Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: With no LandCruiser 70, or Defender 90/110 in America, what

Feedback Score
    Not that the Suburban or Tahoe fit the bill here, but GM is bringing the evidently very nice to drive 3.0L I6 turbodiesel in the upcoming Suburban and Tahoe. I can't help but think 277hp/460lb-ft in front of a 10 speed auto pulling down 25-28mph highway in a pretty hefty rig won't be a good combination.

Now if they would just make sure the engine and transmission are reliable or partner with Toyota like BMW did on the Supra.... let Toyota finesse it and make it to their standards..... put it in a NA market Land Cruiser Prado or TRD Pro 4Runner with a Torsen AWD center diff and locking axles.....

Hey a guy can dream.

Feedback Score
    Imagine an engine like that in a mid sized SUV, with Japanese reliability.

The future does not bode well for 20mpg highway SUVs.

It’s one of those maddening things.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    GM has proven that they can build a good diesel at least the 6.6L and 2.8L have good reputations, and the 3.0L I6 should have the potential to be good. Toyota already has partnered with BMW for an engine and transmission, no reason they couldn’t do it again. Last I checked BMW makes a 3.0L I6 turbodiesel, I would just hope that Toyota could make sure it gets a dose of Toyota QC/QA and any design improvements needed to meet those standards.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Modern engines, airbags, crash bars and crumple zones- what's missing to allow them to come?

I saw a report that the Land Cruiser might not be coming back. Not saying that these are the replacement for them, but if you move the 4Runner up market a bit you could make room for these at the low end. Bring them in for a few years, alternate to an FJ for a few years and back to these.

Since my next car is probably for the kids to drive mostly, I'd want more safety (active and passive), but for 'me' that four door could be my transpo. I like those bifold back doors.
    I'm guessing the willingness on the part of Toyota. I'm guessing, "Chicken tax." I'm also guessing that the diesel engines don't help the calculations tip in favor of import at Toyota, either.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    I'm guessing the willingness on the part of Toyota. I'm guessing, "Chicken tax." I'm also guessing that the diesel engines don't help the calculations tip in favor of import at Toyota, either.
    The brochure has what looks like a diesel and gas option.....
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm thinking there's probably not a big market for these here. The boxy look and basic 1990 interior (slightly updated) will only appeal to a small enthusiast segment.

No touchscreen....in fact no screen, just a digital display for the radio. Old school levers for the climate control, no backup camera. No any kind of modern tech. For me that's totally fine, my car now kinda resembles that and it suits me but I'm not the larger segment of the buyers
    Last edited by Arik; 12-12-19 at 06:42.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would buy the LC70 wagon in an instant. Black rubber bumpers, no touchscreen, etc.

Really though, it would seem like now would be the time to bring these in with the Jeep Gladiators getting all the hype. The marketing is simple - Same as the Gladiator but not a piece of crap.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    And a DShK in the back.

Feedback Score
    I think the price point would be the key, which I would think is fairly low. Look at all the people refurb'ing old LCs and the money they get. Sure, the question is how big of a market, but I think there really is a minimalistic, long-term owner market out there. I agree that it would have a hard time fitting in now. But if you do pull the current LC and the 4 runner moves upscale- like all models have a tendency to do- you'd get some space at the bottom. Plus, it would be the only real thing in that market space. Business case, business case, business case.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by meausoc View Post
    And a DShK in the back.
    That option comes on the Limited model!

What I'd like is something smaller than my 4Runner but more room in the truck than a Wrangler. Like the older 2dr Bronco II. Little SUVs that were somewhere between a Tracker and a full size. Maybe a 2dr 4Runner!!!
    Last edited by Arik; 12-12-19 at 08:31.

Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast