course preventive maintenance like timing belts and water pumps.

My first in 97. 94 Eagle Talon 1.8 auto with around 80k. Had it senior year of high school. Don't remember mileage when sold.

In 1999. 94 Camaro 3.4 auto. Bought with 97k sold with 179k. One radiator hose.

2000. 88 Bronco II. 2.9 auto. Bought with 80k, sold with under a 100k. No issues.
    Camaro and Bronco were owned at the same time.

2001. 99 Camaro SS 5.7 auto Virginia State police surplus car. Bought with 95k crashed 6 months later. No issues.

2001. 99 Nissan Altima 2.4 auto. Bought with 55k, sold with 110k. No issues

2004. 98 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.9 auto. Bought with 170k, sold with 190 something. Changed one water pump one turn signal/light stalk.

2005. New lease Altima 2.5 auto.

2007. 99 Toyota Solara 2.4 auto. Bought with 81k, sold with 293k. One radiator, 2 thermostats, one radiator hose, 3 top cover gaskets and preventive maintenance of 3 water pumps and timing belts every 100k. All this from 2007 to 2014.

2014. 2010 Corolla 1.8 auto 29k. Currently 135k no issues. Current car

2018. 07 4Runner 4.0 auto. Bought with 109k current 118k. Replaced both front axles, front right hub, radiator. Current car.

None of this of course counts typical maintenance of oil, breaks, battery...etc..

Now, for new cars but I had no major problems with used. However the amount of fairly new cars I see in the shop with major problems.... everything from electrical to engine swaps at 50k is mind boggling.

I'll gladly buy a late 90s Lexus over anything made in the last 7 years
    You are describing vehicles for the most part that were obtained about five years old and you put 20k on them.

Go ahead and buy a 20 plus year old Lexus with how many miles you think you are going to find one with.
    Vs buying a new 4Runner and let’s see how things go over the next ten years/100k plus miles.

I currently have four classic vehicles in running condition,
    Two 100k plus ten year old Acuras MDXs handed down to some of the kids,
    A four five year or less old daily drivers/towing/fun cars.

I have had 1980s US HiLux from 90-94,
    94 4 runner from 94-2005,
    04 XTerra from 05-09,
    98 Expedition from 98-04,
    04 Expedition from 04-09,
    08 Challenger 08-16,
    Etc.

I do get not liking all the electronics on a current brand new car,
    But even a new Jeep, probably one of the lower ranked reliability brands, let alone a new 4Runner-
    Is going to knock out ten years 100k plus miles like nothing -
    Vs getting a 99 4Runner, 98 Lexus or something now.

Plus-
    The hp/tq available now at lower MPG is pretty impressive.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    That GLADIATOR w/a diesel would probably be $60K ********Insane !!!
    They will sell tons to mall cruisers in San Jose ect,ect.
    Not for me and probably not thee.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    You are describing vehicles for the most part that were obtained about five years old and you put 20k on them.

Go ahead and buy a 20 plus year old Lexus with how many miles you think you are going to find one with.
    Vs buying a new 4Runner and let’s see how things go over the next ten years/100k plus miles.

I currently have four classic vehicles in running condition,
    Two 100k plus ten year old Acuras MDXs handed down to some of the kids,
    A four five year or less old daily drivers/towing/fun cars.

I have had 1980s US HiLux from 90-94,
    94 4 runner from 94-2005,
    04 XTerra from 05-09,
    98 Expedition from 98-04,
    04 Expedition from 04-09,
    08 Challenger 08-16,
    Etc.

I do get not liking all the electronics on a current brand new car,
    But even a new Jeep, probably one of the lower ranked reliability brands, let alone a new 4Runner-
    Is going to knock out ten years 100k plus miles like nothing -
    Vs getting a 99 4Runner, 98 Lexus or something now.

Plus-
    The hp/tq available now at lower MPG is pretty impressive.
    Several put more than 100k on, one 200k.

For a 20 year old lex I expect around 150k miles, or less, and I wouldn't be surprised if it got another 150k without much issues. Of course that's not common but not hard to find. And there there's the occasional one that was barely driven. Guy at work just picked up a 1988 Lexus LS400 with 22k. Drives great but needs the sunroof repaired/replaced. I think he said he paid $7k

HP I'm not really concerned about. MPG.... higher is nice but if its in the same range as my 4Runner now I'm ok with that. I get anywhere from 18.5 to 20mpg avg depending on if I use my AC and how I accelerate

Last edited by Arik; 07-14-19 at 17:14.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Dude the 5th Gen 4Runners are pretty legit my guy

Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    upcoming SUVs have you interested.

The days of every company have a true SUV or two are decades gone.
    (Frame on, in-line RWD based drivetrain with true low 4WD)

Even unibody SUVs like the old Cherokee, are few and far between and you have to option a Grand Cherokee just right to have the true low 4WD.

Most are CUV vehicles.
    (Unibody, FWD based transverse drivetrains with no true low 4WD)

Many of the SUV mimicking points on CUVs like true rear does, externally mounted spares, etc. are long gone. Many true frame on or unibody SUVs don’t even have them in favor of soccer mom type features.

Plus, with some of the very sophisticated AWD systems, at times it seems like AWD, in combination with true off road ability and low 4WD is a fantastic overall set up, vs the classic RWD/4WD set up.

Many of the old SUVs are now CUVs with a legacy name.

Few AWD SUVs are here, and typically expensive like a LandCruiser or Lexus.

Are the upcoming Bronco, new Defender, or expected next generation 4Runner raising any hopes?

I kind of hope they will make a Diesel Gladiator like this with rear door and spare.

Oddly enough,
    I would be cool with a trail rated Grand Cherokee with the same body style.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a 96 Tacoma in damn near mint condition for the Shooting & hunting truck. I bought my son a 2007 Forerunner and put Oldmanamu shocks etc. leveled it, it’s pretty nice. The older Toyota’s are awesome if you can get a deal on them.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    In my stable of vehicles, I have a white 1994 Land Rover Discovery 1 base model with a 5 Speed. Only 5500 5 speeds made it into the US and this is one of them. It has a Buick designed 3.9 Liter aluminium block V8 (originally in the 1964 Buick Skylark). I have a Warn winch and ARB bumper on the front with Hella lights. This vehicle has a box ladder frame and is solid. Replaced the aluminium wheels with British Military Wolf wheels and running 10 ply BFG 255/75/16 tires. Over 270,000 miles with this Landy.

Great vehicle but the Lucas electronics were always crap.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is what I meant by imports. I think I posted this before but either way here's a mid 90s Mitsubishi at my work (same property). It's a civilian version of the Japanese military "jeep". Has a 4cyl diesel that shares majority of parts with the NPR box truck and has 20k miles. All Japanese imports I've seen are older an none over 35k miles.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Dude the 5th Gen 4Runners are pretty legit my guy

Are they diesel? Nope.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast