Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: With no LandCruiser 70, or Defender 90/110 in America, what

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by murphy j View Post
    I have an 05 GX that I love. It is without a doubt the nicest vehicle I have ever owned in my over 30 years of driving. Very capable offroad as well.
    It's his work car. His "family" car is a 15 GX460. I think when he finally goes to see it I'll buy it.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    It's his work car. His "family" car is a 15 GX460. I think when he finally goes to see it I'll buy it.
    Mine is a do everything car. It was the primary family car until my wife got her highlander last summer. I've used it for family trips, camping, work, you name it. They also make great overland expedition rigs. There's a number of videos on youtube where guys have done it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    They had a V8 4Runner which was basically the cheaper version of the GX 470
    Yeah I am quite familiar with the 4th Gen 4Runner, one of my favorites. Sold quite a few of them when I worked for a Toyota dealership.

However I’m not going to buy a 10 year old vehicle to be a daily driver. I already have a 2007 Tundra, I don’t need or want another older Toyota.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Sold my '64 IIA after my 2nd back surgery and wrenching on it became too painful. Miss that truck dearly.

Still have our 97 Discovery. Beat to hell off road. My wife and son have both been in accidents in it. I've rebuilt it and bought it back from the insurance as a salvage title. Only 175k miles on it, but it's mostly LA stuff so brutal stop and go traffic. My son leaves for college next month so it will go back into the driveway soon as a weekend runabout. Still going strong.

Given some time and $, I'd love to pick up a 95 SWB Range Rover Classic to clean up.
    - Jeff

“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” ― George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Thought I had posted about this, but last night outage might ave eaten it.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/2...e-usable-tech/

New Defender, says it is coming to the US. Not body on frame, but unibody. Starts at 50K. Seems like another Discovery to me?

Also, off topic, but they launched the new C8 corvette last night. I actually watched the launch event. They tried to tie it in with the Apollo 50yr moon stuff and NASA. I thought it all came off really stiff, the audience even seemed a bit bored with all the talk. The Corvette is cool- you don't need to try to tie stealth fighters and NASA to it- it is cool unto itself.

You have a sub $60k car that can go 0-60 in under 3 seconds- why bring in two people that look like Star Trek rejects and two GM corporate guys to waste 15 min. If you want a metaphor, how a US calvary man hacking and slashing through Italian and Germans.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post

New Defender, says it is coming to the US. Not body on frame, but unibody. Starts at 50K. Seems like another Discovery to me?

Also, off topic, but they launched the new C8 corvette last night. I actually watched the launch event. They tried to tie it in with the Apollo 50yr moon stuff and NASA. I thought it all came off really stiff, the audience even seemed a bit bored with all the talk. The Corvette is cool- you don't need to try to tie stealth fighters and NASA to it- it is cool unto itself.

You have a sub $60k car that can go 0-60 in under 3 seconds- why bring in two people that look like Star Trek rejects and two GM corporate guys to waste 15 min. If you want a metaphor, how a US calvary man hacking and slashing through Italian and Germans.
    New Defender doesn't interstate's me in the least. Mid 90s D90 is a different story. I also watched the Corvette reveal. I was aware of the history of the Corvette with the astronauts, but they did a poor job of tying the moon landing to it in my opinion. The thought of owning a C7 Z06 had me a little excited, and I've been contemplating saving up for one, but with the performance the C8 is displaying, I think I'll save up for the Z06 version of it.

Feedback Score
    New Defender doesn't interstate's me in the least. Mid 90s D90 is a different story. I also watched the Corvette reveal. I was aware of the history of the Corvette with the astronauts, but they did a poor job of tying the moon landing to it in my opinion. The thought of owning a C7 Z06 had me a little excited, and I've been contemplating saving up for one, but with the performance the C8 is displaying, I think I'll save up for the Z06 version of it.
    And this is the base model.... like you said, a Z06 or ZR1 let alone what a tuner could do... I wonder if Cadillac will get a all-E/hybrid version of the platform?

Next 4runner is my major pivot point.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And this is the base model.... like you said, a Z06 or ZR1 let alone what a tuner could do... I wonder if Cadillac will get a all-E/hybrid version of the platform?

Next 4runner is my major pivot point.
    I suspect it'll be awhile before I purchase a newer SUV. With an 05 GX daily driver, and a 95 LC to restore, I'm pretty set.

There's a rumor of a 1000hp E/Hybrid Corvette in preliminary development. How accurate a rumor I can't say. I suspect the Z06 version is twin turbo, similar to the Cadillac Blackwing architecture. There's been several videos where you can hear a turbo like whine when the car takes off. I've never really been a Corvette guy, but for some reason I'm excited about the new one. Maybe it's my age.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Considering the general reliability and value of LR no thank you

Feedback Score
    I suspect it'll be awhile before I purchase a newer SUV. With an 05 GX daily driver, and a 95 LC to restore, I'm pretty set.

There's a rumor of a 1000hp E/Hybrid Corvette in preliminary development. How accurate a rumor I can't say. I suspect the Z06 version is twin turbo, similar to the Cadillac Blackwing architecture. There's been several videos where you can hear a turbo like whine when the car takes off. I've never really been a Corvette guy, but for some reason I'm excited about the new one. Maybe it's my age.
    Plus, think about a $60k Corvette and how they don't hold their value very well. A two-three year old one for $30k? Start dropping some parts into that. If it does what it seems it can do, those Top Gear type guys are going to have to shut their crumpet holes.

On the LR side, I hope someone can break the tech push for ever more techy and expensive and less capable SUVs and get back to leaner, cheaper and more capable- but I think the safety regs and economics make that unlikely. The JL is probably as close to the simple as we can get, unless Mahindra breaks some barriers.
    Last edited by FromMyColdDeadHand; 07-19-19 at 19:56.

It's that simple.

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast