Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: With no LandCruiser 70, or Defender 90/110 in America, what

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    25 year old cars can be imported.

I'd buy either a 25 year old defender or land cruiser 70 and spend the balance you would have spent on a new vehicle and restore it.

I'm a G wagen guy. I have a 1982 SWB with a all mechanical turbo diesel and a manual transmission. My wife and I both have year 2000 G500s. These are very basic by todays standards but still luxurious with leather, heated seats and power windows. All the climate control and that type of stuff is manual throw levers. These two cars were grey market imports, my 1982 was a recent import from Italy.

I'm obviously partial to the G wagen. My next choice would be the Landcruiser fj70.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    >Dedicated off-road vehicle
    >Has to be trailered/towed to location

Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Why not just have a dedicated off-road rig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    >Dedicated off-road vehicle
    >Has to be trailered/towed to location
    I never said the dedicated off-road rig couldn’t be road legal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you truly off-road and daily drive in one vehicle. Get a 4runner or Taco and be done already. A 3" lift on either will get you anywhere and back with little to no drama. Just do all maintenance and keep an eye on things and you'll be golden.

The 4runner is the last BOF selectable 4X4 vehicle that is worth a damn. They just don't make many of them anymore. It's either a wrangler (QC is hit and miss) and a lot of drama and $wrenching$ or a 4runner and you just keep going with minimal issues.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    Can someone explain the two Jeep JL engine options? Most testers don’t see much performance difference. If i’m Here at 5500 feet and can go to 12000 easily, is the turbo going to hold more power.

We’ve had three jeeps and the ergonomics are great- the stereo control on a GJC is simple yet powerful. Engineering, a “please don’t take my class again D” grade. It would be fine if they were cheap, but they aren’t and it isn’t like the used ones are cheap.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ramairthree View Post
    Few AWD SUVs are here, and typically expensive like a LandCruiser or Lexus.
    Answer: Buy a 2015 or before LX570 (LC to few and far between) for 1/2 off or more and go hit the trails. A video to show capability. My 2015 is unstoppable and will be for another 350K miles....at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNyFYsXyJw

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    Can someone explain the two Jeep JL engine options? Most testers don’t see much performance difference. If i’m Here at 5500 feet and can go to 12000 easily, is the turbo going to hold more power.

We’ve had three jeeps and the ergonomics are great- the stereo control on a GJC is simple yet powerful. Engineering, a “please don’t take my class again D” grade. It would be fine if they were cheap, but they aren’t and it isn’t like the used ones are cheap.
    I HIGHLY recommend staying away from the Fiat engines. Unless you buy a big boy warranty package, then you may not have to worry about it. They have lots of issues. If you do some reading on the multiair engines, you get an idea of the madness.
    The 3.6 seems to be okay.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I have an '06 Lexus GX (Lexus-badged LC Prado) and I really like it for everything: daily driving, off-roading, whatever.

Except the mileage sucks and it says, "use premium fuel only," on the filler cap. But I'm into my third year of ownership and the only things that have needed doing are brakes - and that's with over 190k on it (belts and water pump and other c. 180k preventative maintenance were done by the dealership before I bought it).
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    Answer: Buy a 2015 or before LX570 (LC to few and far between) for 1/2 off or more and go hit the trails. A video to show capability. My 2015 is unstoppable and will be for another 350K miles....at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BNyFYsXyJw
    The LX570 is great. It's a luxury package LC with some differences, even beyond what MT discussed in the video.

One thing to be weary of if you plan to wheel a Lexus is you will be replacing suspension bushings at a fast pace.

Lexus has that legendary smooth ride due to a lot of factors, but one is the soft bushings. Wheeling them wears them out super quick. Really fast.

In the video he tries his best to make that "trail" out to be "Crazy", but it is very tame. I could probably literally run it in an '87 Buick Regal...

Not to say that the LX isn't capable, but he didn't do anything in it that is challenging at all.

He did mention the less than favorable approach angle, but with a bigger rig like the LX that's designed more for luxury in mind, but is capable- it's hard to NOT have those issues.

No locking diff. Not a huge deal overall, but a deal breaker for me. I want at a minimum a locking center diff.
    Last edited by THCDDM4; 07-15-19 at 17:13.
    We interrupt this programme to bring you an important news bulletin: the suspect in the Happy Times All-Girl Glee Club slaying has fled the scene and has managed to elude the police. He is armed and dangerous, and has been spotted in the West Side area, armed with a meat cleaver in one hand and his genitals in the other...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by THCDDM4 View Post
    No locking diff. Not a huge deal overall, but a deal breaker for me. I want at a minimum a locking center diff.
    My 2015 has a locking center diff as most LC have had back a good while....including GX (Prados) as well.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast